Is catch wrestling dead? [QUINTET spoiler inside]

Also as a law enforcement officer maybe stop and think most people dont just beat someone to death. For multiple reasons... most people are untrained and in pathetic shape. Or how about that they dont want to kill anyone? They want to teach someone a lesson or show off. Plenty of fights end on their own accord because we arent all savages.

Now. My entire point was stalling in guard should be a last ditch effort. Holding on and praying for intervention isnt proactive, its not a good game plan in any instance and I still believe that.
Why would you tell me to stop and think "most people don't beat someone to death" when that was my point.

Stalling can definitely be a good choice. I prefer the term control though. If you are effective at trap guarding and stopping strikes while you control your opponent/attacker it minimizes damage until help arrives.

I think it's obvious that if you're capable of gaining top position or incapacitating your opponent that ideal. However, we can all find someone who can hand us our ass. When we find that person, being able control their posture and prevent meaningful strikes is your best option.

Melanson is full of shit... sorry...

He’s shitting on Randy’s previous Bjj coaches, but as far as we can see, melanson himself is a very guard Oriantated person... he calls himself a catch wrestler though most of his work revolves around guard play... what the hell was he going to teach randy regarding wrestling?

Have anyone ever seen any of the stuff he shows on his dvds, which are “his” work ever in a decent at least competition environment?

Melanson is not a catchwrestler. He only uses it for marketing purposes. Before he tried get famous marketing himself as a catchwrestler he tried to brand his style american jiu jitsu. He started out training at a Bart Vale shootfighting school and then spent about a year at the Hayastan academy.

The ISWA with Boyd Ritchie reached out to Melanson to try start some competitions. Melanson was only interested until he found out that catchwrestling included pins.

Why are all good catch wrestlers big guys? Maybe this is just a bit of selection bias, but seems like everybody who's dangerous with a Catch style is the size of Erik Paulsen, Josh Barnett, Neil Melanson. only smaller catch guys I've seen have success were the Sakuraba generation of Japanese fighters. Granted, it seems like a well-suited style for giants compared to a BJJ guard/sweep/pass game.

You're completly wrong. The Snakepit USA event which the video is from was a heavyweight tournament. However Curran Jacobs who won the tournament is not a heavyweight, he competed at 174 as an amateur wrestler and 185 in MMA. He is not a big guy.

There were also a few other entertaining matches during that event which was not a part of the tournament. Victor Henry from Josh Barnetts UWFi gym is competing at the 135 limit, a very small guy. He's been wrestling both in catch competitions and EBI.

Here is a video of Henry displaying a kind of leglock that you'll only see in catchwrestling:

Here's the rest of the videos from the event, which includes a lot of small catchwrestlers:

https://www.youtube.com/user/SnakePitUSA/videos

I would also like to mention England, especially the Snakepit. They don't have any heavyweights wrestlers (well they have like 1 or 2), the majority is a bunch of small guys. The Snakepit arranges a lot of competitions, you have to follow them on facebook since they rarely post their matches on youtube. However here's a video from their latest competition this summer,

Also there's Ian Bromley who is a small guy who runs his gym in Stockport, England. He is the smallest guy in his gym, retired now but used to compete a lot. He is the only one who have been training heavy with the two major catch wrestling lineages, The american one with Billy Wicks and the British one with Roy Wood.

Melanson is not a catchwrestler. He only uses it for marketing purposes. Before he tried get famous marketing himself as a catchwrestler he tried to brand his style american jiu jitsu. He started out training at a Bart Vale shootfighting school and then spent about a year at the Hayastan academy.

The ISWA with Boyd Ritchie reached out to Melanson to try start some competitions. Melanson was only interested until he found out that catchwrestling included pins.

You're completly wrong. The Snakepit USA event which the video is from was a heavyweight tournament. However Curran Jacobs who won the tournament is not a heavyweight, he competed at 174 as an amateur wrestler and 185 in MMA. He is not a big guy.

There were also a few other entertaining matches during that event which was not a part of the tournament. Victor Henry from Josh Barnetts UWFi gym is competing at the 135 limit, a very small guy. He's been wrestling both in catch competitions and EBI.

Here is a video of Henry displaying a kind of leglock that you'll only see in catchwrestling:

Here's the rest of the videos from the event, which includes a lot of small catchwrestlers:

https://www.youtube.com/user/SnakePitUSA/videos

I would also like to mention England, especially the Snakepit. They don't have any heavyweights wrestlers (well they have like 1 or 2), the majority is a bunch of small guys. The Snakepit arranges a lot of competitions, you have to follow them on facebook since they rarely post their matches on youtube. However here's a video from their latest competition this summer,

Also there's Ian Bromley who is a small guy who runs his gym in Stockport, England. He is the smallest guy in his gym, retired now but used to compete a lot. He is the only one who have been training heavy with the two major catch wrestling lineages, The american one with Billy Wicks and the British one with Roy Wood.

thanks for the interesting info. i meant that it seems like whenever you hear about a catch wrestler who crosses over into the mainstream grappling or MMA world it's almost always a heavy like Barnett or Paulson.

Hasn't catch wrestling been dead for a long time? We can name all the legit catch wrestlers. Try and name all the legit BJJ guys.

thanks for the interesting info. i meant that it seems like whenever you hear about a catch wrestler who crosses over into the mainstream grappling or MMA world it's almost always a heavy like Barnett or Paulson.

Barnett is without a doubt the most famous catchwrestler and a big heavyweight. Paulson however was competing at 185 lbs(Shooto light heavyweight is not 205). He only became big after he retired.

Im impressdied with Curran Jacobs I want to see him do some No Gi tournaments. Apparently Johnny Buck is a Catch Wrestler whos proving himself on No Gi.

Curran Jacobs vs Dirty Holt

Book it

catch wrestling today is like jkd it isnt a set system i know bjj has tons of positions guards certain coaches dont use but still it has a number of positions tecs everyone uses and teaches vs catch every catch guy is different same as jkd instructors. to me its basically just a term for submission grappling today

Im impressdied with Curran Jacobs I want to see him do some No Gi tournaments. Apparently Johnny Buck is a Catch Wrestler whos proving himself on No Gi.

Book it
curran is a beast he was a d1 from michagain then got into catch hes called out barnett many times due to barnett dissing him ect

Book it
Aren't they in completely different weight classes?

curran is a beast he was a d1 from michagain then got into catch hes called out barnett many times due to barnett dissing him ect

I want to see that match badly. But I am seeing a lot more Catch then a few years ago so I am happy.

Aren't they in completely different weight classes?
Im not sure but I have great respect for the both of them and hope Catch Wrestling can branch out more.

Catch is dead all the old guard are finished and don’t teach it
Funaki ken
Barnett does a bit

It’s a shame ken doesn’t pass knowledge on now
He is purest American catch guy ever

Catch isn't dead but they need new and young talent. Can't rely on old school legends like Barnett and Sakuraba.

Gene Lebell is still in the gym. If you can get to North Hollywood, go now.

I was interested in some catch or even folkstyle pin seminars. Jesus ;in the mid 2010’s they were charging early rorion Gracie prices.

No wonder catch is dying in the us.

Last edited:
catch wrestling will never die. Great instructors and very welcoming even if u come from sambo judo bjj background.

catch wrestling will never die. Great instructors and very welcoming even if u come from sambo judo bjj background.

Honestly there were so few catch guys in the first place and so many of them seem to charge an arm and a leg for seminars. It's not like catch has a country full of black belts willing to work. There simply isn't enough guys teaching and alot of them are simply overcharging for seminars.

I was interested in some catch or even folkstyle pin seminars. Jesus ;in the mid 2010’s they were charging early rorion Gracie prices.

No wonder catch is dying in the us.
There is a ton of top notch folkstyle stuff on YouTube. Top catch guys are long dead.

There is a ton of top notch folkstyle stuff on YouTube. Top catch guys are long dead.
maybe barnett retires and goes to be a full time coach. He has coached megumi fujii or whatever her name is. Her ground skills were insane.

Back