Invicta FC 9: Honchak vs Hashi 9pm et/6pm pt/1am UK DISCUSSION

But, yeah: it is quite annoying how not reliable MMA fighters height listings often are.

Lying about height is pretty typical in sports, or at least the ones like basketball and volleyball where height matters (not sure if MMA is one of those) but when an MMA TV show lists a fighter's reach, I was under the impression that that was some official measurement, not something put out by the fighter's manager. If that's the case, it would be nice if they would take the same tape measure and use it to measure height as well. If it's not the case, I wonder how accurate those measurements are?

Terrible card, OMG like almost the entire card went to decision! Pathetic!

Vanessa Porto vs. Roxanne Modafferi at Invicta FC 10 announced at the presser. Winner will face Barb Honchak for the FLW title.

That's just pathetic, but unfortunately same of the best FLWs are fighting in the UFC BW division.
And that's bad not having an interesting champ in the Invicta FLW division, this last title bout was hard to watch.

IMHO is like when Faber and Mike Brown were the FW kings of the world, the best fighters that could challenged them in that division like Edgar Guida Sherk Florian ... were fighting in the UFC LW division cauz the big show was there.

Frankly I hoped for a title elimination with DeAnna Bennett vs. Porto or Maia.

Things I learned from Invicta FC 9:

Jennny Liou-Shriver should either stick to jiu-jitsu tournaments or actually learn striking.

Kaitlin Young should either retire or become a kickboxer.

Andrea KGB Lee is impressive. A little more aggression, and she could be Ronda #2.

If Shannon Sinn is stranded on a planet with a year long night, she can fight aliens in the dark.

Mizuki's defensive boxing is not enough to win fights.

Polish women bring it.

Two women who were both beaten by Cat Zingano put on a boring fight.

Cyborg will make 135 in 2019.

The 5'3" Karolina Kowalkiewicz post-fight with the 5'4" Mizuki Inoue. Nice to see they are still friends afterwords. I am sure there is much more of that in the women's game then the men's.

It's tough to say as women are very catty and can really hold grudges. They don't take insults as well as men, in general.

Yeah really. Invicta FC has 12 flyweights (not counting Takayo Hashi) and they decide that her next fight will be against either of the only 2 fighters she has fought before out of the 12. And one of those two - Modaferri - has previously lost to Takao Hashi. I guess they are going with the name recognition of Modafferi to potentially create interest. Not sure why Porto is back so soon though. I guess it comes down to experience. But Jennifer Maia and Zoila Gurgel have enough but their losses to Porto and Leslie Smith respectively must have eliminated them.

I am new to WMMA and am looking forward to learning more about the landscape, so I don't know about the rankings, but I do know empty seats. Gotta be name recognition.

The lack of finishes is pretty brutal for them. Not going to be easy to ever sell tickets when fans know that excitement wise they aren't going to get it. As a fan live those are often the best parts.

Didn't get to watch the show though, so hopefully the fights were at least good but from the sound of the thread that wasn't the case?

The lack of finishes is pretty brutal for them. Not going to be easy to ever sell tickets when fans know that excitement wise they aren't going to get it. As a fan live those are often the best parts.

Didn't get to watch the show though, so hopefully the fights were at least good but from the sound of the thread that wasn't the case?

Fights where pretty good, but it wasn't the best show, last show had about 4 finishes (5 counting Waterson) in the main card and 2 submissions.

If you go to the wiki you'll notice that most finishes are submissions, KOs are very hard to get. But I don't know sometimes the ref let it go too much, and were bleeding like crazy. Like in the Amanda Bell fight where she was just going for the kill the other girl did nothing but shell up and was pounded the whole round, should've been stopped earlier.

You have to add that Invicta had stars at 115 (Tecia, Carla, Felice, Bec Hyatt,Rose, Jojo), 135 had Miriam that now her future is uncertain but always delivered nasty striking and had beautiful KO's, Lauren went to the UFC, 145 now Invicta has competition with bellator, taking Coenen and Budd with them.

Most of that came from the highly disappointing main event.

And IFC 8 had 3 (T)KOs out of 10 fights along with 3 subs and 4 decisions.

Last edited:
I would like to know if Hamasaki turned down a fight with Waterson. Tiburcio is a scrappy fighter, but hasn't actually fought at atomweight. Weird stuff.

how was it? It just started too late for me and i couldn't make it for most of it. I think it should have started 2 hours earlier. Anything really worth watching?

how was it? It just started too late for me and i couldn't make it for most of it. I think it should have started 2 hours earlier. Anything really worth watching?

The fights that were definitely worth watching IMO:

1) Karolina vs Mizuki.
2) Andrea Lee vs Shannon Sinn.
3) Raquel Pa'aluhi vs Kaitlin Young
4) Jamie Moyle vs Jenny Liou Shriver
5) Amanda Bell vs Maria Hougaard Djursaa

Avoid Honchack vs Hashi at all costs.

imho action-packed and nice as an event, btw absolutely not one of the best in Invicta FC history.

Like Ben wrote, avoid the main event at all costs, it was a disgrace and sadly Honchak will have another squash match in the next defence.

Again like in any other Invicta events we saw the rise of new prospects and talents: Kowalkiewicz (not really a prospect, she's a solid contender, KSW champ fighting in front of bigger attendance than the one she had yesterday, and has wins over Soukupova and Cive), Moyle, KGB, Bell, Brown (this last had a tough match).

Am I wrong or the attendance yesterday was incredibly small?
Without doing comparisons with the KSW events Karolina took part, but even some Deep Jewels events I think had more attendance ... about that, Monday there'll be Deep Jewels 6 with Ham defending her title.

Am I wrong or the attendance yesterday was incredibly small?

I was there, maybe 200-300 people in attendance and the venue probably couldn't have held much more than that

I guess since Honchack was an Invicta mainstain and champion probably Invicta could push the hometown hero ? Didn't work at all seems. At least there were people that were into the Barb stalling.

Like Ben wrote, avoid the main event at all costs, it was a disgrace and sadly Honchak will have another squash match in the next defense.

Well, VolHan, that actually is most likely not true. Roxy will most like likely get picked apart and TKOed by Vanessa Porto. And Barb`s victory over Porto was razor-thin...I have no problem with that rematch taking place. I`m not saying there aren`t more worthy challengers or more interesting fights to make, but Barb will not squash Vanessa.

Jarl

These were my picks before the fights began. Mizuki and Karolina was a toss-up and could have been a draw - don`t feel bad about that one. The only pick I was out-and-out wrong about was Liou Shriver-Moyle; Jenny was outclassed the whole fight and Jamie made me into a fan. Now, why can`t I be this accurate on the TUF 20 Fantasy League?

FLW TITLE: Barb Honchak (9-2) vs. Takayo Hashi (15-4)
SW: Mizuki Inoue (8-2) vs. Karolina Kowalkiewicz (5-0)
AW: Ayaka Hamasaki (10-1) vs. Herica Tiburcio (8-2)
BW: Kaitlin Young (7-8-1) vs. Raquel Pa'aluhi (3-4)
AW: Nicdali Rivera-Calanoc (8-7) vs. Jodie Esquibel (4-1)
AW: Amber Brown (3-1) vs. Liz McCarthy (2-1)
FW: Amanda Bell (2-2) vs. Maria Hougaard-Djursaa (5-5)
FLW: Shannon Sinn (1-1) vs. Andrea K. Lee (1-0)
SW:Jenny Liou Shriver (2-0) vs. Jamie Moyle (0-0)
FW: Kelly McGill (1-0) vs. Maegan Goodwin (0-0)

Jarl

Honchak is unwatchable. She doesn't even attempt to finish fights.

Inoue/KK was the highlight of the card.

This. Same as in Invicta 8, the best fight of the night (by far) is in the division they are going to lose entirely. Not a good sign.

Anyway, a really poor event. Still enjoyable though.

Back