Is Billy Idol PUNK

Cheese

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He seems like he was a cool dude in the 80s with his Punk look but his songs sound more Pop than Punk to me but I do admit I only know his radio hits and not much else. So was he a pop star that look Punk or was he legit Punk that made some pop hits.

tumblr_n789gfJGSV1s0sc01o1_500.jpg

He was a new waver scenester terrorist pseudo punk cock rocker

I don't see where you are getting Billy Idol confused with Pop. He has never been and will never be Pop. Michael Jackson was Pop.

I don't see where you are getting Billy Idol confused with Pop. He has never been and will never be Pop. Michael Jackson was Pop.

IDK some say Blink 182 was Pop.

In the early days of New Wave and Punk, the two lines between the genres often were very blurry. And bands in the genres often toured/played together.

Billy Idol was radio friendly rock. Blink was pop punk when they made it big. Their earlier stuff was much harder, but would never have made them the money. I'm not judging, I actually really like Blink and even Billy, but neither were hard core punk when they got their money.

No.
Hardish rock with a quasi punk coat of paint.

I thought his guitarist had a good sound. But it wasn't even within a half mile of punk.

I will let you know my opinion after I see his concert at the end of April.

Hes the Phil Collins of punk

and headkicktoleg summed it up best.

Not a real slight against Idol but his punk roots are very commercialized

Also it would probably depend on what part of his career you're talking about. Billy was in punk band Generation X. Later solo stuff could at times be considered post punk, new wave or glam.

He was considered a sellout by the hardcore punk scene
Dude made great music though

That's actually a good question. I'm a former punk and I couldn't tell ya. I'm wondering if he gave punk some of the look that came to define them, like the lip snarl thing....or if he just ripped that stuff off from someone else? Did he come around before or after the Sex Pistols?

Back