Iphone is over $1000

I recall the telecommunications providers themselves have been caught throttling bandwidth to users on older phones, or funneling them into 3G instead of 4G/LTE coverage. They're all in on the same scam. Samsung is no better.

Let's not be disingenuous pretending that Android phones hold up better. No smartphones compare to iPhones in terms of viable handset longevity.
since i started making youtube vids and pay for the 1 TB a month data plan with comcast. I have been called by comcast multiple times asking why I am using so much bandwidth. they also ask me to upgrade my plan.

Buying new phones is such a waste of money. The prices drop so fast you might as well just get the last model for a fraction of the price.

My friend paid like 1k for his blackberry while I got my lg g6 for $0. I have a way better plan too, and our phones have almost the same specs.
I don't think buying a new phone is a waste if you plan on keeping it for several years. I still have an iPhone 5s that I bought new 5 years ago. When they were cheaper, upgrading annually made sense too because the scale of innovation was more rapid.

Nowadays, the innovations are less significant and the price has gone up. So, buying a new one and keeping it for 4+ years, like you would with most electronics makes sense to me.

I don't think they're too expensive either (expensive, yes, too expensive, no). The top end Samsung phones are right around that same price point. But if you don't need the latest stuff when shopping for a phone, yeah, it can make sense to just buy used.

I thought this was some sort of joke. Apparently the cheapest iphone you can get now is $750 plus tax and the best one is $1099 plus tax (the tax basically adds an extra $100).

I bought a brand new Samsung Galaxy Tablet for $60 recently and i can literally do anything on it except call someone.

Anyone else find these iphone prices ridiculous? you cant even drag and drop music, movies, retro video games, etc on to them.

For $1200 I could just get a samsung phone and go to the next 5 UFC events.
The latest Samsung phone is $1100 here in Canuckistan. Not much cheaper in the US, I'm sure. But hey, aren't you happy avoiding those pesky contracts?

ROFL
I paid $300 for my phone and it has 4GB RAM and 128GB of storage. If you're poor enough to complain about the cost of an I-thing and still buy one you're too dumb to hold on to money.

If you have to look at the price, you cannot aford it.

Work pays fro me phone and monthly plan. I am constantly amazed how much people will pay out of their ouwn pocket for a phone.

It's literally not a lot of money to someone that has a job that requires more than a GED. If you want to be stingy with your money, again that's perfectly fine. But 1k is literally not a lot of money. Literally.

I'm going to disagree here. $1,000 is a lot of money. People shouldn't forget that just because they're comfortable spending it on something specific that they want.

I was reading something about well-to-do people's spending habits that stuck with me. People who become rich and stay that way generally don't overspend on stuff. When you look at the spending as a percentage of their earnings, they're quite frugal.

A guy that makes $500k a year and buys a $80k car is allocating 16% of a year's income on a car. So a guy making $100k would be buying a $16k car to match the wealthier guy's spending habits...but I'd gamble that most people making $100k are buying cars north of $25k.

It's the sort of thing that always sticks out to me, how easily people diminish money. $1000 is a lot of money. People have to work hard to get that amount of money. Even if you're getting paid $100/hr it's still 10 hours of your life. That's a lot of time and so it should be seen as a lot of money.

Apparently unoriginal hipster crap is expensive.

kx6fuSC.gif

And UFC events aren't overpriced as hell?
Depends. Numbered PPVs maybe, but smaller events like Fight Nights seem pretty reasonable. The middle-tier seats for the upcoming event in Moncton NB are only $105 and the next tier is $133, so not bad imo.

I remember about 5 or 6 year ago, I guy I was working with had to get a loan to buy the most recent iPhone that came out. I think it was about 600 or 800, and he wound up with a high interest loan to go get it on the first day. Yeah, he was beyond poor

Aren't you in your 30's? I am also , and you'll be an " old fuck " well before then , friend.

Hahaha yeah I'm in my 30s, but I'm imagining a life where I make it to about 160 years old. I'm just holding out for the AI singularity to stick my brain in a computer and 3D print me a replacement body or some shit.

I recall the telecommunications providers themselves have been caught throttling bandwidth to users on older phones, or funneling them into 3G instead of 4G/LTE coverage. They're all in on the same scam. Samsung is no better.

Let's not be disingenuous pretending that Android phones hold up better. No smartphones compare to iPhones in terms of viable handset longevity.

Samsung and LG directly stated that they don't do the intentional throttling that Apple does.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...ung-lg-dont-slow-phones-older-batteries-apple

Now I'm not making the claim that they have more longevity than Iphones. Their atrocious software, bloatware and lack of timely updates does that all on their own. That's why I never buy a Samsung phone.

However, I have been using stock Android phones like the Pixel, One Plus 6 and Essential phones and they are not slowing down on me (at least yet.)

What I have a problem with Apple is this - they didn't tell their users that they slowed down their phones with updates, got caught red handed, and then lied about it saying it was to optimize the battery.

What complete horseshit. Everybody and their grandma knows it's to get people to upgrade to the latest model.

Even if you took an older Iphone and replaced it with a brand new battery, for some reason they still will send an update to "optimize" the battery so that the phone is basically unusable.

I actually briefly purchased last year's Iphone X, but then got pissed off that they were asking $70 for the fast charging brick. That and the fact that it was like $1,100+ after tax caused me to reconsider and return the phone. I pay full price at once for my phones and I couldn't justify that.

I wanted my next phone to be this year's Pixel, but the design is the same tired ugly one with a gigantic notch. So it will either probably be the One Plus 6T or the upcoming Razor 2.

I'm going to disagree here. $1,000 is a lot of money. People shouldn't forget that just because they're comfortable spending it on something specific that they want.

I was reading something about well-to-do people's spending habits that stuck with me. People who become rich and stay that way generally don't overspend on stuff. When you look at the spending as a percentage of their earnings, they're quite frugal.

A guy that makes $500k a year and buys a $80k car is allocating 16% of a year's income on a car. So a guy making $100k would be buying a $16k car to match the wealthier guy's spending habits...but I'd gamble that most people making $100k are buying cars north of $25k.

It's the sort of thing that always sticks out to me, how easily people diminish money. $1000 is a lot of money. People have to work hard to get that amount of money. Even if you're getting paid $100/hr it's still 10 hours of your life. That's a lot of time and so it should be seen as a lot of money.

I'll admit I somewhat misspoke because I was caught up arguing with that other poster.

What I really meant, is yea $1000 is not insignificant. If I found $1000 on the street I'd be fucking excited. It would make my week. Just to me 1k on a phone is an acceptable amount and here's why:

I use my phone literally every single day. My phone entertains me during my downtime at work or wherever else. My phone is my GPS. The big screen helps me easily see where to go without being to distracted. My phone can handle higher quality games to pass the time on plane rides. My phone can handle multiple processes running which is mandatory for me, because I always need to have certain things running the background. My phone is also my camera that I use to capture moments so I can look back at them in the future. One of the reasons I spent extra on this phone is the quality of the camera. I dont want to look at some shitty pictures of moments that were important to me and think damn, why didn't I cough up a few hundred bucks for a phone with a better camera.

Etc etc. 1k is not a trivial amount of money, but I dont regret spending it on something I wont replace for roughly 5 years and will get literally thousands of hours of use and utility out of.

I can’t deny that this is the truth, but then hey we only live once and we can’t take that money with us so might as well enjoy as much as you can while you can (responsibly of course)

Have no fear! You will be able to buy the iPhone XR for $750. I mean, you get a *NEW* iPhone, a 2018 iPhone for under $1k AND you can choose a cool color! Who cares that it has the same resolution as an iPhone 4 from 4-5 years ago and cannot support 1080p on YouTube, you have a shiny new iPhone!

I am waiting for people's jaws to drop when Samsung shows off their folding screen smart phones later this year, with a price tag of $1500-2k.....

Last edited:
I'll admit I somewhat misspoke because I was caught up arguing with that other poster.

What I really meant, is yea $1000 is not insignificant. If I found $1000 on the street I'd be fucking excited. It would make my week. Just to me 1k on a phone is an acceptable amount and here's why:

I use my phone literally every single day. My phone entertains me during my downtime at work or wherever else. My phone is my GPS. The big screen helps me easily see where to go without being to distracted. My phone can handle higher quality games to pass the time on plane rides. My phone can handle multiple processes running which is mandatory for me, because I always need to have certain things running the background. My phone is also my camera that I use to capture moments so I can look back at them in the future. One of the reasons I spent extra on this phone is the quality of the camera. I dont want to look at some shitty pictures of moments that were important to me and think damn, why didn't I cough up a few hundred bucks for a phone with a better camera.

Etc etc. 1k is not a trivial amount of money, but I dont regret spending it on something I wont replace for roughly 5 years and will get literally thousands of hours of use and utility out of.
this is my take on it. My phone is my most used electronic. While 1k isn't a trivial amount of money I don't really mind spending it on a device I use for damn near everything

Depends. Numbered PPVs maybe, but smaller events like Fight Nights seem pretty reasonable. The middle-tier seats for the upcoming event in Moncton NB are only $105 and the next tier is $133, so not bad imo.

As a long time fan to me they are all way overpriced. I mean shit.... I saw Tito, Hughes, GSP, Franklin, Tanner and Lawler on the same card for $35. So when the sport got popular a year later and the prices went through the roof paying $100 for Fight Nights isn't up my alley. Everything is relevant. Some people think $1000 iPhone is overpriced. I think paying $100 to see Volkan headline a card is overpriced.

I don't think buying a new phone is a waste if you plan on keeping it for several years. I still have an iPhone 5s that I bought new 5 years ago. When they were cheaper, upgrading annually made sense too because the scale of innovation was more rapid.

Nowadays, the innovations are less significant and the price has gone up. So, buying a new one and keeping it for 4+ years, like you would with most electronics makes sense to me.

I don't think they're too expensive either (expensive, yes, too expensive, no). The top end Samsung phones are right around that same price point. But if you don't need the latest stuff when shopping for a phone, yeah, it can make sense to just buy used.

This.

I buy a phone every 5-7 years and it's gotta be Apple IMO. My previous phone (an iPhone) practically stopped working and I was without a phone for two weeks till I bought a new one. I had it for 7 years. Apple phones are great for my purpose. I buy for quality and durability. Meanwhile my buddies who buy non-apple phones change theirs every 1-2 years or their shit breaks 2-3 years. Not saying apple users don't change phones often too. but I don't do it.

Current phone is an iPhone6. So I've had this phone for about 4 years now. I can squeeze another 2-3 years before I buy my next phone. It helps that they had that battery fiasco so I was able to replace my battery for super cheap. Might even last me another 4 years.

So yeah. I am okay with buying $1,000+ item that I use daily for 6-7 years... That's how good these iphones are.

Last edited:

Good luck getting 5 years out of a device that apple has said only has a 2 year lifespan. They also releases updates to slow down their phones to sell more. Not saying your not right in your purchase, just saying apple is shit for coming up with the term "planned obsolescence"

Good luck getting 5 years out of a device that apple has said only has a 2 year lifespan. They also releases updates to slow down their phones to sell more. Not saying your not right in your purchase, just saying apple is shit for coming up with the term "planned obsolescence"

As stated in my previous post I've had my previous iPhone for close to 7 years and my current iPhone 6 is going on 4 years. So yeah.. they're durable and I haven't had much issues with updates. then again I am not on my phone 24/7 watching movies and playing games all day long.

I'd gladly pay whatever, if their products weren't shit now...and this is coming from a life long Apple user. They're riding their own coattails into mundane land.

Back