Intermittent fasting bro's gtfih

MaxMMA

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Been trying to IF for the last few weeks with some success thus far.

I have no problems going all day without eating and in fact am experiencing what others talk about in that I'm not even feeling hungry during my fast. My issue primarily is the feasting side of IF.

For the first week I didn't count macros or calories, I just ate as much as I possibly could. Some days I got enough as I felt energized and fresh for all my workouts. Other days not so much, I could immediately tell when I started working out if I had consumed enough the night before.

A few nights ago I counted my macros and found out that I was covering my carbs and fats sufficiently and fairly easily but getting down 217g protien I still haven't been able to do. Anyone have any tips or advice for consuming protien?

Also I would like to say that my sleep has been affected by IF. Since my days in the army I've battled insomnia but since I started IF it has been much easier to put my head down and go to bed. I hope this benefit continues as I continue to IF.

Which brings me to my next question. Eating before you go to sleep. Anytime I bring IF up to anyone they always say "eating before you go to bed is the worst time to eat!" Is there any truth to this old wives tale, or is it just ignorance. An article on the matter would be greatly appreciated as I think it's BS.

Whether you're fasting or not usually after a meal you get sleepy, isn't that our body trying to tell us something? Also as other IF bro's on YouTube explained using broscience, animals in the wild sometimes go days without eating and then gourge themselves when they have the opportunity to eat, right after they crash out.

Lastly I would like to say that I will attempt to build myself to be able to consume all my calories for the day in 1 meal. Have anyone of you been able to do this? Besides convience and a surefire way of putting you to sleep, what other benefits would there be from eating 1 meal as opposed to 3-4 meals during your feasting phase?

After hearing Dr rhonda patrick saying caffeine was a xenobiotic, ending the fast, i am now wondering how the fuck to do this.

Kinda need that caffeine

After hearing Dr rhonda patrick saying caffeine was a xenobiotic, ending the fast, i am now wondering how the fuck to do this.

Kinda need that caffeine
Didn't know that, can anyone confirm this is true?

[QUOTE="MaxMMA, post: 143375065, member: 517803"
Which brings me to my next question. Eating before you go to sleep. Anytime I bring IF up to anyone they always say "eating before you go to bed is the worst time to eat!" Is there any truth to this old wives tale, or is it just ignorance. An article on the matter would be greatly appreciated as I think it's BS.
[/QUOTE]

This is an old athlean X video about why he believes eating just before sleep CAN be beneficial if you consume the right food.
I find this video very interesting. for a start, I'm not and never have been a good sleeper. Anyway, watch the vid and you'll see.

What do you mean with IF? You mean alternate day fasting, 5:2 fasting, a time restricted eating schedule or a combination?

Kinda need that caffeine

Yeah, I was kinda disheartened by that as well.

The good thing is that she's literally the only person I've heard mention that. And I've watched and heard dozens of IF experts. She's outnumbered 20-to-1 or something. She could still be right but I'd like to go ahead and think she isn't.

Been trying to IF for the last few weeks with some success thus far.

I have no problems going all day without eating and in fact am experiencing what others talk about in that I'm not even feeling hungry during my fast. My issue primarily is the feasting side of IF.

For the first week I didn't count macros or calories, I just ate as much as I possibly could. Some days I got enough as I felt energized and fresh for all my workouts. Other days not so much, I could immediately tell when I started working out if I had consumed enough the night before.

A few nights ago I counted my macros and found out that I was covering my carbs and fats sufficiently and fairly easily but getting down 217g protien I still haven't been able to do. Anyone have any tips or advice for consuming protien?

Also I would like to say that my sleep has been affected by IF. Since my days in the army I've battled insomnia but since I started IF it has been much easier to put my head down and go to bed. I hope this benefit continues as I continue to IF.

Whether you're fasting or not usually after a meal you get sleepy, isn't that our body trying to tell us something? Also as other IF bro's on YouTube explained using broscience, animals in the wild sometimes go days without eating and then gourge themselves when they have the opportunity to eat, right after they crash out.

Lastly I would like to say that I will attempt to build myself to be able to consume all my calories for the day in 1 meal. Have anyone of you been able to do this? Besides convience and a surefire way of putting you to sleep, what other benefits would there be from eating 1 meal as opposed to 3-4 meals during your feasting phase?

Don't eat at least 3 hours before bed. If you yawn don't eat. If it gets dark don't eat.

Don't eat at least 3 hours before bed. If you yawn don't eat. If it gets dark don't eat.

Next to impossible. I work 8 hours a day, train in the morning, and in the evening. I get home roughly 1-2 hours before going to sleep. My meal/meals are currently at the end of the day when I get home.

Also that's a long video, can you time stamp where he talks about eating before sleeping?

Next to impossible. I work 8 hours a day, train in the morning, and in the evening. I get home roughly 1-2 hours before going to sleep. My meal/meals are currently at the end of the day when I get home.

Also that's a long video, can you time stamp where he talks about eating before sleeping?
Basically, we have a light sensitive cell in our eyes called melanopsin and it sends signals to a part of the brain called the suprachiasmatic nucleus which is the master clock and regulates all other clocks. There is a clock in the liver, gut and so on. At night, when it is dark, we produce melatonin which affects the production of insulin, it slows it down. This means that you are going to bed with high blood glucose levels and your digestive system and liver is digesting food inefficiently when it should be repairing itself. And much more. He has a book, the circadian code.

He and the experts in the field recommend to limit food intake to a 12 hour window (no more than 12 and no less than 8).

I used to be addicted or highly dependent on sleeping pills. I used to take 4 tylenol pm pills every night and I would wake up feeling like total trash. IF cured that out of my life and probably saved my life too.

I used to be addicted or highly dependent on sleeping pills. I used to take 4 tylenol pm pills every night and I would wake up feeling like total trash. IF cured that out of my life and probably saved my life too.
What do you mean with IF? IF could be anything from alternate day fasting, 5:2 feeding/fasting, a time restricted eating schedule or a combination.

What do you mean with IF? IF could be anything from alternate day fasting, 5:2 feeding/fasting, a time restricted eating schedule or a combination.
I did 17 to 24 hour fasts for at least 5 days a week. I don’t really fast on the weekends.

lol Wtf am I suppose to do during winter when it's already dark at 4pm?

@MaxMMA

13g - 1 egg (4 eggs = 52g)
30g - generic protein powder per 1 scoop (4 scoops = 120g)
31g - 1 average sized chicken breast
21g - large handful of almonds

= 224g of protein.

@MaxMMA

13g - 1 egg (4 eggs = 52g)
30g - generic protein powder per 1 scoop (4 scoops = 120g)
31g - 1 average sized chicken breast
21g - large handful of almonds

= 224g of protein.
Are you eating ostrich eggs? My eggs nutrition facts say 6g of protien per egg.

I have not intermittent fast in a while because I just moved to an area of NYC where there is too much good street food, but I promise I will again.

Yeah, I was kinda disheartened by that as well.

The good thing is that she's literally the only person I've heard mention that. And I've watched and heard dozens of IF experts. She's outnumbered 20-to-1 or something. She could still be right but I'd like to go ahead and think she isn't.

I've been doing 16/8 for years now and for close to 2 years I've added one or two 20-24 hours fast per week. I drink a lot of coffee especially during 24 hours fast.

So I did not get any bloodwork before/after or anything measured, but among other things my skin is much better and I've lost a bunch of fat (much more than with a regular diet).
Not sure that's enough to say that coffee is ok for sure, but at least it doesn't seem to be all that bad.

Guys can you give advice?Will try IF for first time . Im fairly experienced when it comes to training but as dieting Im a noob.

Age 35 male
Goal: build muscle and lose some fat.

I workout around 5 am, 3 to 4 times a week.

My question is where do I start and break my fast?

Are bcaas fine during fasting?

And is it better 16:8 or just fast during non training days?

Tia

Ps i apologize for posting on your thread ts

schedule it so you break the fast post working out

bccas are fine as is coffee

fine tune it based on how the body reacts.. for some people it takes a while to get used to. try softening it up and go 14/8, 13/9, etc till you are ready to add a few more hours

notice a big difference when I can fit in one 24+ hour fast a week

Back