Is Canelo the Definitive Face of Boxing?

Im truly taken back by the amount of people trying to write off and downplay Canelo’s popularity in this thread.

How many top selling PPVs and live gates does he need to headline before you take your heads out of the sand?

Not just his ppv sales but look at his resume...i dont see it mentioned much in the boxing forum. His resume is amazing...and I dislike the cheating cunt (but admire his boxing skills/ability/record)

I'd say across the United states Mexico and that whole side of the world.

The rest of the world no.

Dude, that is still very debatable. That's what we are doing now.

Hell, Mayweather is still more popular than Canelo, despite being on and off retired.

Is canelo one of the superstars of boxing? Absolutely.

To answer your question, my definition of "the face of boxing" means someone whose status pretty much transcends the sport and all of the sanctioning bodies...a person whose popularity reaches out beyond the true fans, casuals and everyday folk who rarely if ever watch boxing. For example, you hear the word "boxing" and immediately several fighters come to mind.

Examples of this would be Mike Tyson, delahoya, and to a slightly lesser extent, Mayweather and manny Pacquiao.
I don't see how Mayweather was to a lesser extent when he has all the highest selling PPV's and the only one to break the 2 million ppv mark 4 times.
Nah. There's really nowhere for Lomachenko to go. He'll never come close to really breaking through.
I won't say never, but it'd take something like a tv show, like maybe if he did Dancing with the Stars as well as boxing. He did take Ukrainian dance growing up, so he'd probably excel at that too. He'd also need that Mikey fight to happen(i expect around cinco de mayo next year) and for casual fans not to say he sucks if he gets dropped by the unanimous number 1 ranked fighter in a division like Linares was, which won't happen.

I don't see how Mayweather was to a lesser extent when he has all the highest selling PPV's and the only one to break the 2 million ppv mark 4 times.

I won't say never, but it'd take something like a tv show, like maybe if he did Dancing with the Stars as well as boxing. He did take Ukrainian dance growing up, so he'd probably excel at that too. He'd also need that Mikey fight to happen(i expect around cinco de mayo next year) and for casual fans not to say he sucks if he gets dropped by the unanimous number 1 ranked fighter in a division like Linares was, which won't happen.

They announced Loma and Mikey?

They announced Loma and Mikey?
No, but it makes sense given the time frame. Loma will face Pedraza early Dec and early next year it's looking like Mikey/Commey mandatory will happen, which after that, as long as Mikey doesn't sign with DAZN(he doesn't have a promoter, just aligned with Haymon) then that's the fight that makes sense Spring 2019. The only wrench is if the Mikey/Spence fight happens, which if Mikey fights at 147, I expect his fight after that to be at 140, possibly with Linares.

No, but it makes sense given the time frame. Loma will face Pedraza early Dec and early next year it's looking like Mikey/Commey mandatory will happen, which after that, as long as Mikey doesn't sign with DAZN(he doesn't have a promoter, just aligned with Haymon) then that's the fight that makes sense Spring 2019. The only wrench is if the Mikey/Spence fight happens, which if Mikey fights at 147, I expect his fight after that to be at 140, possibly with Linares.

I think fighting Spence would be unwise. He is too little. Spence walks around at 175-180; sparring with Charlo.

Yes, canelo is the most famous fighter right now and one of the few or maybe the only one right now that can sell a + million ppv card at full price but Joshua has the potential to bring the spotlight back to the HW division, even wilder could maybe do it but my money is on Joshua if he starts fighting more in the USA as well as filling up stadiums in England.

But right now it’s canelo for sure

The worst thing about Canelo winning against GGG is the fact that now we have all the "GGG Superfans" jumping ship and banging on about how they've liked Canelo since his Mayweather fight.

Not for me.

I can't lie, I can't stand the horse meat eating mofo.

The cheating, the corruption of Golden Boy behind him etc etc, that's not what boxing's about for me.

You have Joshua, Usyk, Wilder, Lomachenko, Spence etc all of which I respect a lot more than Canelo.

The worst thing about Canelo winning against GGG is the fact that now we have all the "GGG Superfans" jumping ship and banging on about how they've liked Canelo since his Mayweather fight.
You'll have some , I think they jumped ship to the clean Potvekin before AJ sparked him so the next boat they will sail on is Loma and Derevyanchenko

I don't.understand how great fighters like Jacobs and Spence don't get attention like say GGG type guys untill they do a slight public appearance slightly buzzed they only look for the negative but people like GGG and the clean Potvekin get a pass

DBN here

Dude, that is still very debatable. That's what we are doing now.

Hell, Mayweather is still more popular than Canelo, despite being on and off retired.

Is canelo one of the superstars of boxing? Absolutely.

To answer your question, my definition of "the face of boxing" means someone whose status pretty much transcends the sport and all of the sanctioning bodies...a person whose popularity reaches out beyond the true fans, casuals and everyday folk who rarely if ever watch boxing. For example, you hear the word "boxing" and immediately several fighters come to mind.

Examples of this would be Mike Tyson, delahoya, and to a slightly lesser extent, Mayweather and manny Pacquiao.

In all fairness Tyson and Ali are probably the only guys to transcend the sport. And rocky balboa

I think if the question needs to be asked if someone is the face of a sport, they probably aren't. Kinda how Mario was the face of Nintendo and no one ever asked if the he was or wasn't, everyone just knew. Hell, he still kinda is.

I think if the question needs to be asked if someone is the face of a sport, they probably aren't. Kinda how Mario was the face of Nintendo and no one ever asked if the he was or wasn't, everyone just knew. Hell, he still kinda is.
Good point I'll make a post if GGG has the highest KO ratio as middlewieght , that way he probably isn't

Good point I'll make a post if GGG has the highest KO ratio as middlewieght , that way he probably isn't

You can't compare a statistic to general public opinion, they are very different things; using a false equivalency just to be pedantic doesn't get us anywhere in the discussion.

Not for me.

I can't lie, I can't stand the horse meat eating mofo.

The cheating, the corruption of Golden Boy behind him etc etc, that's not what boxing's about for me.

You have Joshua, Usyk, Wilder, Lomachenko, Spence etc all of which I respect a lot more than Canelo.
Your favorite guy lost so everything about Canelo sucks and/or is corrupt.

You can't compare a statistic to general public opinion, they are very different things; using a false equivalency just to be pedantic doesn't get us anywhere in the discussion.
Do you deny Canelo and Aj are the faces of Boxing at this time Sept 25, 2018, 1:52 pst?

Do you deny Canelo and Aj are the faces of Boxing at this time Sept 25, 2018, 1:52 pst?

I'd say they're the most popular active fighters, but not the faces of Boxing. In my opinion, Boxing currently has no face.

I'd say they're the most popular active fighters, but not the faces of Boxing. In my opinion, Boxing currently has no face.
I am glad you added opinion

What in your opinion defines face of (insert sport)

I am glad you added opinion

What in your opinion defines face of (insert sport)

I feel that being the face of a sport is being the first athlete that comes to mind when anyone thinks about a particular sport, along with having heavy influence and respect within the sport. Canelo and AJ are very popular active Boxers, but I would more quickly see Floyd or Manny as a debatable face of Boxing than them.

This is purely anecdotal, but I've only run into a handful of people who even know who Canelo or GGG is, and I've never met anyone who knows about AJ. However, I know a lot of people who know about Floyd, Pac, Hopkins, etc.

Back