Is competing at Masters divisions laughed at?

Ha no I'd never do that. In fact at recent competition I lost my first and only match and could have still got a bronze but didn't want a participation trophy as it doesn't mean anything
Are you being serious

When you turn 30, compete at Master 1 to see what it is like. I promise you it won't be as easy as you think.

I had a tough fight in national purple belt heavy-weight finals against the national masters purple belt champion (he had nearly zero skill but was super strong). He got DQ'ed because he didn't know the rules. To be fair the level of BJJ in our country sucks hard compared to the USA or Brazil. I don't want to compete in masters before I'm super ancient because I don't see the point of competing for medals I don't want (and if I treat it like training why not face the toughest possible opposition).

Im actually surprised there is a masters division. At any given tournament half the dudes in masters could beat the shit out of half the dudes in adults.

See, this is the kind of attitude I think is hilarious. It's just flat out not true, and most likely a way of personally justifying registering for masters, which you shouldn't have to do.

First of all, number of competitors. In most cases the adult division has at least double the amount of competitors, having to win multiple matches just to podium. Most competitors are in the 18-25 range, filled with testosterone and no family obligations. They are in shape, energized, and train like crazy. Even in masters 1, it's a good bet that everyone has a full-time job, injuries, kids, etc. It's really night and day.

I think what you're trying to get at is there are tough people in the masters division. Someone earlier referenced Xande and Lovato Jr. being at masters worlds. OK then, take a look at adult worlds and let me know if you still think masters is as tough. Masters is tough relative to your skill level and commitment to the sport, that's why it exists, but it's not even close to as competitive as the adult division.

Go tell Xande and Saul or megaton that masters are a joke. Lol. Kids nowadays

Yeah, a guy who trains where I do entered a tournament in the master's division last year (two years ago?) and went against Shaolin in his second match.

Yeah, a guy who trains where I do entered a tournament in the master's division last year (two years ago?) and went against Shaolin in his second match.
Apparently that Shaolin guyguy is a serious competitor cuz he's in the Masters division
<{Heymansnicker}>

Masters is tough relative to your skill level and commitment to the sport, that's why it exists, but it's not even close to as competitive as the adult division.

I like that you Qualified your response. You're right. Adults is tougher for Master to compete in. Masters is still tough for Masters. To paraphrase Matthew McConaughey in Dazed and Confused: "That's what I hate about these Adult Worlds Competitors, man. I get older, they stay the same age."

Yeah, that would SUCK! Met Shaolin and is a super nice person.

Masters Division is tough. I don't think anyone is trying to say that Masters is more difficult than Adult. The divisions get easier the higher up in Masters.

Yeah, I think when people talk about how tough Masters is it's not in reference to adult (obviously adult is tougher), it's in reference to people who wrongly think Masters is really easy because it's just old guys playing around. It's guys who generally aren't at the same level of fitness and are past their athletic peak, but it's still very serious competition. It's not exhibition, no one who competes in Masters that I've met takes it lightly.

Might not be as pretigious, but sometimes I think the Masters Division protects the Seniors from the old dudes.

Wanna see panic in a bunch of young guys at a low level comp:
"So....there weren't enough masters anywhere close to his weight, and he traveled far to get here... so we asked him to fight seniors"

.....40 year old in shape former international competitor lays waste to black belt senior division with 30 years experience and old man strength..

When you turn 30, compete at Master 1 to see what it is like. I promise you it won't be as easy as you think.

Tough guys for sure. Been doing Master 2 lately, but when I was a brown belt, one guy I would compete against in Master I tapped the brown belt World no gi champion and Euro no gi champion at adult in a minute or two when we were all brown belts. Guy is a little pit bull.

the beautiful part about getting older is you start caring less and less about what other people think because it really doesnt matter.

I just find the transition from Dad finally trying it out and wondering if he’ll ever get better to hardcore super competitive humble brag guy in less than two years??

Ha no I'd never do that. In fact at recent competition I lost my first and only match and could have still got a bronze but didn't want a participation trophy as it doesn't mean anything

Take them. Especially if they're nice metallic medals. I've got a few of them. They get tied around some shelf in a random corner of the house. They serve as a bit of motivation.

At the very worst, you've got a few very solid coasters. Those medals are awesome as coasters. In fact, competitions should only give out flat, round medals

My issue with the masters divisions is that they start at 30. I tlreally think at least 35 would make more sense. Early 30s are prime years for grapplers; their bodies are still riding their peaks, but they've also had a lot of time to mature.

People approach 30 and think "I'll never do masters," because they think that the old guys are just wimping out. They then say as much to people in their gyms and online. They don't really "get it" yet, since they're still in their prime. Because people see competitors who qualify for Masters 1 winning in adults, they think doing the old guy divisions is just a cop out.

Up until fairly recently, when the big names (this Xande, Saulo et al) got publicity for entering the masters it was probably viewed more as a place for the hobbyist that picked up the sport to compete in on the world stage. No it's kinda a big deal

I just find the transition from Dad finally trying it out and wondering if he’ll ever get better to hardcore super competitive humble brag guy in less than two years??

He's a case study for the hypothesis that BJJ does not in fact kill the ego.

My issue with the masters divisions is that they start at 30. I tlreally think at least 35 would make more sense. Early 30s are prime years for grapplers; their bodies are still riding their peaks, but they've also had a lot of time to mature.

People approach 30 and think "I'll never do masters," because they think that the old guys are just wimping out. They then say as much to people in their gyms and online. They don't really "get it" yet, since they're still in their prime. Because people see competitors who qualify for Masters 1 winning in adults, they think doing the old guy divisions is just a cop out.

I'm just shy of 30 and have been rotting at a desk for the last 8 years. Although I'm not old and I'm in decent shape the lifestyle difference between me and a 20 year old part time community college student is night and day. The idea of mixing it up with people who are more likely to be in a similar stage of life as me sounds more appealing than going against Cobrinha Jr.

Take them. Especially if they're nice metallic medals. I've got a few of them. They get tied around some shelf in a random corner of the house. They serve as a bit of motivation.

At the very worst, you've got a few very solid coasters. Those medals are awesome as coasters. In fact, competitions should only give out flat, round medals

The funny thing is I regretted not getting it as soon as I walked out. I don't know if all IBJJF bronze medals are the same color, but the local IBJJF I competed in had bronze medals that looked gold just not the shiny gold the same as the actual gold medal. Essentially they are the same exact golden hue as other gold medals from local comps. They were really nice looking medal.

I'm just shy of 30 and have been rotting at a desk for the last 8 years. Although I'm not old and I'm in decent shape the lifestyle difference between me and a 20 year old part time community college student is night and day. The idea of mixing it up with people who are more likely to be in a similar stage of life as me sounds more appealing than going against Cobrinha Jr.

You're still young enough that you can get back in shape fairly easily. 30 is the age I quite smoking and stoped eating junk food so much so it was probably the best shape I've ever been in at that age. Better than in my 20s

Go to an Atos or checkmat. Don’t even need to leave your gym yet

Back