Is boxing a good judo complement ?

Another thought, boxing is probably the most important striking skill for grapplers in full contact fighting. As others have mentioned, the head movement you will learn will be invaluable in closing the distance and entering the clinch/attempting takedowns without taking a lot of shots.

My wrestling skills have found a whole new level of effectiveness after my exerpience in boxing. In wrestling/grappling you set up the takedown by hand fighting. Boxing is the "hand fighting" of full contact figthing.

Another thought, boxing is probably the most important striking skill for grapplers in full contact fighting. As others have mentioned, the head movement you will learn will be invaluable in closing the distance and entering the clinch/attempting takedowns without taking a lot of shots.

My wrestling skills have found a whole new level of effectiveness after my exerpience in boxing. In wrestling/grappling you set up the takedown by hand fighting. Boxing is the "hand fighting" of full contact figthing.

Actually boxing is my go to argument against Krav Maga or special tactical systems some guys practice preaching "is not a sport", boxing is just one of the best way to use your hands , never gave it a try because prefered Muay Thai and besides judo I didn´t have anything close.

Last paragraph is a great answer, I was just watching last Dos Anjos fight and while MMA is not pure boxing I saw so many intechanges that boxing there could have finish the fight more times than wrestling, BJJ o kicking.

It seems like there's a bit of variation in what people regard as slipping and I'm not a striker so I can't be sure, but I understand slipping as when you bring your shoulder to the side of the opposite knee which allows you to move you're head away from straight punches. You can then counter-strike when your opponent's off-balance of attempt and go in for a clinch then.

There are a lot of techniques from traditional martial arts you can use in MMA, even wing chun found its way in with the oblique kick. Just make sure you practice under MMA rules, without a gi it can be a bit more challenging.
I didn´t mean to say they that Traditional techniques are useless by the way but in some areas they swear they´ll stop some raging bull kind of puncher with a la Matrix kind of blocks.

If it's a good club go for it!

I moved away from my Judo school to an area that had an Olympic level TKD school right as it was being added to the games.

After 8 years I moved again closer to kickboxing gym and a very old school Judo club. The combination of TKD work ethic speed and timing transitioned well with kickboxing and great back to Judo, my first art.

If there's high level training right around the corner it would be foolish not to try it.

Boxing conditioning, timing, footwork distance control will all help your speed and Tsukuri. And getting hit in the face will make you recognize openings in Randori much faster.

Go for it!

Boxing is good for anyone with hands to learn.

But Muay Thai if available synergizes really well with Judo as they overlap in the clinch game and you can flow between strikes and throws in the clinch.

I actually think MT is a better choice if you are combining it with judo. Boxing tends to feature a wider stance whereas MT is more upright. Due to the need to kick, MT practitioners also tend to be square on with their opponents than boxing (which often has a more bladed stance).

As shunyata also mentioned, a good MT school will also teach you how to combine sweeps wth normal striking which will be great in helping you transition from one art to another.

Boxing is awesome. The defensive technique in boxing is probably the best in the world of standup fighting. As for complementing Judo, any striking style will complement it just fine, there's not really any reason to prefer one over another in that respect.

Boxing is awesome. The defensive technique in boxing is probably the best in the world of standup fighting. As for complementing Judo, any striking style will complement it just fine, there's not really any reason to prefer one over another in that respect.
For sure but I don´t like karate and boxing is the only option around.
If it's a good club go for it!

I moved away from my Judo school to an area that had an Olympic level TKD school right as it was being added to the games.

After 8 years I moved again closer to kickboxing gym and a very old school Judo club. The combination of TKD work ethic speed and timing transitioned well with kickboxing and great back to Judo, my first art.

If there's high level training right around the corner it would be foolish not to try it.

Boxing conditioning, timing, footwork distance control will all help your speed and Tsukuri. And getting hit in the face will make you recognize openings in Randori much faster.

Go for it!
I am in that dilema now as judo classes take 1:30 hour of travel in rush hour and I hate to train once or twice per week when I make it because I don´t like to interrupt the class.

I actually think MT is a better choice if you are combining it with judo. Boxing tends to feature a wider stance whereas MT is more upright. Due to the need to kick, MT practitioners also tend to be square on with their opponents than boxing (which often has a more bladed stance).

As shunyata also mentioned, a good MT school will also teach you how to combine sweeps wth normal striking which will be great in helping you transition from one art to another.

You´re both right, as I said before my striking base is one year of Muay Thai but there´s nothing around anymore so boxing is like 4 blocks from home and well is the best option.

PD: Sasae was my bread and butter both judo and from thai clinch.
PD2: I couldn´t quote Shun, stupid mouse.

I will preface this by saying that I have no personal experience boxing myself. However, judo + boxing is a pretty old combination. For what it's worth, most of the big judoka that went into MMA (that I can recall) seemed to use boxing as the foundation of their striking. For instance, you have Hidehiko Yoshida, Michihiro Omigawa, and yes, Ronda Rousey. In terms of others with judo backgrounds, Gegard Mousasi favours boxing as well. While I'm sure there are many counter examples, I think those are sufficient to show the combo does work. Based on your situation, I think giving boxing a try would be a great idea. If it doesn't work out, you can always go back to power lifting.

Here's Omigawa from when he beat Takaya (watching this live was awesome, this version on youtube much less so):

51%2BWAixzHCL._SX320_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Boxing + Judo is a very solid choice in my opinion, especially for self defence / street altercations. Your hands are the most readily available weapon and do not require the longer distance generally required for kicking. Streetfights tend to see distance swallowed up very quickly by a determined aggressor, so a combination of boxing + judo clinches + throws would serve you very well close in.

If you don't like taking damage but enjoy having the option to sneak it quickly and frustratingly past almost everyone else's entire concept of defense, boxing is the one for you

Boxing + Judo is a very solid choice in my opinion, especially for self defence / street altercations. Your hands are the most readily available weapon and do not require the longer distance generally required for kicking. Streetfights tend to see distance swallowed up very quickly by a determined aggressor, so a combination of boxing + judo clinches + throws would serve you very well close in.
I am more into complement myself as a fighter but remember once this guy, Wesley Snipes bodyguard said boxing was super useful despite being a sport so I totally believe you.
If you don't like taking damage but enjoy having the option to sneak it quickly and frustratingly past almost everyone else's entire concept of defense, boxing is the one for you
Actually some guys say that despite my weight and size I move well so I am motivated.

However, judo + boxing is a pretty old combination. For what it's worth, most of the big judoka that went into MMA (that I can recall) seemed to use boxing as the foundation of their striking. For instance, you have Hidehiko Yoshida, Michihiro Omigawa, and yes, Ronda Rousey.

There was also a fat Russian boy named Frank or Fredo. Something like that.

There was also a fat Russian boy named Frank or Fredo. Something like that.
I thought about including him, but he uses a style that doesn't look as much like classical boxing to my untrained eye. I didn't want to list him, then risk having people who actually know about boxing tell me how wrong I am.

I thought about including him, but he uses a style that doesn't look as much like classical boxing to my untrained eye. I didn't want to list him, then risk having people who actually know about boxing tell me how wrong I am.

His boxing stance was actually pretty old school. Almost like John L. Sullivan

Back