Is 30 too old for a Ammy boxing match

EliteUltra500

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I’m 29 coming up on 30.

Im not starting new, but most of my experience is with grappling (6 years) And just 2 of boxing/kickboxing.

I just feel so old. Most of the people who I associate with who fight are in there early-mid 20s and even late teens
Is 30 starting to push it?

I’m not as fast as some of these young kids. Maybe I just double leg them during the boxing match?? Lol.

After 35, you fight in the Masters division (16oz gloves, sometimes 90 second rounds), but I heard they supposed to be raising it to 40 years of age

nope.

I remember back in 2014 or 2015, there was a guy making his debut MT fight at 67

Its old if you're looking for it as a career change

After 35, you fight in the Masters division (16oz gloves, sometimes 90 second rounds), but I heard they supposed to be raising it to 40 years of age
I've never heard of heavier gloves in the masters division. Is that in boxing?

Last edited:
Theres a video of 2 guys on youtube in golden gloves who i think are in their 40s it says in the commentary. They look like in shape 25 year olds, pretty impressive.

30 is nowhere near too old lmao. It's amateur just give it a go. I feel old at 27 fighting amateurs....

wait seriously? at 35 that'd be humiliating. 16 oz gloves? i'd insist at fighting in the most competitive division. is it mandatory?

Elite is now 19-40 in the U.S., so Masters would be over 40. And yes, those stipulations are mandatory.

That said, this guy was 31 when this fight took place:

30 years old:

32 years old (blue gear):

29 years old (also blue gear):

With good instruction and diligent conditioning, you're only as old as you feel.

I’m 29 coming up on 30.

Im not starting new, but most of my experience is with grappling (6 years) And just 2 of boxing/kickboxing.

I just feel so old. Most of the people who I associate with who fight are in there early-mid 20s and even late teens

I’m not as fast as some of these young kids. Maybe I just double leg them during the boxing match?? Lol.

absolutely not!

im 35 and still fighting.

If you want to do it, do it. I'm older than dirt and still going for the time being. Recognize you won't have a career and you'll be at a disadvantage in some areas (ie - reaction time is usually slower, cardio isn't built in, recovery is longer, etc) but also advantages in others (usually with age comes a bit of wisdom or at least temperament that can be used against younger fighters, you'll focus more on technique than rely solely on athleticism, etc). If you're just getting beaten on then yes, either alter your view of proper opponents or consider calling it quits with regard to full contact. If you can remain competitive with whatever class of fighter you are aiming to fight and enjoy it then have at it.

If you can hard spar the young guys around your experience, I don’t see why a fight would be different. Athleticism and cardio might be the factors you would want to realistically gauge yourself against them

As long as youre not gonna feel like an asshole, do it. If you feel like youre at the disadvantage, use that for fuel, go do it man.

I’m 29 coming up on 30.

you already know you're not pushing it, on first read, you seem afraid to lose, and are already using something {your age} as a ready made excuse to yourself and others, go for it dude, you'll hit 40 or approach 50 and wish you had did shit when you where younger, younger like 29 going on 30.

Elite is now 19-40 in the U.S., so Masters would be over 40. And yes, those stipulations are mandatory.

That said, this guy was 31 when this fight took place:

30 years old:

32 years old (blue gear):

29 years old (also blue gear):

With good instruction and diligent conditioning, you're only as old as you feel.

^this.

I just competed in the State Championships at 37 (2 months shy of 38). Lost to the eventual bronze medallist but got mega robbed in the decision. The guy who won gold in the division above got his snout and ego broken, by yours truly, in the training sessions before. The guy who got silver is a gym friend of mine who I regularly train with and we never have no problems.
So yeah, didn't win but I sure as hell showed myself I still belonged right up there in the mix. And this was me competing after 5 years. And only started training again in the last 10 months (like a motherfker though).

So lol at 30 being too old !
Is it the same as before my layoff or my late 20s ? Hell no. But you make it up with things you CAN control like conditioning, ring intelligence and experience, training smarter etc etc
A bit of luck with the draw and what do you know..........good things can happen.

Btw, not too long ago, one of my gym acquaintances won a silver at the nationals at 38.

Defiantly not too old, I know a lot of guys who only started martial arts in their late 20s early 30s and some of them went on to fight and be very competitive. Plus you got that man strength now (not sure if theres a scientific basis for this but ive always felt the 30+ guys had this different kinda of strength)

No. A lot of gyms in my area have been marketing corporate boxing events for years. Get people in for a boot camp culminating with a 3 x 2 min match at some hotel, get participants to sell tickets and you're on to a winner. Yeah it's probably slightly different but the same type of rules apply. At the end of the day, it's all about the match up. If you're being sent out to fight someone way over your head, then yes you're going to be too old for it.

Honestly if you feel too old already at 29 then an ammy fight isn't going to solve it.

Some people get old at 25. Maybe you are like that TS.

Back