Intermittent fasting bro's gtfih

schedule it so you break the fast post working out

bccas are fine as is coffee

fine tune it based on how the body reacts.. for some people it takes a while to get used to. try softening it up and go 14/8, 13/9, etc till you are ready to add a few more hours

notice a big difference when I can fit in one 24+ hour fast a week

Pretty much all of this.

I'd only add that the more you fast, the better. So going 16/8 every single day should be the goal. Once you've managed that, maybe try to slowly expand the fast and start going 17/7 or even 18/6.

24-hour fasts are some advanced shit for most people. I'd say don't worry about that until you're a few years into IF.

Hey Bro.. nice to see more and more people is trying IF.

A few nights ago I counted my macros and found out that I was covering my carbs and fats sufficiently and fairly easily but getting down 217g protien I still haven't been able to do. Anyone have any tips or advice for consuming protien?
217g of protein is a fucking lot. How much do you weight?

Also I would like to say that my sleep has been affected by IF. Since my days in the army I've battled insomnia but since I started IF it has been much easier to put my head down and go to bed. I hope this benefit continues as I continue to IF.

Which brings me to my next question. Eating before you go to sleep. Anytime I bring IF up to anyone they always say "eating before you go to bed is the worst time to eat!" Is there any truth to this old wives tale, or is it just ignorance. An article on the matter would be greatly appreciated as I think it's BS.
Good to hear that you can sleep better. Insomnia is a bitch.

Only time I experience problems with my sleep is when I eat too heavy (for example today: 1 big chicken breast (400g or so) + 1 plate of rice + 1 banana + 1 whole pizza + 1 little chocolate lol). Is like I have to digest a little bit before going to bed. Usually happens with red meat (if you try argentinian empanadas you will know what Im talking about).
But not more than that.

Lastly I would like to say that I will attempt to build myself to be able to consume all my calories for the day in 1 meal. Have anyone of you been able to do this? Besides convience and a surefire way of putting you to sleep, what other benefits would there be from eating 1 meal as opposed to 3-4 meals during your feasting phase?
I do it the days I train Kickboxing to help me being more focused in the class.
Usually I start with a salad (carrots, spinach, some cheese, cabbage, etc) and maybe some fruit. About 15 or 20 minuts after I eat a lot of chicken with a lot of carbs (brown rice or sweet potatos usually), 3 or 4 eggs, and if I have some space maybe I attack the fridge and eat some sandwich with weathever I find.

But Im only 60kgs (with stupidly low body fat %) so you might need eat a lot more.

Guys can you give advice?Will try IF for first time . Im fairly experienced when it comes to training but as dieting Im a noob.

Age 35 male
Goal: build muscle and lose some fat.

I workout around 5 am, 3 to 4 times a week.

My question is where do I start and break my fast?

Are bcaas fine during fasting?

And is it better 16:8 or just fast during non training days?

Tia

Ps i apologize for posting on your thread ts
Hey man... 16/8 is great and it works.
First day or two will might be a little hard but you will feel so much better after getting used to that you are not going to want to eat during the day anymore.
You will be hungry but that hunger goes away pretty quick.

You should eat dinner and then nothing else until 16 hours later.. easy as that. Try to eat healthy and you will be good.

There is not an universal formula for all of us so you go ahead and try different foods and see what fits better for you.

H
Been trying to IF for the last few weeks with some success thus far.

I have no problems going all day without eating and in fact am experiencing what others talk about in that I'm not even feeling hungry during my fast. My issue primarily is the feasting side of IF.

For the first week I didn't count macros or calories, I just ate as much as I possibly could. Some days I got enough as I felt energized and fresh for all my workouts. Other days not so much, I could immediately tell when I started working out if I had consumed enough the night before.

A few nights ago I counted my macros and found out that I was covering my carbs and fats sufficiently and fairly easily but getting down 217g protien I still haven't been able to do. Anyone have any tips or advice for consuming protien?

Also I would like to say that my sleep has been affected by IF. Since my days in the army I've battled insomnia but since I started IF it has been much easier to put my head down and go to bed. I hope this benefit continues as I continue to IF.

Which brings me to my next question. Eating before you go to sleep. Anytime I bring IF up to anyone they always say "eating before you go to bed is the worst time to eat!" Is there any truth to this old wives tale, or is it just ignorance. An article on the matter would be greatly appreciated as I think it's BS.

Whether you're fasting or not usually after a meal you get sleepy, isn't that our body trying to tell us something? Also as other IF bro's on YouTube explained using broscience, animals in the wild sometimes go days without eating and then gourge themselves when they have the opportunity to eat, right after they crash out.

Lastly I would like to say that I will attempt to build myself to be able to consume all my calories for the day in 1 meal. Have anyone of you been able to do this? Besides convience and a surefire way of putting you to sleep, what other benefits would there be from eating 1 meal as opposed to 3-4 meals during your feasting phase?
how much calories do you need a day.

So ive been doing this and i have focused on the 8 hour window of eating. Thats still a lot of tine for me, but damn if i can get enough calories in that amount. So, i increased the meal size....but doing that makes me fuller longer.

The hunger pains were the easiest to get used to and i still get them, maybe cuz of the fact i dont fast everyday.

Oh and was there any clarification of consuming caffeine since its a xenobiotic? If so or not, that got me wondering...

Fasting is...0 calories or minimal? Can a snack be acceptable or does it fuck it up? example...2 scoops of whey mixed with water. Hardly any calories, but they ARE calories.

I've been on IF for years and still get hungry in the morning, especially after a binge on the prior evening. Moreso if I'm not active. They go away after a few minutes though.

Based on my own case if coffee was a big issue, I don't think I would have seen the benefits I got so far. I drink quite a lot, especially on (20-24h) fasting days.

Martin from LG suggests taking 10g BCAA if you train in the morning on an empty stomach. I tried 5g for a few weeks but BCAA tastes like shit and I couldn't stand it...
However 2 scoops might be too much, I would not go above 30-50kcals max. imho.
FWIW, folks that go on long (above 10 days) fasts most often drink some kind of broth every day to get them vitamins & co. Based on what I've seen those are clearly not zero calories drinks (some kind of meat was used in the recipe along with vegs and herbs etc.).

After hearing Dr rhonda patrick saying caffeine was a xenobiotic, ending the fast, i am now wondering how the fuck to do this.

Kinda need that caffeine

Xenobiotic? We're making shit up now huh?

Technically under the grammatical translation of that word anything other than pure water that you drink or eat is xenobiotic unless you're a cannibal.

And under the microbiological definition it usually refers to man made industrial pollutants and only sometimes to high dose concentrated naturally occurring poisons like tetrodotoxin in a puffer fish.

Black coffee is not "ending a fasted state" however CNS stimulants including caffeine do have a dose dependent effect on the the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems. It's common that they can partially inhibit the parasympathetic nervous system. Essentially if you're on uppers you're ready to fight or flight and your body is taking resources away from the digestive system to support that readiness.

Last edited:
Xenobiotic? We're making shit up now huh?

Technically under the grammatical translation of that word anything other than pure water that you drink or eat is xenobiotic unless you're a cannibal.

Black coffee is not "ending a fasted state" however CNS stimulants including caffeine do have a dose dependent effect on the the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems. It's common that they can partially inhabit the parasympathetic nervous system. Essentially if you're on uppers you're ready to fight or flight and your body is taking resources away from the digestive system to support that readiness.
You know better than the experts in the field who say that tea/coffee breaks your fast?

You know better than the experts in the field who say that tea/coffee breaks your fast?

Given how the term xenobiotic is actually used in real life microbiology, using it to describe moderate coffee consumption outs the speaker pretty hard as an expert in nothing more than bro science.

Do the same people argue that other naturally occurring low calorie stimulants like cocaine and ephedrine break the fasted state?

You have to realize that this is a field with a massive amount of pseudoscience penetration in it.

To blindly follow "expert testimony" without reviewing methodology and how people arrive at conclusions is unscientific. It's believing religiously in the expert.

Also, Dr Patrick isn't even 40 and is not considered a "leader in the field" or an "expert on fasting physiology" by any source I've ever seen other than her own commercial for profit website. She has a PhD, and she's working for another Dr on their research team. That's about it.

You also seem quite ignorant of the fact that many things in the scientific community are pretty heavily debated. There is a great deal of disagreement in emerging fields which is a part of why when there is a consensus you know that has been tested to Hell and back.

There is no scientific consensus that zero calorie unsweetened (including non sugar sweeteners like aspartame, xylitol etc) stimulant beverages disturb or break a fasted state.

It's a hypothesis that has not yet been proven. When it's been proven over and over again in research then you can toss it around as if it were a fact.

But right now you're just spreading the unproven hypothetical conjecture of a young PhD still working on their post doc work and pretending that just because she was on a Rogan podcast she's a trusted expert in metabolic physiology.

Furthermore Dr Patrick was asked to provide a source for her claim on twitter and refused to answer the question or provide sources to support her hypothesis.

So, do you know of any data that supports her made up hypothesis? Because she hasn't put any forward.

Fucking A, Alex Jones had more data to support his absurd gay frog claim (the frogs in question were actually observed switching genders due to environmental pollution).

Last edited:
Given how the term xenobiotic is actually used in real life microbiology, using it to describe moderate coffee consumption outs the speaker pretty hard as an expert in nothing more than bro science.

Do the same people argue that other naturally occurring low calorie stimulants like cocaine and ephedrine break the fasted state?

You have to realize that this is a field with a massive amount of pseudoscience penetration in it.

To blindly follow "expert testimony" without reviewing methodology and how people arrive at conclusions is unscientific. It's believing religiously in the expert.

Also, Dr Patrick isn't even 40 and is not considered a "leader in the field" or an "expert on fasting physiology" by any source I've ever seen other than her own commercial for profit website. She has a PhD, and she's working for another Dr on their research team. That's about it.

You also seem quite ignorant of the fact that many things in the scientific community are pretty heavily debated. There is a great deal of disagreement in emerging fields which is a part of why when there is a consensus you know that has been tested to Hell and back.

There is no scientific consensus that zero calorie unsweetened (including non sugar sweeteners like aspartame, xylitol etc) stimulant beverages disturb or break a fasted state.

It's a hypothesis that has not yet been proven. When it's been proven over and over again in research then you can toss it around as if it were a fact.

But right now you're just spreading the unproven hypothetical conjecture of a young PhD still working on their post doc work and pretending that just because she was on a Rogan podcast she's a trusted expert in metabolic physiology.

Furthermore Dr Patrick was asked to provide a source for her claim on twitter and refused to answer the question or provide sources to support her hypothesis.

So, do you know of any data that supports her made up hypothesis? Because she hasn't put any forward.

Fucking A, Alex Jones had more data to support his absurd gay frog claim (the frogs in question were actually observed switching genders due to environmental pollution).

I was going to cite dr. Rhonda patrick on this.

Are you plainly disagreeing? Even she said there is still fasting effects with just caffeine.

I was going to cite dr. Rhonda patrick on this.

Are you plainly disagreeing? Even she said there is still fasting effects with just caffeine.

I'm plainly stating that I looked and could find no evidence anywhere for her claim on this matter. When people asked her to support her claim publicly, she didn't.

I'm open to actual data but at present there is no reason to believe this is anything more than her personal conjecture.

That doesn't mean she's definitely wrong, but at this point I cannot find any evidence that she's right on this.

When looking around at critiques of her work I did see multiple sources state that she has a habit of making unsubstantiated claims as if they were fact.

So right now evidence does not appear to be in her favor on this hypothesis of hers.

I'm plainly stating that I looked and could find no evidence anywhere for her claim on this matter. When people asked her to support her claim publicly, she didn't.

I'm open to actual data but at present there is no reason to believe this is anything more than her personal conjecture.

That doesn't mean she's definitely wrong, but at this point I cannot find any evidence that she's right on this.

When looking around at critiques of her work I did see multiple sources state that she has a habit of making unsubstantiated claims as if they were fact.

So right now evidence does not appear to be in her favor on this hypothesis of hers.
I agree.

Which is why i moved the fuck onto other questions.

I have heard you could drink coffee with heavy whipping cream with out breaking your fast, but i been doin this and feel like it’s hindering my fast

I have heard you could drink coffee with heavy whipping cream with out breaking your fast, but i been doin this and feel like it’s hindering my fast
Try leaving to work with your cash and debit/credit cards at home. It’s the best way to complete a clean fast. Also saves you money.

Try leaving to work with your cash and debit/credit cards at home. It’s the best way to complete a clean fast. Also saves you money.
Amen to that, but I was talking about that I think it ends my fast from the heavy whipping cream

Id recommend taking chanca piedra if you going to fast.
Fasting causes gallstones and such

Back