Is Canelo the Definitive Face of Boxing?

FightGuyOpenMind

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
There has been a void ever since Floyd "retired". Many great fighters have been present, but no one could seem to break out as the face of boxing. With Canelo taking down the once feared GGG, giving him a loss on his record, is Alvarez the new poster boy of the sport?

Considering he has the image, the skill, the fanbase, the promoter, is he now the man to be thought of when talking boxing?

not being able to speak good English and his reputation for getting favourable decisions hold him back

edit: plus being a drug cheat though that's probably not all that damning to the public

Last edited:
Canelo is not a Drug Cheat. K2 and affiliates, especially HBO, found a way to exploit the rematch for more revenue gain. The whole boxing community sweeps HBO's Fight Of The Year with Vargas vs Salido. VADA and HBO swept Vargas' findings all under the rug who had more meat contamination amount than Canelo and close to his fight. Any man that can see through the lines knows they exploited Clenbuterol from WADA's list since there's no treshold, so any amount is a positive finding including .0000000008ng is a positivie result.

Also Nandrolone - the actual anabolic steroid - has a threshold from WADA. If you guys don't see the obvious tactics that K2 WON over GBP, then I suggest learning about legal battles. This is the sole reason why Canelo was upset.

An amazing era in boxing has just pretty much ended, so there is a bit of a lull right now in terms of superstars. I guess if you have to anoint someone a superstar right now it'd be Canelo. In his defense, the era that just ended (Pac, Marquez, Cotto, Bradley, Mayweather, etc.) is a fucking tough one to equal.

An amazing era in boxing has just pretty much ended, so there is a bit of a lull right now in terms of superstars. I guess if you have to anoint someone a superstar right now it'd be Canelo. In his defense, the era that just ended (Pac, Marquez, Cotto, Bradley, Mayweather, etc.) is a fucking tough one to equal.

since you're speaking of Defense, aside from Mayweather, all the other fighters you mentioned have been dropped to the canvas throughout their careers. I do recall Floyd touching the canvas once with his glove and had an actual count... Canelo at best was rocked by Jose Cotto but fought smart to hinder off the effect by walking to the other side of the ring. This was the particular bout that assured GGG fans that Canelo wouldnt stand a chance against GGG because of the Jose Cotto bout. Making mistakes as a pup and green is not the same as accumulated experience. And in all blows in boxing, sometimes you brain wont rattle around as it did in another fighter with harder punch.

No, especially with boxing becoming as big as it is in the UK. He's the biggest name in North America and is going to be a strong draw for a long time, but a guy like Joshua has massive potential in the UK and beyond if he can win his fights. There is no definitive face of boxing at the moment, and there rarely has been a fixed one in the sport's history for any amount of time. We'll see how things go.

No, especially with boxing becoming as big as it is in the UK. He's the biggest name in North America and is going to be a strong draw for a long time, but a guy like Joshua has massive potential in the UK and beyond if he can win his fights. There is no definitive face of boxing at the moment, and there rarely has been a fixed one in the sport's history for any amount of time. We'll see how things go.

Well new narratives are being written about Canelo in the USA and in Mexico, some citing ''reinvigorated.'' Mexican News Outlets and its sports media are going nuts and critical about his win, citing differences from the first fight and his last. Canelo pretty much stole Los Angeles fans from Golovkin in the rematch. Isn't California's population alone bigger than the UK? the Japanese and Russian boxing outlets love Canelo Alvarez. Different language and culture spark different criticism that doesnt necessarily rally with American gossip.

Definitively? Absolutely no way. Maybe for Mexicans.

screen-shot-2015-10-27-at-11-59-18-am.jpg

Isn't California's population alone bigger than the UK?
No it's not, lol.

No one right now outside of Mayweather and Pacquiao is all that close to transcending the sport and becoming an icon in pop culture internationally. Joshua probably has the best chance there.

He has the looks, the skill...but unfortunately he doesn't speak English fluently, so he wont have the crossover appeal like Delahoya did to obtain Superstar, poster boy status of boxing.

Heavyweights are starting to get more popularity.

Who knows what will happen after Joshua vs wilder.

I still think Errol Spence will be the next super star

Marquez? Come on , not even in Mexico

Pac and Mayweather were the faces of boxing

Now it's Canelo in North America and
AJ in Europe

And that's healthy for boxing

Marquez? Come on , not even in Mexico

Pac and Mayweather were the faces of boxing

Now it's Canelo in North America and
AJ in Europe

And that's healthy for boxing

I think that's overstating it as well... I would say he is one of the big faces of boxing, but not the definitive, poster boy of it.

We haven't even seen him in local commercials yet.

I think that's overstating it as well... I would say he is one of the big faces of boxing, but not the definitive, poster boy of it.

We haven't even seen him in local commercials yet.
It's not debatable he is the face of boxing in North America

Tons of mainstream commercials in North America

But i am curious on your definition of face of boxing

As people have noted, the lack of English will hamper him. It shouldn’t be that way, but there you have it.

Joshua has the best shot if he keeps winning impressively, and if he beats Wilder. I just don’t see him fighting Wilder any time soon or even at all. Doesn’t his relationship with Hearn/DAZN preclude that fight from happening?

In Britain I’d say lomachenko is the guy held in the highest regard. Much more than canelo. Canelo is a great fighter but a confirmed cheat.

As people have noted, the lack of English will hamper him. It shouldn’t be that way, but there you have it.

Joshua has the best shot if he keeps winning impressively, and if he beats Wilder. I just don’t see him fighting Wilder any time soon or even at all. Doesn’t his relationship with Hearn/DAZN preclude that fight from happening?

The venues booked for Joshua vs wilder in April if they can agree the fight. I’m not sure it will happen at all

Canelo and AJ. It isnt even close.

Canelo’s numbers speak for themselves.

It's not debatable he is the face of boxing in North America

Tons of mainstream commercials in North America

But i am curious on your definition of face of boxing

Dude, that is still very debatable. That's what we are doing now.

Hell, Mayweather is still more popular than Canelo, despite being on and off retired.

Is canelo one of the superstars of boxing? Absolutely.

To answer your question, my definition of "the face of boxing" means someone whose status pretty much transcends the sport and all of the sanctioning bodies...a person whose popularity reaches out beyond the true fans, casuals and everyday folk who rarely if ever watch boxing. For example, you hear the word "boxing" and immediately several fighters come to mind.

Examples of this would be Mike Tyson, delahoya, and to a slightly lesser extent, Mayweather and manny Pacquiao.

Back