Invicta FC 9: Honchak vs Hashi 9pm et/6pm pt/1am UK DISCUSSION

I was there, maybe 200-300 people in attendance and the venue probably couldn't have held much more than that

How does this work financially? Those are regional pro wrestling attendance numbers. I mean no disrespect, I'm simply curious.

I was there, maybe 200-300 people in attendance and the venue probably couldn't have held much more than that

In a way that's a good thing, in that they correctly judged the size of the venue so probably are accurately budgeting things.

How does this work financially? Those are regional pro wrestling attendance numbers. I mean no disrespect, I'm simply curious.

Well... I guess it works for regional pro wrestling, right? :p
Plus they get some money from FightPass (I've no idea how that works or how much, of course)

Anyway, a really poor event. Still enjoyable though.

If it was 'really poor' how did you enjoy it? I've seen a couple of people say it was terrible, which I don't get. Maybe the last fight soured it all for them. Otherwise, while it wouldn't make anyone's 'events of the year' list, it was just OK. It seems there's nothing inbetween 'super amazing awesome!' and 'terrible, worst card ever' for some people...

Personally I'll rate this card as quite bad. Only one finish for instance.

Karolina vs Mizuki, Moyle vs Shriver and the KGB were the only saving grace. The other fights either mediocre or below.

Personally I'll rate this card as quite bad. Only one finish for instance.

Karolina vs Mizuki, Moyle vs Shriver and the KGB were the only saving grace. The other fights either mediocre or below.

those were good, Young/Pa'aluhi & McCarthy/Brown were 'better than mediocre' IMO, that's just over half the card already; the others about mediocre, except Honchak/Hashi which was terrible.

pretty mixed card all round, invicta has a few jewels left but obviously dont have the funds to cast their net wider for quality fighters at the moment, notwithstanding mizuki and carolina, who i thought were fight of the night.they need a freindly billionare to invest! jamie moyle was a great standout as well, and liz mc carthy battled bravely, so too did raquel against kaitlin, who needs to rethink again.andrea lee looked great but i would like to see her against tougher competition.cant think why the attendance is going down so much. hope the next show is more up to the old standard.

The lack of finishes is pretty brutal for them. Not going to be easy to ever sell tickets when fans know that excitement wise they aren't going to get it. As a fan live those are often the best parts.

Didn't get to watch the show though, so hopefully the fights were at least good but from the sound of the thread that wasn't the case?

I missed 2-3 of the fights but it was pretty boring overall. It could have been saved with a good main event(like 179) but it was just dreadful and brought the event down as a whole.

FC 7 was also a long night full of decisions, but at least that card had some notable matchups with a few good fights sprinkled in.

...FC 7 was also a long night full of decisions...

I am relatively new to the scene, but I have been under the impression that there just aren't going to be as many finishes in WMMA (in comparison to men.) However, that's part of the reason that I enjoy WMMA more. Sure, spectacular knockouts are few and far between. However, it's because of this that the ladies are more likely to engage. They often just go for it with reckless abandon.

Personally, I enjoyed the entire card. Well, except for the main event, but that is a dead horse that has already been beaten. I will pay for Fight Pass just so I can watch the Invicta events. I have even considered attending one of the events. Maybe I can help bump the crowd up into triple digits. That place was a ghost town. Even the second row was empty!

And how about Karolina's front flip onto Mizuki's head?!! Sometimes, the unorthodox nature of WMMA just makes for a better show.

I agree with the above: I thought the whole event was great except for the main event. People seem to be bemoaning the lack of star-power, but Invicta has always been about building stars, not showcasing already made stars. They brought in fighters like KGB, Moye, McGill, Shriver, Brown, and Karolina for people to see for the first time (for most fight fans, any way). They did the same with Calderwood, Torres, Namajunas, etc. - fighters who were virtually unknown before they came to Invicta. In 6 months to a year, Andrea Lee, Kelly McGill, Jamie Moyle, Amber Brown, and K.K. will be mentioned in the same breath as previous Invicta stars. They just need their time to shine.

The match-ups were pretty good (for the most part) and only one fight consisted of a steamrolling and the fights were exciting. There were several back-and-forth contests that kept you glued to the screen until they announced the winner. I thought Raquel`s comeback victory (after getting her face turned into hamburger) was awesome. Maybe more finishes would have made it more interesting for casual fans...but I don`t want to see one-sided curb-stompings either (I prefer competitive match-ups). Several of the fights were actually close to being called: McCarthy`s cut, Goodwin`s cut, Shannon Sinn almost broken in half, Liou Shriver beaten nearly senseless. I think the main event just left a bad taste in everyone`s mouth and that is leading them to complain. That...and people just like to whine on Sherdog.

Jarl

Well, VolHan, that actually is most likely not true. Roxy will most like likely get picked apart and TKOed by Vanessa Porto. And Barb`s victory over Porto was razor-thin...I have no problem with that rematch taking place. I`m not saying there aren`t more worthy challengers or more interesting fights to make, but Barb will not squash Vanessa.

Jarl

Sure Vanessa gave the hardest fight to the champ by far, although Honchak won almost all rounds they were all close, but somewhat I think Barb showed the blueprint to beat THAT Vanessa Porto countering her low kicks with punches combos

Well, a second fight may play out completely differently. Porto knows she lost the first fight with that strategy, I doubt she`ll come back thinking she can take the title away from Barb with the same approach. But, if Barb just tries shoving her against the fence for 25 minutes...ugh...well, even then it won`t be the fault of match-makers or Porto.

Jarl

If it was 'really poor' how did you enjoy it?

Because i edited only the first sentence of the reply, it was something like "maybe the worst Invicta ever" and then "still enjoyable".

Anyway, i can't say that i didn't enjoy it because i loved Kowalkiewicz VS Inoue and the performance from KGB was interesting. But the event as a whole seemed poor to me.

Last edited:

Was this event in the Adler Theatre or the Mississippi River Hall of the RiverCenter?

Last edited:
RiverCenter according to the fight finder.

Was this event in the Adler Theatre or the Mississippi River Hall of the RiverCenter?

Great Hall is what my ticket says, there was a sign for Adler Theatre but I'm pretty sure it wasn't in there, basically not much bigger than a High School gym

RiverCenter according to the fight finder.

I know, but I was trying to see the capacity and RiverCenter is apparently a complex that has two places you could have an event. It probably was in the one that isn't set up like a theater with upper balcony seating. But even which ever one they used, in the video I just saw it looked like they had more empty seats up near the cage then filled. Not unexpected though, given the small market they held it in.

imho action-packed and nice as an event, btw absolutely not one of the best in Invicta FC history.

Like Ben wrote, avoid the main event at all costs, it was a disgrace and sadly Honchak will have another squash match in the next defence.

Again like in any other Invicta events we saw the rise of new prospects and talents: Kowalkiewicz (not really a prospect, she's a solid contender, KSW champ fighting in front of bigger attendance than the one she had yesterday, and has wins over Soukupova and Cive), Moyle, KGB, Bell, Brown (this last had a tough match).

Am I wrong or the attendance yesterday was incredibly small?
Without doing comparisons with the KSW events Karolina took part, but even some Deep Jewels events I think had more attendance ... about that, Monday there'll be Deep Jewels 6 with Ham defending her title.

Well I can't imagine going from one side of Missouri to the other brings in a lot of new attendees. I'm sure they could get their numbers up rotating around the country a bit more, heading to place like Atlantic City, Vegas or maybe LA. Especially now that they're getting some recognition via the UFC

Well, a second fight may play out completely differently. Porto knows she lost the first fight with that strategy, I doubt she`ll come back thinking she can take the title away from Barb with the same approach. But, if Barb just tries shoving her against the fence for 25 minutes...ugh...well, even then it won`t be the fault of match-makers or Porto.

Jarl

Yep. Also Porto had a broken thumb going into that fight. That fight might play out different if she doesn't have that injury.

Worth thinking about.

If you're in the sport for finishes, you're here for the wrong reasons. Finishes are great, but if you can't watch that event and enjoy the spirited, back and forth nature of this type of competition, then why not just watch highlight videos on youtube?

Two fighters go to bloody war for 15 mins and people are pissed that nobody died.

Back