Is Billy Idol PUNK

Nice. I'm playing a Rickenbacker and a Jaguar. I only ever play clean now.
If you've got a Fender Deluxe or a Reverb, I'll bet you have that sound, that great clean chicken pickin sound, full throated, beautiful.
I love playing clean, too.
When I'm not doing my Mustaine impressions, I'm more Jerry Garcia and George Harrison.

tumblr_m3tld622rl1qkx3d4o4_250.gif

If you've got a Fender Deluxe or a Reverb, I'll bet you have that sound, that great clean chicken pickin sound, full throated, beautiful.
I love playing clean, too.
When I'm not doing my Mustaine impressions, I'm more Jerry Garcia and George Harrison.
Close!
http://www.allenamps.com/brownsugar.php
I used to be a shredder myself. I was a big Yngwie fan. At some point I started being infatuated by country and jazz. Nothing like going full Spinal Tap though! What are you plugged into these days?

Close!
http://www.allenamps.com/brownsugar.php
I used to be a shredder myself. I was a big Yngwie fan. At some point I started being infatuated by country and jazz. Nothing like going full Spinal Tap though! What are you plugged into these days?
Awesome.
Still a Deluxe. I gave up the Marshall stack, too much amp.
The Deluxe is still too much, it's as loud as I ever need it to be, as a bar and party player.

My thing is heavy vibrato, trying to replicate an electric violin.

When they have gay songs like September Ends no, no they are not.

Billy Joe is just the male version of Dolores O'Riordan (RIP) in that track. Nothing punk about the Cranberries. So ya. Well there it is.gif

This was back well before then. Like when Dookie was still big. I remember everyone arguing about it. Then after them it was Blink 182 and then they moved on to Avril Lavigne.

Awesome.
Still a Deluxe. I gave up the Marshall stack, too much amp.
The Deluxe is still too much, it's as loud as I ever need it to be, as a bar and party player.

My thing is heavy vibrato, trying to replicate an electric violin.
Shit, must have been fun. I never had a full stack. I'm in my 20's so when I was still gigging I could barely get away with a half-stack.

Deluxes are killer amps though. Probably one of the most recorded amps in history. Made for a Strat so I'm sure you grin everytime you fire it up. I'm going for the piano sound.

Shit, must have been fun. I never had a full stack. I'm in my 20's so when I was still gigging I could barely get away with a half-stack.

Deluxes are killer amps though. Probably one of the most recorded amps in history. Made for a Strat so I'm sure you grin everytime you fire it up. I'm going for the piano sound.
Yah, combined with a Strat, the headroom is max.
I can dial in great sounds for sure, but the dirt channel is worthless.

That piano sound. Do you use any effects or just pure?

Yah, combined with a Strat, the headroom is max.
I can dial in great sounds for sure, but the dirt channel is worthless.

That piano sound. Do you use any effects or just pure?
Fender dirt channels typically are worthless! There are some pretty nice dirt pedals these days though. I mostly use delay(a real space echo) but sometimes some chorus and wah. Pretty minimalist. I had a POG at one point which I really liked, maybe I'll get another. You could do some cool octave up and down shit and even cop an organ sound. I only play for fun these days though so fancy shit is wasted on me.

Fender dirt channels typically are worthless! There are some pretty nice dirt pedals these days though. I mostly use delay(a real space echo) but sometimes some chorus and wah. Pretty minimalist. I had a POG at one point which I really liked, maybe I'll get another. You could do some cool octave up and down shit and even cop an organ sound. I only play for fun these days though so fancy shit is wasted on me.
I rely on my good old silver knob DS-1 for distortion sounds. I bought it thirty years ago, Boss pedals are workhorses.

I really liked the EH organ pedal... for about a minute. Very cool pedal, sounds just like an organ, but there's an annoying tone that sits there and never goes away, even without a guitar plugged into it.

I rely on my good old silver knob DS-1 for distortion sounds. I bought it thirty years ago, Boss pedals are workhorses.

I really liked the EH organ pedal... for about a minute. Very cool pedal, sounds just like an organ, but there's an annoying tone that sits there and never goes away, even without a guitar plugged into it.
Oh I know all about the Made in Japan Boss. That must be worth 5× what you orginally paid for it.
electro-harmonix-pog-polyphonic-octave-generator-guitar-effects-pedal-xl.jpg

That was the one. Some real cool jangly tones to be had with the octave up.

Punk was poorly defined back then. It was based on the visual compared to disco and rock performers.

Acts like The Cars and Elvis Costello were even considered punk at one time.
This is true. Blondie was considered a punk band too. Hard to reconcile them with a band like the Exploited.

That was one of his worst hits.....check this out.

Until I saw this thread tonight I never realized this was Billy Idol. I remember this song from the SLC soundtrack, which was pretty fantastic

Billy Idol was radio friendly rock. Blink was pop punk when they made it big. Their earlier stuff was much harder, but would never have made them the money. I'm not judging, I actually really like Blink and even Billy, but neither were hard core punk when they got their money.

I've always felt Dammit was Blink's best song but I enjoyed a lot of their stuff overall- from when they were on the fringe of breaking out to the later years. I'm sure I haven't listened to some of their earliest material though and am interested to hear it.

Back