Iphone is over $1000

I don't think buying a new phone is a waste if you plan on keeping it for several years. I still have an iPhone 5s that I bought new 5 years ago. When they were cheaper, upgrading annually made sense too because the scale of innovation was more rapid.

Nowadays, the innovations are less significant and the price has gone up. So, buying a new one and keeping it for 4+ years, like you would with most electronics makes sense to me.

This is basically this guy's gripe.

Charging a lot for a step back.

I love my iPhone but I sure as hell don’t camp out overnight for release date nor do I upgrade after every mini-release.
Same, my 7+ is still working great. I’ll eventually get a new one but am in no rush.

As a long time fan to me they are all way overpriced. I mean shit.... I saw Tito, Hughes, GSP, Franklin, Tanner and Lawler on the same card for $35. So when the sport got popular a year later and the prices went through the roof paying $100 for Fight Nights isn't up my alley. Everything is relevant. Some people think $1000 iPhone is overpriced. I think paying $100 to see Volkan headline a card is overpriced.
That was how long and how many "fighters should be paid more" threads ago?

Good luck getting 5 years out of a device that apple has said only has a 2 year lifespan. They also releases updates to slow down their phones to sell more. Not saying your not right in your purchase, just saying apple is shit for coming up with the term "planned obsolescence"

That's why I have never owned an apple phone in my life, and have a Note lol

I recall the telecommunications providers themselves have been caught throttling bandwidth to users on older phones, or funneling them into 3G instead of 4G/LTE coverage. They're all in on the same scam. Samsung is no better.

Let's not be disingenuous pretending that Android phones hold up better. No smartphones compare to iPhones in terms of viable handset longevity.
Yup.

i've read that is why you should stop doing the firmware updates on your phone once its a model or two old as that is how they throttle down or choke your phone. I've read the manufacturers saying they are slowing down your phone for good reason to help with battery life as the phone ages. I call B.S. on that.

If your phone is working well and not buggy just do not do the updates.

I'm going to disagree here. $1,000 is a lot of money. People shouldn't forget that just because they're comfortable spending it on something specific that they want.

I was reading something about well-to-do people's spending habits that stuck with me. People who become rich and stay that way generally don't overspend on stuff. When you look at the spending as a percentage of their earnings, they're quite frugal.

A guy that makes $500k a year and buys a $80k car is allocating 16% of a year's income on a car. So a guy making $100k would be buying a $16k car to match the wealthier guy's spending habits...but I'd gamble that most people making $100k are buying cars north of $25k.

It's the sort of thing that always sticks out to me, how easily people diminish money. $1000 is a lot of money. People have to work hard to get that amount of money. Even if you're getting paid $100/hr it's still 10 hours of your life. That's a lot of time and so it should be seen as a lot of money.

this is a very good rule of thumb as to how you should be managing your money and spending.

the-50-30-20-rule-of-thumb-453922-final-5b61ec23c9e77c007be919e1.png

If you can live to this and improve on this you should do well regardless of your income level.

I always track mine and am 25% Needs, 40% Wants and 35% savings.

My Needs are much lower as I purged myself of cars about 15 years ago and have never looked back as I ensure I live near where i work (3 minute walk) and use Car Share services (ZipCar & PogoCar) when needed to augment Uber. I also rent instead of owning and my company pays me a large rent subsidy.

My 'Wants' are higher as I splurge on vacations about 4 times a year and really do not cut any corners. And while I do not eat out a lot, when I do eat out, I don't cut any corners either.

And I have always focused on my 'Savings', particularly since I have not been building home equity.

this is a very good rule of thumb as to how you should be managing your money and spending.

the-50-30-20-rule-of-thumb-453922-final-5b61ec23c9e77c007be919e1.png

If you can live to this and improve on this you should do well regardless of your income level.

I always track mine and am 25% Needs, 40% Wants and 35% savings.

My Needs are much lower as I purged myself of cars about 15 years ago and have never looked back as I ensure I live near where i work (3 minute walk) and use Car Share services (ZipCar & PogoCar) when needed to augment Uber. I also rent instead of owning and my company pays me a large rent subsidy.

My 'Wants' are higher as I splurge on vacations about 4 times a year and really do not cut any corners. And while I do not eat out a lot, when I do eat out, I don't cut any corners either.

And I have always focused on my 'Savings', particularly since I have not been building home equity.

That's solid. The rules my parents passed down were:

1) Never buy a house if your spouse can't afford the mortgage on her own.
2) Never buy a car for more than $10,000 (a rule my dad broke when he crossed certain milestones financially).
3) Invest every penny and play the long game with the market.
4) That thing you want...you don't need it so don't buy it.
5) Why go to the bookstore when the library is free? (that's a stand in for basically anything where you can get a similar experience for significantly less money.)
6) If you absolutely have to buy it, spend what it takes to get quality and longevity. Be frugal, not cheap.

I try to follow them but I'm not as disciplined as they are.

I can't stand apple now. Their battery is trash.

Only poor people find the price ridiculous and lmao @ attending ufc events.
If nobody complained about the prices of things and blindingly paid 5 times what something is actually worth, then nothing would stop companies from completely raping their customers.

If you like to throw your money out the window, that's fine. But can't blame someone or call him poor for saying iPhones are way overpriced, which they are.

Yeah, this is getting so ridiculous. I was taken aback by sticker shock when choosing a new phone. I beefed away from the x because of price and no home button. I would switch to another phone, but use my iTunes too much and have too much money in it. Also, different interfaces seem so strange to me.

I can't stand apple now. Their battery is trash.
the worst part is the pain in replacing it by yourself. On top of that they gouge you on HDD space and barely upgraded their RAM.

I have the X and have been very underwhelmed. I think it's one of the most overrated things currently. I hate the notch with a passion. Your phone is not an experience you fucking hipsters!

Will be going back to the 6+ later this year, can't wait to have my precious headphone jack back. :cool: Not being able to listen to music while charging is bullshit.

Only new money ghetto people don’t think before spending on overpriced trash. Rich people are smart with their money that’s how they stay rich
Beri, we've been buds for a while now, right? Well, over the years I've noticed that it's almost like you've got a genetic predisposition to not spending money. I wonder what causes it. It's interesting

That's solid. The rules my parents passed down were:

1) Never buy a house if your spouse can't afford the mortgage on her own.
2) Never buy a car for more than $10,000 (a rule my dad broke when he crossed certain milestones financially).
3) Invest every penny and play the long game with the market.
4) That thing you want...you don't need it so don't buy it.
5) Why go to the bookstore when the library is free? (that's a stand in for basically anything where you can get a similar experience for significantly less money.)
6) If you absolutely have to buy it, spend what it takes to get quality and longevity. Be frugal, not cheap.

I try to follow them but I'm not as disciplined as they are.
I’d replace number one with, only buy a house you can afford on your own, and in your name only.

Luckily for me when I bought my first house the lender would approve me solo no problem but with my ex’s credit they said she could not be on the loan.

We broke up 2 years later. Still have house.

<{jackyeah}>

Back