Is Canada and France Behind GSP on this?

Seriously. People need to learn the difference between the French, and French Canadians who wish they were from France.

Well, actually lots of French Canadians are from France, see the colonization of North America. Also, the majority of people here are of the opinion that French are gays, which i find a bit too much. Their accent is effeminate, the way we see it.

On topic: surprinsigly, i havent aeen any promotion for GSP, and I live in Montreal. So I guess lots of people don't even know hes back. Lack of promotion.

Why would France be? He's from Quebec. They consider the French spoken by Quebecois to be basically French spoken by someone with Downs Syndrome.
Do Quebecians feel the same about the French spoken in France? It must work in both ways, no?

Pretty much every Canadian I know that watches sports is hyped for gsp. I honestly think he might be bigger in Toronto than Montreal

Nope, in my area atleast (Northern England) folks want Ping to smash GSP. Can't see why the Southerners wouldn't want him to win either.

I’m a southerner and I want GSP to maul Bisping the dumb manc

?

I've been to France for work over a dozen times and I am bilingual.... Paris is the worst. When I speak "Canadian" french they pretend not to understand in a lot of places. To the point where when I've been out with employees in Paris they have actually told off server staff. And my french is fluent...

Must be my bad luck the half dozen times it has happened. I even had a server ask me what language I was speaking while laughing.

As for relationships, my family (the majority of which lives in Quebec) don't know anyone from France.
people at restaurants and such in Paris are the worst. it's similar in Barcelona. you ask them for anything and they look back at you like Wtf are you asking me for water you peasant?

Pretty much every Canadian I know that watches sports is hyped for gsp. I honestly think he might be bigger in Toronto than Montreal
Im in Montreal and there's no buzz about the fight. I remember when he fought Hardy/Alves, everyone wanted to see those fights. Even those who didnt give a damn about mma. Now, not so much.

France and Quebec have no relation. Try making the mistake of using Quebecois french in France. They laugh at you.

On another note, while I am not a particular fan of GSP (his fights after the Serra loss became mind numbingly boring), I can't stand Bisping as the guy is a pure tool. As such hoping GSP smothers him for 25 minutes. It's far more likely that Bisping wins though.

U dumb..

What you are saying is like : great Britain and USA have no relation.

Seriously. People need to learn the difference between the French, and French Canadians who wish they were from France.
No one wants to be from France... girls have hairy armpits there!

?

I've been to France for work over a dozen times and I am bilingual.... Paris is the worst. When I speak "Canadian" french they pretend not to understand in a lot of places. To the point where when I've been out with employees in Paris they have actually told off server staff. And my french is fluent...

Must be my bad luck the half dozen times it has happened. I even had a server ask me what language I was speaking while laughing.

As for relationships, my family (the majority of which lives in Quebec) don't know anyone from France.

Funny things is that Quebec accent is the accent of France like it was spoken centuries ago.

Do Quebecians feel the same about the French spoken in France? It must work in both ways, no?
Their accent sounds a bit gay to us... also a bit snobish. Isn't similar for English speaking Canadians and Americains when they hear an English talk about his tea and "football"?

I’m from Montreal, and let me tell you the French in Quebec, is nothing like the French in France.

U dumb..

What you are saying is like : great Britain and USA have no relation.

? And what relation does Great Britain and the United states have exactly? Other than similarity of language, the cultures are very different.

It's like saying because french is spoken in St. Lucia (where my GF is from), it has close relations to Quebec or even France.

The United States has distanced itself from it's European ancestors as much as possible. Part of the reason why American's are treated so poorly in most of Europe. Last time I was in Spain, I was mistaken for an American at a shop (I'm a tall white guy that speaks english without any accent...) and the guy was openly hostile. I asked him what his problem was and he said he didn't like Americans... told him I was Canadian and his tune changed immediately. I still left the fucking store as I have plenty of family and friends in the US and don't tolerate that shit but it did emphasize a point.

Canada has a British Queen. They are lapdogs.

Oh great, another stupid GSP thread about nothing. In the last few days we've talked about his height, his first sexual experience, and now the Battle of the Plains of Abraham and Seven Years War. Honestly this is why people look down on MMA fans.

hey-you-dont-ask-stupid-questions.jpg

Yea because if I was part of the largest group of french people who never surrendered anywhere ever I would for sure wish i was part of the group that surrenders at the drop of a hat

And we call each others cousins. So it's a deeper relationship than most "countries". We share a cultural baggage after all. Their artists come here all the time and our artists go their all the time. They have a better knowledge of Quebec's culture than other provinces have.

There is still zero fraternity when it comes to sports, mostly because we don't care about the same things. We can root by default for Belgium if they go farther than us in a competition, but we won't do the same for Canada.

The accent might be a bigger issue than your French. Even if you don't make any mistake, you still have the accent of a Native English speaker who learned one of the thickest French accent in the world. I'm French and I also speak Creole, which means I'm used to pretty hardcore deformed French, and I still don't understand the earliest comedies from François Perusse. Some of Xavier Dolan's movies are subtitled in France, while not even Brad Pitt's horrible job in Allies got that treatment.

It's so easy for a Quebecer to imitate the french accent, or to have an ''international'' french accent.

I have never met a single Quebecer who fooled anyone with his accent. You'll eventually pronounce an American word or name correctly, which is always the biggest clue lol (it's pretty telling about how bad French people are at English).

And honestly, I think dubs in Quebec are generally better because the accent is softer and we are North Americans after all. The sensibility is closer. Just hear Will Smith in this video... The one from France is more over the top (IMO).

French dubs are horrible, last time I accidentally saw a VF movie I left the cinema after the first dialogue.

Back