Irresponsible co-workers

There's a subtle contempt around trade jobs. "Oh if you wanna go do work a monkey could do" seems to be the attitude. But a lot of people with degrees are doing shit they absolutely hate, and probably would have been better off in a trade.

That subtle contempt comes from folks who don't know any better. I'm 23 years and 4 months into working for uncle sam . . . and the people I work for often make things way more harder than they should. Morale sucks and I'm ready to walk.

I'm with @irish_thug I would go into a trade if I had it to do all over again . . .

With the gas canisters? Big orange ones? Pull back the safety, take aim and shoot? I used to be deadly accurate with those.

Fucking too right
We have a couple of the framing ones that fire four inch nails

I've been known to take part in what we like to call.. first fix battle ships

Someone has a pair of step ladders on the ground floor and the gun, fire a nail through the chipboard floor trying to nail the other person through the foot
After each missed shot you can change room

There's no real winners.. even the winners a loser

Fucking too right
We have a couple of the framing ones that fire four inch nails

I've been known to take part in what we like to call.. first fix battle ships

Someone has a pair of step ladders on the ground floor and the gun, fire a nail through the chipboard floor trying to nail the other person through the foot
After each missed shot you can change room

There's no real winners.. even the winners a loser

I used to use those same guns over 20 years ago.
Be careful when toeing in joists and such, I hit a knot one time and the nail wormed into my finger- FYI- it hurts.

I remember my friend also drove one up through the plywood floor and into the heel of another co-worker. Old man Bob couldn't lift his boot off the ground, it was hilarious.

I used to use those same guns over 20 years ago.
Be careful when toeing in joists and such, I hit a knot one time and the nail wormed into my finger- FYI- it hurts.

I remember my friend also drove one up through the plywood floor and into the heel of another co-worker. Old man Bob couldn't lift his boot off the ground, it was hilarious.

Haha oh we've had some situations over the years with knots..
All part of the game

Turns out most people don't dream of being office drones when they grow up. A lot of people, across all fields, are incapable of being productive while doing work they dislike. Unless there are harsh quotas or the boss hovers over them.

Which makes more places adopt harsh quotas or hovering management.

Yeah, I understand people not wanting to come into an office and sit in front of a computer for 8 or 9 hours a day. I really do. But people need to have some fucking self respect. It’s not about that. It’s about having a work ethic. And it’s about not fucking over the people next to you, who are in the same fucking boat, by letting your shit get pushed onto them because you’re too lazy, or think you’re too good or smart to be doing that job. I’m probably working a job right now that I am too overqualified to do. But I also love this job and the people with whom I work. So I would never want to leave my shit undone and fuck then over that way.

Offices need to have mandatory boxing matches where people like me can fight people who do that. It’s the only solution. Because I guarantee, when those assholes gas out after 45 seconds, and I’m beating in their faces, they will have a new found appreciation for the job they do have.

Everything via email especially any late notice requests.

Someone giving you work at 5 to 5 isn't worth bitching about.
A collection of emails showing a person consistently giving you emails at 5 to 5 is worth communicating..

In other news I got told off this week for not sending reports for the last 15 months.

Took about an hour, but just found the email telling me to stop sending them. Ohhhh baby yeah.

Sometimes keeping 35,000 emails is annoying, sometimes it's awesome.

Let's see...where do I begin.

Salespeople who are fueled by their crack, meth or heroin addictions who are allowed to not come in because when they're actually there they make sales. Then they blow their sales deadlines because they're short on money and behind on rent and I have to make concessions to them because well, they're sales.

A president who inherited the business from Daddy and claims she cares about the company but comes in at 9:30 and leaves for two hours to go to the gym, hires high school interns and dumps them on me (but takes credit for giving them jobs while never meeting them) and when I complain because I'm already understaffed and barely making deadlines but still have to train her interns, she says "but it's free work!". Then she complains that the interns don't do the same level of work as me. I'm damn near 40 and they're high school juniors. No shit Sherlock.

An HR director who has to constantly micromanage everyone else and often times messes with protocol that has always worked and by doing so, ends up making it more difficult than it ever was, but at the same time runs all over the place claiming she doesn't have enough time to do her job. At the same time she comes in at 9:30, takes an hour and a half lunch often and leaves at 3:30. Oh, and if I make a deadline by two hours? "Well how come you have extra time?" Let's move the deadline up next month. So if someone gets sick or leaves, we're fucked.

Not to mention this HR director used to have one of the sales guys in her office laughing and joking with him, and he stalked her. So as a result we have to keep all doors locked.

Then when a computer or server goes down they ask me to look at it so they don't have to pay their shitty IT 90 bucks an hour because it's expensive. Keep in mind I'm a designer, I just happen to know how computers work too. So if I bork the whole network well that's not on me.

Top it off with having to work next door to a bunch of meathead CrossFit people where I have to hear linkin park blasting and feel the floor shake whenever they drop weights and I've had enough.

There are a handful of people I work with and love like family who could run the company by themselves. The president and HR could be gone and we'd function better than ever.

Thank God I have an interview Thursday.
Sseems
Yeah, I understand people not wanting to come into an office and sit in front of a computer for 8 or 9 hours a day. I really do. But people need to have some fucking self respect. It’s not about that. It’s about having a work ethic. And it’s about not fucking over the people next to you, who are in the same fucking boat, by letting your shit get pushed onto them because you’re too lazy, or think you’re too good or smart to be doing that job. I’m probably working a job right now that I am too overqualified to do. But I also love this job and the people with whom I work. So I would never want to leave my shit undone and fuck then over that way.

Offices need to have mandatory boxing matches where people like me can fight people who do that. It’s the only solution. Because I guarantee, when those assholes gas out after 45 seconds, and I’m beating in their faces, they will have a new found appreciation for the job they do have.
Oh I agree. Ive had plenty of jobs I hated but I can't bring myself to just be lazy and do a shit job. If my name is attached to something, I have to do the best I can.

Ive just seen over and over that isn't how many people feel about it. If they don't like the pay, don't feel fulfilled, don't like their co-workers or boss or the customers, people use any excuse to put in a sub par effort.

That subtle contempt comes from folks who don't know any better. I'm 23 years and 4 months into working for uncle sam . . . and the people I work for often make things way more harder than they should. Morale sucks and I'm ready to walk.

I'm with @irish_thug I would go into a trade if I had it to do all over again . . .
Yeah it's honest work, and it's not easy work. But there's this idea that education is this set, worldly thing. Well learning to do anything is education. Some people can build things, some can draw, some can organize, or teach. All useful skills.

But like most things, basic tribalism leads people to subconsciously think only their path is the right one. And people double down on that when the path ends up being something you don't like. Otherwise maybe you made a mistake.

Sseems

Oh I agree. Ive had plenty of jobs I hated but I can't bring myself to just be lazy and do a shit job. If my name is attached to something, I have to do the best I can.

Ive just seen over and over that isn't how many people feel about it. If they don't like the pay, don't feel fulfilled, don't like their co-workers or boss or the customers, people use any excuse to put in a sub par effort.

There are days when those types of folks make life so much more difficult for the rest of us . . . I hate to admit it, but it often totally drains my drive to keep pushing crap up hill in order to do the right thing and get things done.

There are days when those types of folks make life so much more difficult for the rest of us . . . I hate to admit it, but it often totally drains my drive to keep pushing crap up hill in order to do the right thing and get things done.
I remember I was dating this girl awhile ago, she was bouncing around low level jobs trying to move up and getting burned out that nobody did anything unless they had to. Nobody gave a shit. I told her yeah, it's because they make shit money. She was younger than me and a bit idealistic still, and she said yeah but they should have a good work ethic anyway or they'll never go anywhere.

Most people seem to need little prodding to just give up. I think part of it is a byproduct of their being so many shitty and unfulfillIing jobs. If you look at life before the industrial revolution, everything you did was important. You fucked up, you might starve. Now millions of people work at jobs that really aren't that important, and they know it. Their entire facility could be wiped off the earth, and not much would change.

I think that causes a feeling of existential futility that people don't really know how to cope with. There are just way too many people for everyone to feel needed and meaningful, compared to just a generation or two ago.

I remember I was dating this girl awhile ago, she was bouncing around low level jobs trying to move up and getting burned out that nobody did anything unless they had to. Nobody gave a shit. I told her yeah, it's because they make shit money. She was younger than me and a bit idealistic still, and she said yeah but they should have a good work ethic anyway or they'll never go anywhere.

Most people seem to need little prodding to just give up. I think part of it is a byproduct of their being so many shitty and unfulfillIing jobs. If you look at life before the industrial revolution, everything you did was important. You fucked up, you might starve. Now millions of people work at jobs that really aren't that important, and they know it. Their entire facility could be wiped off the earth, and not much would change.

I think that causes a feeling of existential futility that people don't really know how to cope with. There are just way too many people for everyone to feel needed and meaningful, compared to just a generation or two ago.

Salary isn't an issue for these folks . . . it's often a humongous lack of accountability . . . they've gotten away with being horrible managers for so long it's become a habit.

They ask for guidance on an IT security issue and then proceed to ignore it. Drives me nuts.

Sseems

I can certainly understand people feeling that way. But it’s like you said, they just want an excuse. Even if they loved their jobs, they would put in a sub par effort. Hell, most people may even be like me in that even if I am doing something I really like, maybe playing guitar, once it becomes a job I don’t like doing it anymore.

I can certainly understand people feeling that way. But it’s like you said, they just want an excuse. Even if they loved their jobs, they would put in a sub par effort. Hell, most people may even be like me in that even if I am doing something I really like, maybe playing guitar, once it becomes a job I don’t like doing it anymore.
Well I think some people are shit no matter what. Some people can only do well at things that interest them, but were never able to leverage one of their passions into something that pays the bills.

And some people are grinders, that throw themselves at everything they do. Like I play games in my spare time, and nearly everything I play has to be hard as fuck or complicated as fuck. I need challenge or I get super bored.

like an arrow to the knee bad? Get a scooter and weight 700 lbs asap.
My legs have been trashed from MT kicking legs and elbows. Plus my ankles are jacked from leglocks. Don't let ouchies limit what you do, unless it's unbearable.
There's a thing called have some common sense and take the elevator to go upstairs if you have knee ouchies

There is this douche who is part of my immediate team who loves being the center of attention. Every time there is a group meeting and the manager is done talking, he is the first to raise an "issue", and after everyone is done talking and the manager us about to end the meeting, this jerkoff raises another issue just to keep the discussion going regardless of how worthless that issue is.

He would also make jokes purposely to prolong the meeting, this way he could spout whatever bullshit just so the rest of us can look at him and hear him talk. This happens everytime in a group discussion. Lunch meetings outside the office are worse. He raises his voice and laughs maniacally, and it doesn't make sense except if you count that the end result is everyone has to look at him while he speaks.

He is in a fairy well known band in the local scene, and plays coy, but really wants everyone to know how awesome he is as a musician.

How can I not deal with this douchiness? I got offered a job last week in a different company but had to turn it down because the job loc was different than the ad.

There is this douche who is part of my immediate team who loves being the center of attention. Every time there is a group meeting and the manager is done talking, he is the first to raise an "issue", and after everyone is done talking and the manager us about to end the meeting, this jerkoff raises another issue just to keep the discussion going regardless of how worthless that issue is.

He would also make jokes purposely to prolong the meeting, this way he could spout whatever bullshit just so the rest of us can look at him and hear him talk. This happens everytime in a group discussion. Lunch meetings outside the office are worse. He raises his voice and laughs maniacally, and it doesn't make sense except if you count that the end result is everyone has to look at him while he speaks.

He is in a fairy well known band in the local scene, and plays coy, but really wants everyone to know how awesome he is as a musician.

How can I not deal with this douchiness? I got offered a job last week in a different company but had to turn it down because the job loc was different than the ad.

You're still in this shitty job 2 years later? Yeesh. Sorry to hear that, and yes, that guy sounds like an asshole.

Stick at it, get to upper management and fire people you don’t like.

Also never have I worked in an office where someone is playing music, that is very unprofessional.

On the other hand, horrid perfume? Yep, loads of people wear stinky stuff that’s why I encourage my team to have a potted plant/flowers on their desk. Helps take away from what garbage they chose to splash on that day.

You seem jealous tbh

You seem jealous tbh

WTF? That's really what you got from my post? Or do you just reply to my threads to troll?

I have a low tolerance for blowhards. Whenever I was in class and the professor highlights his or her achievements I immediately get pissed and I feel almost physically ill, like I have to vomit. I have no problem giving people props for their achievements and talent. But there's a huge difference with accomplished people and people who grow their heads and love the sound of their own voice.

Jealousy is nowhere near what I feel about this guy. For the people I am annoyed with in this office, I want to not ever see again.

Last edited:
WTF? That's really what you got from my post? Or do you just reply to my threads to troll?

I have a low tolerance for blowhards. Whenever I was in class and the professor highlights his or her achievements I immediately get pissed and I feel almost physically ill, like I have to vomit. I have no problem giving people props for their achievements and talent. But there's a huge difference with accomplished people and people who grow their heads and love the sound of their own voice.

Jealousy is nowhere near what I feel about this guy. For the people I am annoyed with in this office, I want to not ever see again.
Ah, ok just that one post seemed like it to me.

So you’re not jealous, then there’s really not much you can do, incompetent workers rarely change

Back