Is 40 too old to start training and competing in MMA?

Do karate and judo 4 times a week. Struggle with non collaborative opponents and have fun.

Fuck it man just do it and have fun. Have no illusions about how far you;ll get - unless you are a natural killer - you'll prob just have some smoker / amateur mma matches. Enough to have fun and have a taste.

You are a pussy then know alot of older dudes 40+ that train and compete in MMA alot of them jumping feet first into it without any prior training.

I don’t know many brown belt “pussies”. Internet tough guys? You’re a dime a dozen. Jumping in a cage fight over the age of 40 without any prior training? Some bright people you’re surrounded with. Enjoy that.

I don’t know many brown belt “pussies”. Internet tough guys? You’re a dime a dozen. Jumping in a cage fight over the age of 40 without any prior training? Some bright people you’re surrounded with. Enjoy that.

Rofl doubt he has a brown belt. Rofl everyone starts somewhere age is just a number when it comes to training and even fighting its all about the mental game. Of course he can’t compete at a high level but there are comps to cater for amatuers.

CM punk had no place in the UFC but he would have been fine fighting in the regional scene.

Its never too late, its all about results.

You can certainly bring training. Competing at an amateur level is a good goal. Depending on how hard you commit and how quickly you learn it’ll probably take a couple of years.

You could start training at 50 if you wanted to and could have solid results, just don't expect to really go anywhere competitively.

Serious question guys. I've been pretty active in sports since I was very young and I currently get to the gym doing basic weight training a few times a week. My cardio isn't that great mainly cause I don't like running on the hamster-mill, but I'm sure I can built it up with some hard work.

I'm about 5-11 and 180lbs of fast twitch fiber muscle. I think I have good bio-mechanics in general and I can throw fundamental punches and kicks.

If I really wanted to CM Punk it and go for it (and I am way more athletic then that fool), is it realistic that I can compete as an amateur or pro at some point? What's a realistic time to train and get into the cage? I don't have any belt rating or prior martial arts experience. My only advantages are my athleticism and strength. Since I'm 180lb with no diet, I would probably fight at 170lb.

I'm wondering if anyone has gone on this journey post 40 and if you can share your experience?

180 lb but you could possibly cut down to 155 with a good weight cut.

I just want to tell you that it's going to take a couple years before you get good enough to hang in there with most, simply because most have trained ther entire lives.
It's not too late but it's certainly late. I don't know you and don't know how talented/capable/hardworking you are, but at 40 years old it's gonna be pretty difficult to achieve something meaningful. But by all means start training, if you work hard enough five years from now you could make it to pro level.

My opinion is just go and train, if you want to fight then fight, but if MMA doesn't work out you could always get into jiu jitsu. If you're consistent and work hard enough, you could be a black belt before you hit 50.

What I would do is take muay thai and bjj.
Do this for several years, just training muay thai and competing in BJJ. When you start to feel ready and when you feel like you're getting the better of your training partners in muay thai and tapping a decent number of people in jits then go for it.

Serious question guys. I've been pretty active in sports since I was very young and I currently get to the gym doing basic weight training a few times a week. My cardio isn't that great mainly cause I don't like running on the hamster-mill, but I'm sure I can built it up with some hard work.

I'm about 5-11 and 180lbs of fast twitch fiber muscle. I think I have good bio-mechanics in general and I can throw fundamental punches and kicks.

If I really wanted to CM Punk it and go for it (and I am way more athletic then that fool), is it realistic that I can compete as an amateur or pro at some point? What's a realistic time to train and get into the cage? I don't have any belt rating or prior martial arts experience. My only advantages are my athleticism and strength. Since I'm 180lb with no diet, I would probably fight at 170lb.

I'm wondering if anyone has gone on this journey post 40 and if you can share your experience?

just for the love of god film it and post it here

40 is not the end of the world .Just get the training and try it there may be some level you can compete at. Sparring will help you make up your mind what u can do and want to do . Im 61 just started taking mauy Thai / mma classes . Usually get my arse handed to me in sparring I occasionally get one in. I was never in any sports and not athletic

Get out there and try it. You will find out soon enough what u can and cannot do. I hate getting punched in the face but the body kicks are deadly. Don’t quit your day job just yet

depend son the weight division i think at 205and above yes but you are 180 walking around without dieting so that means ud be a 155er more than likely so id not try to go pro nowadays 6 years ago sure but today everyone has skills no bum pros anymore really every single pro at least has a blue belt today minimum

Not too late to start training. To become professional would be pretty out there.
mid -tier would be out there too .. 12 years ago i would say mid tier would be possible these days mid tier is almost impossible
the sport is growing faster than a male grizlly bear's growth plate in a year
its late at night and i am tired and i dont want to be disrespectful to you just follow your heart .. God has a plan for all of us

too old to compete at the high level for MMA, but not too old to do it recreationally. IF you were to start training today you'd probably be looking at at least two to three years before a responsible and competent coach would line you up a fight if you were a younger person that trained a minimum of four times a week. You could become fairly competent in BJJ/submission grappling in a couple years, you are way too old to become a competent boxer (generally to even be in the game you'd have had to start in your early teens, or be some kind of freak prodigy) and to have a Judo game good enough to compete you'd be looking at about 5 to 10 years. So you could start your training and all but without any prior experience you're looking at being on the edge of 50 before you put in enough time.
I've been to some low level fights where there is a 40+ guy fighting his first fight, I've yet to see one where if the guy didn't get a lucky first round win he lasts three rounds. These weren't some fat old looking guys either, these guys looked like they were in great shape, even better than their opponents but age takes it toll.

I can also say being a little older than you TS, injuries are going to be your biggest problem, that and the fact that no kid wants to get beat by "the old man of the gym". You will be the novelty and the "cool old guy that trains" but make no mistake, everyone of those young bastards will be gunning for you when they train with you. I'd constantly have some kid in his late teens and early 20's take it as a personal affront if I tapped them out and would go balls to the walls against me to the point that even if I won all the grappling matches I still felt like shit the next day a body ache I can only describe as someone beating you with a pillowcase full of door knobs.

But hey, it's your time and your body, do what feels right to you.

if you have good diet and you are strong at the gym why not be a personal trainer instead ?or be a personal trainer for guys who do MMA . Mac Laimon never competed in MMA and he counsels mma fighters .. "why buy the cow if you can get the milk for free"

once you get a broken bone from mma , BJJ , or judo .. your life is literally OVER .. you are done .YOUR LIFE WILL NEVER BE THE SAME!..then you start getting cortizone injections ( to speed up the recovery so you can get back in and train )and your body starts turning into mush .. why not do grappling then train mma .. got a tablet ? watch mma figths at your job .. you have a 1) good diet 2) you are strong 3) you glorify worship mma fighters .. train them , help them them be a brother to them there are soo many trainers that fuck these figthers over .. why put your body on the front line of the battle field? is this over a girl? mma fighting wont help you the streets just to let you know, well it will ,but its overrated to use as a street fighting aspect.. unless you fight someone on the beach
look at my avatar Sakuraba i bet he wishes he couldve gone back int time and have been a trainer instead of a fighter .. pride fucked him over so bad .. they destroyed his body .. he will tell you " it was not worth it"

Last edited:
It is too old my friend, sorry. Your muscles might twitch fast, but your skeleton is aging and you will break stuff and take forever (if ever) to recover. Moreover, the skillset and i.
not " foverer " more like " NEVER"

If your athletic you have a better chance of beating amatuer mma fighter. But you should try to work on a lot of cardio, and what not. But it's going to be hard at 40, daniel cormier is champion at 40 but he has some prior experience. It's going to be really hard so if you want to try it, then go for it. But once you hit 50 that's when things will be superhard.

If you train consistently for a good 3 years with the aid of chemical assistance, you absolutely have a chance to be competitive at the entry-level amateur league. I remember an amateur fight promotion in my area whose 145 champ was a jacked 41 year-old dude that was pretty obviously on the sauce. He was a fantastic grappler and still had quick, explosive takedowns and would wear all of his opponents out on the ground. The guy had a good run for a few years. Mind you, I think this guy had wrestled his entire life.... Still, something to consider.

Back