Is 40 too old to start training and competing in MMA?

Would it be realistic to learn martial arts at age 40, and become a great professional coach in MMA / boxing / some sport?
Seems more realistic to me than starting a pro career at 40+, but perhaps you need fighting experience to become a coach ?
Otherwise, mental coach?

Hey man go for it if you think you can do good but you need to work extremely hard..But I I’ll be honest with you there is no way you can become a champion of any organization , but you can defiantly win a couple of fights especially in Amateur.

Its never to old to train or compete.

Going professional well that depends on how well you do. First thing is first, train. If the coaches feel like your ready, they'll let you know

Depends on what your goals are. Makes sense if you want to see what kind of a beating you can endure.

Kidding. Only one way to find out. Can't go by what other people can or can't do.

Quit your job, sell everything and live in a gym.

Leave this life with as few regrets as possible. There are things that we haven't heard to be done, because we are waiting for someone to do them. If you're 40, and the league/commission, and doctors allows you to compete then go for it. If not, it's never too late to train. A 40 year old who trains vs a 40 year old who doesn't train.....who would you rather be?

15yrs too late if not trolling

Too old to compete in muay thai and boxing even at amatuer level in my country. Only way to get in the ring is corporate boxing

How about just training in a traditional martial art and doing some belt level competitions? Judo, JJ, TKD, Karate... Take your pick. There are plenty of people training and competing at all ages. There are 40 something white belts at nearly every school. If it turns out that you're a phenom, great. If you're an average Joe, so be it. Just enjoy the training and competition at your level.

One of the more interesting mid life crisis to be fair, go for it TS.

Nothing wrong with training and doing AM fights against guys in your age bracket. Stay away from 170 or even 185, those youngsters are far too quick and hungry. 205 or HW makes more sense.

40 year old man asks if it’s a good idea for him to start getting punched in the head by 25 year olds on a regular basis.

This is why men die younger.

Nothing wrong with training and doing AM fights against guys in your age bracket. Stay away from 170 or even 185, those youngsters are far too quick and hungry. 205 or HW makes more sense.

He says he’s 5’11, 180 lbs. Probably not the best idea to go up against a 20-some year old who’s 6’2, cutting down to 205 from 225.

I love how Sherdoggers recommend to do the fake Mike Tyson routine on the net just to be in shape for some low level MMA match. Make you realize the brain really grows until your 30s.

Serious question guys. I've been pretty active in sports since I was very young and I currently get to the gym doing basic weight training a few times a week. My cardio isn't that great mainly cause I don't like running on the hamster-mill, but I'm sure I can built it up with some hard work.

I'm about 5-11 and 180lbs of fast twitch fiber muscle. I think I have good bio-mechanics in general and I can throw fundamental punches and kicks.

If I really wanted to CM Punk it and go for it (and I am way more athletic then that fool), is it realistic that I can compete as an amateur or pro at some point? What's a realistic time to train and get into the cage? I don't have any belt rating or prior martial arts experience. My only advantages are my athleticism and strength. Since I'm 180lb with no diet, I would probably fight at 170lb.

I'm wondering if anyone has gone on this journey post 40 and if you can share your experience?
Read about this guy http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Marat-Balaev-174923
He was 10 years in prison, then started competing only at 37. But before going to prison he was an olympic level freestyle wrestler.
I think everything is possible, the only question WHY DO YOU NEED THAT? If you know the answer than go ahead. I tried to come back to the game at 32, and I have failed. My body refused to follow my young soul))))

Back