Is Anderson Silva the most devastating clinch fighter ever?

jtwarwagon4life

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
His performances throughout his career, but particularly against Rich Franklin, strike me as a standard to which all other clinch fighters past and present should be measured.

I can't recall any fighter who has been able to inflict as much damage in as short an amount of time as Anderson. Only a prime Overeem, Wanderlei Silva and Shogun Rua come close. Compare the amount of time it takes guys like Wanderlei, Langsuan, Shogun, Lamnamoon, Yodwicha, Demetrious Johnson and Dieselnoi to fell their opponents compared to Anderson and it's no contest.

Or better still, imagine who you would rather be at these respective fights and I think you'll find my airtight and natural as a zip-locked bag:

96613ca5a3d9db8da375133d0a3c99e8.jpg

What is the spider doing here? Came here to tell braddock hardly clinches.

That's some nice trolling you're performing here, JT.

I don't get it is this sarcasm? I'm not sure...

I dont get why your lumping mma fighters and muay thai fighters together.

anderson silva the best clinch fighter ever in mma? probably so.

rich franklin did not know how to clinch....at all

Uberee, was more effective in the clinch. Today's Overeem has declined technically and physically so he's not as dangerous but K-1 Reem was probably the most dangerous clincher in the history of MMA.
Mighty Mouse is also great ihn the clinch. Anderson was good though alltho8ugh now with his declining chin he's not as dangerous he's not perfect technically in the clinch. in his prime he ate the few shots that got through but since the Weidman fight he's almost scared to clinch.

Pssssst - Dieselnoi, Yodwicha and Petchboonchu (who you forgot to mention) fights against fighters who have way better MT than any MMA fighter does...

He only notable in MMA, and MMA is not very deep especially when he at his prime.

Hey @jtwarwagon4life were you hoping this troll job would have resulted in people agreeing with you to prove a point (they didn't) or were you just going for satire?

Anderson's not even the best muay thai style clincher to fight in the UFC within the last ten years.

Fact: Andy graduated to rank of purple belt at a younger age than anyone from Thailand

Fact: Andy graduated to rank of purple belt at a younger age than anyone from Thailand
He was later awarded his Black Belt in Muay Thai from Steven Seagal. Credentials don't get more legit than that.

I know that Christmas is a slow week in the sport of kickfighting, but can't you come up with something better than trolling nonsense like this? Tenshin Nasukawa is competing in a four man kickboxing tournament in Rizin FF this weekend, how about that for a topic instead?

I dont get why your lumping mma fighters and muay thai fighters together.

anderson silva the best clinch fighter ever in mma? probably so.

rich franklin did not know how to clinch....at all

People have different tastes. There is a beauty in what Pepsi and Petchboonchu did but also in what Anderson did against MMA fighters. All in the eye of the beholder. The definition of great clincher is vague though. It's the same in GOAT discussions because everyone mean different things.

People have different tastes. There is a beauty in what Pepsi and Petchboonchu did but also in what Anderson did against MMA fighters. All in the eye of the beholder. The definition of great clincher is vague though. It's the same in GOAT discussions because everyone mean different things.

comparing how well a guy that knows how to clinch(silva) did against guys that didnt know to to clinch (mma fighters in general)

vs

2 people that know how to clinch is apples to oranges.

i use the silva vs franklin match as a prime example of how easy it is to dominate someone who doesnt know how to clinch

Bro there is levels to the clinch game though. Remember what Kevin Ross was saying on Joe Rogan's podcast? He was saying that Anderson's clinch game was relatively basic compared to elite muay thai fighters. What made Anderson great is that he mixed other striking arts like taekwondo, boxing, karate WITH muay thai. When you have such a diverse attack the opponent can't tell what's coming, that's the future of martial arts.

Last edited:
Back