Is 40 too old to start training and competing in MMA?

Sherwolf

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Serious question guys. I've been pretty active in sports since I was very young and I currently get to the gym doing basic weight training a few times a week. My cardio isn't that great mainly cause I don't like running on the hamster-mill, but I'm sure I can built it up with some hard work.

I'm about 5-11 and 180lbs of fast twitch fiber muscle. I think I have good bio-mechanics in general and I can throw fundamental punches and kicks.

If I really wanted to CM Punk it and go for it (and I am way more athletic then that fool), is it realistic that I can compete as an amateur or pro at some point? What's a realistic time to train and get into the cage? I don't have any belt rating or prior martial arts experience. My only advantages are my athleticism and strength. Since I'm 180lb with no diet, I would probably fight at 170lb.

I'm wondering if anyone has gone on this journey post 40 and if you can share your experience?

Training? No.
Competing in a high level organization like the ufc? Zero chance.

In MMA? I think you are too old, but you can make it to K1 kickboxing. The level is not very high

Sadly, you can't teach an old dog new tricks... no offence.

Yeah, it's too old for all that shit, but it's not too old to start writing a fictional novel about a 40yr. old who starts training UFC and becomes champ.

If you're asking here you're already doomed

But,like, are you all buff and stuff?

40 is too old to continue living.

I should have died a few years ago.

Your only hope is if promotions put in age divisions. I mean, besides all of Bellator's HW division.

you wont get used to getting punch and will fold like a chair

Not too late to start training. To become professional would be pretty out there.

Sit down old fruit, this young man's game

Serious question guys. I've been pretty active in sports since I was very young and I currently get to the gym doing basic weight training a few times a week. My cardio isn't that great mainly cause I don't like running on the hamster-mill, but I'm sure I can built it up with some hard work.

I'm about 5-11 and 180lbs of fast twitch fiber muscle. I think I have good bio-mechanics in general and I can throw fundamental punches and kicks.

If I really wanted to CM Punk it and go for it (and I am way more athletic then that fool), is it realistic that I can compete as an amateur or pro at some point? What's a realistic time to train and get into the cage? I don't have any belt rating or prior martial arts experience. My only advantages are my athleticism and strength. Since I'm 180lb with no diet, I would probably fight at 170lb.

I'm wondering if anyone has gone on this journey post 40 and if you can share your experience?

If you were doing some combative sport since you were less then 16 years old and were very very good at it you might be able to win one or two in the ultra minor armature events.

Most of the MMA talent were good at something that had transferable skills long before doing anything involving MMA. Those people still have learning to do for one breaking habits that would work in their sport but opens you up in MMA.

Normally, I'd say no. But you're a fucking Sherwolf man. You're a true bad-ass!

Back