intermitant fasting

You can only truly appreciate IF when you have a few days of a breakfast and small meals throughout the day..

I've been cutting weight now for the last 3 weeks but been doing LG for a while, decided to have a few days of 4-6 small meals a day (thinking when I go back to fasting it will be more effective :p) and I truly understood how good IF.

I missed my big meals and no better way than just eating 320g carbs post workout just :D

If you are doing 16 hours a day I wouldn't worry about it. Every once in a while (once or twice a month; this will probably happen naturally) I would take a day off but with the short fasts I don't think its a big deal.

I meant it more for the people that are doing 20-24 hour fasts almost daily.

Ok, I had thought that's what you were talking about, but figured it couldn't hurt to get some clarification. Between a late night or two with coffee before exams, or whatever happens on the weekend, I end up taking a day off every now and then anyway. Thanks!

Trying this method for No Gi Pan Ams this Saturday. I've had problems with IBJJF cuts in the past, so hopefully I won't be miserable the last 2 days like before. One thing that I had a question on is what should I eat if you guys say no carbs during this week?

I've actually been having similar reservations about meat intake, particularly red meat. The iron intake curve and the mortality curve are nearly identical, with very no ways for men to excrete iron (outside of blood donations/letting) and it being responsible for so much oxidative damage it makes me think there might be some reasoning behind reducing protein intake (although I think the increased intake has some advantages for overweight people). That combined with increased cortisol secretion in response to high protein feeding makes me think it's not all it's cracked up to be. Obviously this is if longevity is concerned - performance and body composition may require a different way of looking at it.

What about other sources of protein? If you were training hard wouldn't the benefit of recovering better offset the increased cortisol secretion? Is there a number say X grams per kg that you think is a happy medium?

Thanks

Arpie

The biggest pain in the ass is when my girlfriend constantly says 'I never get to eat just normal meals with my boyfriend!!' or 'I have to eat on my own all the time' blah blah

The girl can not understand IIFYM either so then she goes mad at me saying 'you do this bullshit diet and then binge the rest of the night' but that's what IF is all about..

She doesn't mean it but fuck does it piss me off.

Currently doing lean gains/warrior diet mix. I am breaking my fast at the usual 16 mark but I'm treating as an under eating phase only having a few pieces of fruit and BCAA's pre workout, then have a big protein carb meal after training.

currently lost 3-4lb and I think I'm currently about 8-9% body fat with about 4lbs left to go. Felt some real fatgue setting in the other day but I think it was because I really upped the caffeine with some diet pills and coffee and it back fired so I'm having a caffeine break for a couple of days and then only stick with 1-2 coffees a day.

The biggest pain in the ass is when my girlfriend constantly says 'I never get to eat just normal meals with my boyfriend!!' or 'I have to eat on my own all the time' blah blah

The girl can not understand IIFYM either so then she goes mad at me saying 'you do this bullshit diet and then binge the rest of the night' but that's what IF is all about..

She doesn't mean it but fuck does it piss me off.

Currently doing lean gains/warrior diet mix. I am breaking my fast at the usual 16 mark but I'm treating as an under eating phase only having a few pieces of fruit and BCAA's pre workout, then have a big protein carb meal after training.

currently lost 3-4lb and I think I'm currently about 8-9% body fat with about 4lbs left to go. Felt some real fatgue setting in the other day but I think it was because I really upped the caffeine with some diet pills and coffee and it back fired so I'm having a caffeine break for a couple of days and then only stick with 1-2 coffees a day.

I'm not sure I understand how you're missing out on "normal' meals with her. At least personally, I live with my girl but we both work so we wouldn't have lunch together, I never really ate breakfast and then we have dinner when I get home from the gym. The only thing that bothers her is that we don't go out for breakfast on the weekends anymore, which was like 1x/month anyways.

And yeah don't overdo the caffeine. Buddy of mine literally almost just died from an espresso + pre-workout + diet pill combo. I'm sure he enjoyed that hospital stay.

Or, you know, you could just eat with her in the morning every once in a while because breaking your protocol doesn't mean the world will implode.

I mean, strictly adhering to a single dietary protocol without exception and against the wishes of a loved one is surely ideal, right? Gotta get swole bro.

Oh yeah forgot to mention its a long distance relationship. We see each other 3-4 days a week and they mainly fall on the weekends so I can see why it does her head in.

Can't break the fast bro! feel too damn fucking hungry if I do :eek:

Or, you know, you could just eat with her in the morning every once in a while because breaking your protocol doesn't mean the world will implode.

I mean, strictly adhering to a single dietary protocol without exception and against the wishes of a loved one is surely ideal, right? Gotta get swole bro.

This. Personally, this is why I took so well to IF. The flexibility of it is so much better than adhering to a diet.

If I really don't feel like fasting I don't. Some days I feel like eating and I push through, while some days I just eat.

Is there any evidence that IF can help prevent cancer development, and if so, is it more effective than a very low carb diet to improve overall health for most individuals?

Oh yeah forgot to mention its a long distance relationship. We see each other 3-4 days a week and they mainly fall on the weekends so I can see why it does her head in.

Can't break the fast bro! feel too damn fucking hungry if I do :eek:

Just have one day a week be a non-fasting day. I mean, I usually don't fast on the weekends anyway. I do if I feel like it, but I usually spend Sat afternoon to Sunday night eating :)

Just weighing in with my experiences of IF having done it for 3 months. I'm down from 101kg to 90kg, this was combined with training 6 days a week 3x strength 3x MMA/BJJ. I was eating vegan for a while due to a girlfriend which contributed I'm sure. Strength levels have only dropped slightly but my pressing has a gotten stronger. Getting back into a stricter 18/6 routine as I was doing 16/8 for a while. I like that I can still eat junk if I want such as Krispy Kreme, pastry or Snicker right when I break my fast.

I eat at work mostly 10-4 as I go straight to the gym from there and don't get back til 10 so have no time to prepare food. Only problem is I don't eat after MMA/BJJ but my hunger drops anyway. Just make sure I stuff myself in those 3 meals and eat high carb calorie dense stuff to hit 2200kcals. Goal bodyweight 85kg and see how my body composition is from there.

Is there any evidence that IF can help prevent cancer development, and if so, is it more effective than a very low carb diet to improve overall health for most individuals?

There is no real evidence that a low carb diet is healthy for normal people.
There are some studies in animals that indicate that IF gives some, if not most, of the benefits of CR. However, the main thing in primates seems to be protein, i.e. IGF-1, restriction.

There is no real evidence that a low carb diet is healthy for normal people.
There are some studies in animals that indicate that IF gives some, if not most, of the benefits of CR. However, the main thing in primates seems to be protein, i.e. IGF-1, restriction.

What would classify as protein restriction...how much a day is too much etc.? Doesn't fasting lower IGF-1 as well? Would eating only 0.6-0.8 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass be considered low enough protein intake to get the anti-caner benefits in your understanding? Can you provide a link to study...thanks

What would classify as protein restriction...how much a day is too much etc.? Doesn't fasting lower IGF-1 as well? Would eating only 0.6-0.8 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass be considered low enough protein intake to get the anti-caner benefits in your understanding? Can you provide a link to study...thanks

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/09/080924151018.htm

Don't know if there are any newer studies. It obviously still needs to be studied. Until then, I wouldn't go much below the recommended amount, which you also stated (calculated from an ideal body-weight for your height, I would guess).
There are studies on animals where methionine-restriction also gave similar benefits to CR. Methionine is rate-limiting for building biomass, for instance. It's obviously much harder to restrict, since pretty much all animal protein is full of it and you would basically have to go vegan. But it does give some credence to protein being a major culprit.
There are also studies where vegetarians and and occasional meat eaters (once a week or so) live the longest and the healthiest. Red meat eaters seem to do the worst, but I'm not sure how well those studies eliminate confounding factors such as overall unhealthy lifestyles.
If you would go vegan, I would recommend carnosine/beta-alanine however, since that is mainly found in meat. It seems to be quite important, especially when you get up in age, to avoid AGE (advanced glycation endproducts).
http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2006/jan2006_awsi_01.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarianism#Longevity

Last edited:
Back