• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is Christopher Nolan the Most Overrated Director? Or is It George Lucas?

George Lucas made tons of money for Star Wars and than he basically disappeared after that. He actually hasn't directed much so I wouldn't consider him a great director. So he's not overrated by any means as a director. He just provided the stories, specifically Star Wars to the entertainment industry which he basically won the lottery with.

As for Christopher Nolan, I could see people say he's overrated. But the man has directed a lot of masterpiece movies and is only 53, he has a lot more to give. The guy is a bonafide genius imo. Appreciate him he's a rare commodity.

JJ Abrams because he basically conned people into calling him a genius for not telling a story(IE mystery box). Mystery box feels like something a student in school would come up with to avoid having to answer a question. Abrams is kind of a con man if you think about it, setting up all these questions he does not have answers to like Socrates(the OG grifter).

George lucas is a crap director and writer.

Worthless thread.

"WHO CAN WE SHIT ON TODAY??"

I could understand wanting to say who do you think is better,but shit man.

Literally everyone agrees Lucas is not a very good director.

Not rated highly at all.

JJ Abrams because he basically conned people into calling him a genius for not telling a story(IE mystery box). Mystery box feels like something a student in school would come up with to avoid having to answer a question. Abrams is kind of a con man if you think about it, setting up all these questions he does not have answers to like Socrates(the OG grifter).
I think its worse than that, his films are a confused mess that throw nostalgia and bad humour at the audience so fast they hope your confused into thinking your watching something good.

Nolan is only 53 damn. His best work was done in his 30s.

Yeah this is my answer too.

Everything he's ever done was a con job. He either sets up mysteries he can't resolve or he copies previous material like in Star trek and force awakens.

Dude should just be a cinematographer. I think he'd be ok at that

Lucas has a gift for writing. His writing in star wars and indiana jones is legendary.

Raiders_of_the_Lost_Ark_Theatrical_Poster.jpg

But I agree that he's not a great director.

Actually if you could combine Lucas's world building and writing. With Nolans direction an editing. Would be greatness.

They each are grest at what the other lacks

Neither. They both have made more than 1 great film.

They both also lucked out in similar ways. Lucas got lucky teaming up with Spielberg and John Williams, and Harrison Ford. Nolan got lucky to team up with his brother Jonathan (brilliant scriptwriter) and Hans Zimmer, and Michael Caine and Christian Bale.

But they're both really talented and deserve their recognition.

Last edited:
Actually if you could combine Lucas's world building and writing. With Nolans direction an editing. Would be greatness.

They each are grest at what the other lacks

I'm imagining the 'I hate sand' speech but with inaudible audio...which would've helped, no doubt.

Everything he's ever done was a con job. He either sets up mysteries he can't resolve or he copies previous material like in Star trek and force awakens.

He's not even very good at that a load of lens fare and clumsy dutch angles does not a good looking film make.

I think he totally failed to grasp the style of the original Starwars films, the kind of more subtle cinema verite Lucas used and someone like Gareth Edwards was able to replicate and add a bit of a new touch too, Abrams Starwars looks really straight forward and simplistic compared to that shoving various bits if SW iconography in your face.

Last edited:
Lucas has a gift for writing. His writing in star wars and indiana jones is legendary.

View attachment 1023184

But I agree that he's not a great director.

Even that is a stretch.

By all accounts he was an ideas man. Even Star Wars and Indiana Jones, despite being iconic, are basically retelling stories from the samurai and action/adventure pulp stories.

Without good support writers and exceptional editors you end up with….well, the Prequels.

I've never seen "Lost" but apparently he took the show title literally and there was no real finale.

I've never seen "Lost" but apparently he took the show title literally and there was no real finale.
Yeah it's true. They could teach screenwriting classes and use Lost as an example of what NOT to do.

There were decent writers on the staff, and that's why the episodes and characters were really good in the beginning.

But JJ Abrams job was to map out the long term overarching story and have a plan of how all the mysteries would be resolved in interesting ways, and judging by product, he didn't do his fucking job at all. Like he seriously must have just watched cat videos all day and collected a paycheck.

Back