Irresponsible co-workers

SSgt Dickweed

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
This fucking job I am smack middle of right now as I am typing this, I pretty much hate and I need to vent.

The lady right next to me has a really pungent perfume that makes me want to vomit. Despite being in the middle of the workday I am hearing alt rock music being blasted by some fucker 5 cubicles away. I find that even all of my department workmates are older than me, they are irresponsible and they would always make me do shit for them a lot of times not related to the job.

Everything that I am supposed to do, I need to revise, and I need to wait on someone cause s/he is in a meeting or absent. I do all my shit with a good allowance the deadline, but have to wait on the final draft which always seem to be just on the edge of the deadline.

I feel that the HR was not completely honest about this job when they hired me. The environment is shitty compared to my previous jobs. I have to deal with people with entitlement issues and who need to be given attention like they're middle children. What's worse is that I am scheduled for training next year which puts me in service obligation proportional to the cost of training 1+ year. I have tried to look for work despite being new to this job, because I don't like it at all.

I am obligated to do overtime mostly because another person has a job passed to me and s/he was absent that day. And after regular hours there is no AC. The commute is a pain in the ass.

Cliffs:
- The workplace I am in is more like a marketplace than a white-collar gig.

What type of work is it? I totally understand the needy thing. I work maintenance for a large resort. I get 90% of my calls from 5% of the employees. Some people just need to whine for attention.

You are Staff Sergeant Dickweed.

Start acting like it.

Start throwing motherfuckers under the bus with extreme prejudice. Boss' love that shit.

Plus, if you actually give a shit if your company makes money, you'll never feel guilty and your superiors will notice that dedication.

eat as much of your coworkers food left in the fridge/kitchen as you can and then proceed to throw the rest of the food into the bin.

food in the workplace is always a very touchy topic. so fuck with them like that.

64277008.jpg

Just quit a job last week for basically the same problem. The staff there were all so co-dependent and miserable and after the first few days they tried to drag me into their hell. I just told the boss 'this isn't for me' and left one day.

Corporate culture. Is normal. Frankly, working for 3 years in my current job makes me understand the phrase "shotgun monday". This place is a caricature of all things possible in a corporate setting: Lying, blaming others, sheeeeeeeeer incompetence, brown nosing, more lying. I'm loving it. It came to a point that I find it entertaining, especially when they know that you know their wrongdoings. I will not switch to the dark side. I'm making documents out of all this to use as ammo when the inevitable throw everyone under the bus happens. When they deny, I'll show the docs, then I wanna see them do mental gymnastics to wriggle themselves out of it. Silverlining I guess.

Might be off topic but I got a call from someone selling supplemental insurance for people on Medicare. I asked if their policies only covered certain medical providers. She said she had a list. I asked her if the Mayo Clinic was on the list. She had no clue what the Mayo Clinic was. Am I wrong in thinking most Americans have heard of the Mayo Clinic? I thought it was pretty much known world wide as many foreign leaders come for treatment.

Corporate culture. Is normal. Frankly, working for 3 years in my current job makes me understand the phrase "shotgun monday". This place is a caricature of all things possible in a corporate setting: Lying, blaming others, sheeeeeeeeer incompetence, brown nosing, more lying. I'm loving it. It came to a point that I find it entertaining, especially when they know that you know their wrongdoings. I will not switch to the dark side. I'm making documents out of all this to use as ammo when the inevitable throw everyone under the bus happens. When they deny, I'll show the docs, then I wanna see them do mental gymnastics to wriggle themselves out of it. Silverlining I guess.

The corporate structure is basically a cover your ass situation to insulate higher ups from any responsibility.

abandon cubicle life entirely. I've never heard of anyone that enjoys it.

You need to speak up for yourself, OP, and of course, find another job. At least in the meantime you can try to address issues that are bothering you, like the music being played, people dumping work on you, etc. You don't have to yell, just ask people not to do that, face to face. Be polite, but be serious. If all else fails, you know the drill....fill office with as many uppercuts as possible.

Another shitty day at work. A document that I thought was resolved was thrown back at my collaborators and I with a whopping 1 day before the deadline, and on that same day, I had to learn how to enter specific data on a SAP module because that was also the deadline. The person I asked so I could get a heads up failed to let me know that that particular task was on that day. And the other person who was supposed to teach me the actual task, didn't really teach me the proper steps (of course!), so I had to redo a lot of the shit.

And right when I was about to leave work, 4:45pm, I was notified on a payroll issue that needed to be addressed otherwise, there will be a delay on a certain payment. I tried to resolve it on time, but when I was finished the person(s) I needed to address already left work, wtf.

The fucking photocopier acted up again as usual. And did I mention, the building itself is an exterminator's nightmare? Mice and roaches all over.

How fucking shitty is this job I am in?

Shitty.

Do you write up new policies, do quotes, or tend to existing customers?

Sounds like you work for a large company. You might be better off working for a smaller company with one office and a smaller more intimate staff.

Basically, you have an office job. It sounds like every office job ever. Your complaints are so thematically common that they have made movies (Office Space) and TV shows (The Office) about the absurdity of office work.

But if you think your place sucks and that another office will be better....honestly at the new place it will be the same. Heck, my last job was an office job. It has similar characters;

-Lady next to me would never stop talking ever. If I ignored her she would talk straight to her computer screen.

-Lady three cubicles down was always blasting and singing Mexican music.

-Boss always kicking back work for trivial reasons.

-Worked 50-60 hours a week. Was Salary so there was no overtime.

My friend finally snapped and went to a new office job, he said it was exactly the same, maybe even worse.

You either have to embrace office work or get a new type of job.

Back