Is Conor McGregor the Prince Naseem Hamed of MMA?

Conor reached his mental mountain... two titles. He doesn't have a desire to go further, hence the breaks between fights now. It was fun watching him climb to the top, but I've accepted he will never have the fire in him that led to his rise.
Bingo! What else is there? 7 simultaneous titles? Khabib will never even own two, but do not let that distract you. Conor was turned on for a very, very, very short time, and that is all that we got. It was fun but it was over a long time ago.

OMFG I loved Naseem! He was entertaining as all fck. That's what I pay for.
Who is this kabob guy you speak of?

If you look at the two careers there are eerily similar right after getting exposed Prince Naseem Hamed fell off the map lost motivation and the edge of perceived invincibility... Prince Naseem Hamed became fat out-of-shape Rich spoiled brat who never had another significant fight after getting exposed.... while I believe that Connor will have another significant fight I honestly believe he will lose it no matter who it they put him up against unless it's a total can...and with his trainer making statements about having to be convinced to train him again, this leads me to believe Connor is not taking anything seriously but being a businessman... discuss

Obviously the wiki geniuses and bitter bums will say Naseem is a legend and don’t compare the overrated Mcblah blah blah, but it’s pretty damn close right now.

You could say Kevin Kelly was Chad Mendes, Khabib was Barrera. Or you could say Diaz 1 was the first half of the Kelly fight and Diaz 2 was the second half.

Both tremendous showmen with unique styles that tried to devastate their opponents in the buildup and put them out in the fight.

Also, in their own league when it comes to being conscious of “the show”. A very clear difference between guys like Diaz and Holloway who are comfortable enough to showboat in a fight, and born entertainers who put on a show the instant cameras are on them.

Also the way they had their devoted legion of fans from a smaller country that evolved into an entire U.K. fanbase, and eventually became worldwide phenomenons.

Hopefully the ending is different, but you’re crazy if you didn’t already enjoy the ride, and u think Conor owes anything else or has anything left to prove.

Last edited:
Nas was never the real McCoy though.

He was a poor mans RJJ like Conor is a poor mans Nas.

Conor has never been exposed in mma. His grappling is not as good as Khabibs.

Niether is his striking.
How is his striking better than Conors? It really isn't.

Conor couldn't implement his typical striking showcase die to the constant threat of being taken down the whole fight. By the way, I'm not a massive Conor fan, just saying what I saw.

If you look at the two careers there are eerily similar right after getting exposed Prince Naseem Hamed fell off the map lost motivation and the edge of perceived invincibility... Prince Naseem Hamed became fat out-of-shape Rich spoiled brat who never had another significant fight after getting exposed.... while I believe that Connor will have another significant fight I honestly believe he will lose it no matter who it they put him up against unless it's a total can...and with his trainer making statements about having to be convinced to train him again, this leads me to believe Connor is not taking anything seriously but being a businessman... discuss
I like this topic and is something I have given thought to.

then you say a boxing match that was completely irrelevant to his downfall. great
There was mystique around Connor even after Nate turned him into a panic wrestler. His uneducated true believers could still believe he had "the best striking in MMA" or "elite-level pro boxing" and he was still hungry and cared about his legacy. That mystique allowed his true believers to somehow conflate the Diaz rematch into a "dominating performance" when it easily could have been scored a draw.

Enter the Mayweather debacle, getting stripped of his FW belt, getting tooled by an older, smaller fighter. But the upside was life-changing money, and that's what is responsible for the biggest change in his career. He could easily have defended the LW belt, but there wasn't a lot of incentive, because the risk/reward ratio looks like shit when you've pocketed 30m+ and they're now offering you 10.

His transition into other areas of passive income--his trash whiskey, for example--and then his escalating scale of shit life choices: his bromance with douchey hoodlums and then the foolish attack on the bus; I take them as signs that he's lost his focus. He doesn't have a clear goal to devote 100% of his efforts to. He's got a toddler, and if he's even half a father, that takes a huge amount of time and effort, in and of itself.

But for me, the Floyd fight made his dream of wealth reality, and there isn't anything left to drive him. I think he's a loss away from retirement. I actually hope I'm wrong, he can be an exciting fighter.

But I don't think Khabib changed anything about him. If anything, it could provide a new target for him to aim 100% of himself toward. But I think there are too many distractions for that now.

All these excuses about his motivation and not being focused were no where to be seen when people said he was roasting Khabib in the press conference. His power and speed meant nothing when he gets tired like he did when he fought Nate in both fights and this time against Khabib he had no success early because of the early TD of Khabib but people want to chalk it up to ring rust and Conor not being into it even when he was talking mad shit. All of a sudden Conor's words before the fight don't mean anything when before they were taken as gospel by his fans when he was winning. The amounts of excuses he gets after every loss is ridiculous and biased.

it's just hilarious.

even his own coach is acting like Conor has lost a step before fighting Khabib.

"he was hit with a punch by Khabib that he has never been hit with before in his entire career, even Superman slows down"

uhh no. Superman doesn't slow down and he was never hit with a punch like the one Khabib hit him with because HE HAS NEVER FOUGHT SOMEONE LIKE KHABIB BEFORE.

Kavanagh is such a scum it's unreal.

I see the connection, but i don't think so. Naseem was truly great, Conor is a hype job.
i like prince naseem but he fought a lot of bums and mediocre fighters. his best wins are what, augie sanchez and kevin kelley? naseem's belt was basically as good as conor's cage warriors belts.
He never defended his CW belts either. Or any belt.

Lol....who gives a shit idiot? Ur dumb bro
giphy.gif

#roasted

I see the connection, but i don't think so. Naseem was truly great, Conor is a hype job.
He never defended his CW belts either. Or any belt.
i don't personally give a shit about belt defenses but that's fair. the idea that conor is a hype job is absurd though. he decimated poirier, aldo, and alvarez with ease. he's one of the best of this era whether we like it or not.

Naseem defended titles, Conor didn't and it's possible he may never.

Conor's hunger diminished when he became super rich, Naseem's hunger completely went when he suffered his 1st loss lol totally different scenario

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back