Opinion Is curing patients a sustainable business model?

Simply not true. Early humans could live healthy for a long time. Trauma was the killer. That and birthing babies. Throw out infant mortality and death due to some type of trauma and the average life span would easily double. Do that today and it might add 5-10%.

Do you know of any sites or studies with evidence of how early humans could live into their 70s so long as something didn't physically take them out? I'd be really interested in reading something controlled along those lines.

From my knowledge, once in a while someone like a king would make it to 50, but that was about it and they were the only ones to make it ever past 40. The life cycle was basically only long enough for a mother to raise their children to their own child birthing ages

Do you know of any sites or studies with evidence of how early humans could live into their 70s so long as something didn't physically take them out? I'd be really interested in reading something controlled along those lines.

From my knowledge, once in a while someone like a king would make it to 50, but that was about it and they were the only ones to make it ever past 40. The life cycle was basically only long enough for a mother to raise their children to their own child birthing ages

Sure some people live to a very old age but that was only some people.

It was not just birth and child deaths that brought down numbers it was also all the other medical conditions that brought the numbers down.

Now we have more people living longer and healthier lives then ever before.

So yes small numbers of people lived into their 70 or more in the past but that's just it small numbers of them.

When you get into averages you see the numbers.

As to the op sure it is until we live as long as we want in perfect health there will always be money to be made.

I became interested in this and did a bunch of research once. You need to find statistics on life expectancy at 25 or 30 years old instead of life expectancy at birth. Life expectancy at birth statistics are skewed by all those that die from childbirth, childhood disease, genetic abnormalities, etc. If you lived to your 20’s, you were likely to be as long-lived as a human born today.

Also very interesting were some of the statistics on health and longevity of “primitive” cultures.

This question is not mine as I find it repulsive, but Goldman Sachs wants to know.

"Is curing patients a sustainable business model?" analysts ask in an April 10 report entitled "The Genome Revolution."
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/11/goldman-asks-is-curing-patients-a-sustainable-business-model.html
I go to the dentist once every 10 years and my teeth are perfect and i brush daily.

Dentist Doctors Therapists, etc only are in business because they tell you that you need to see them. My mom pays $40 for a 10 minute chiropracter visit.

Truth hurts more than the non existant pain of healthcare

I'll say both yes and no. It depends on the definition of what a cure is. An example that comes to mind is cancer treatment cures. What you consider a cure for cancer is likely much different from what the medical field considers a cancer cure.

Sorry for the delayed response. I have limited my Sherdog time to only when it is slow at work.

I tried to find an article that wasn't from a biased "primal living" site. This article hints at what I am talking about. Basically if they are saying life expectancy at birth is 35, then for every infant that dies someone had to live to 70. But as you would guess, at this point in the research it all a bunch of well educated guesses.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/longevity-throughout-history-2224054

Yes. As long as the population continues to exist. You simply increase the price for cures to approximate the lifelong cost for treatment, maybe with a premium.

We never used to need potions to live way back in the day. You know, when someone living into their 40s became the village elder

lol

It's such a crazy talking point. Probably everyone here has great grandparents that died in their sixties. The world average life expectancy has climbed from 48 years old to 70 years old in barely more than half a century.

lol

ItThe world average life expectancy has climbed from 48 years old to 70 years old in barely more than half a century.

We all know that this is due to "modern" medicine. But the trick is how. Do you feel that 22 year jump is due to curing unhealthy adults OR is it due to less deaths during delivery?

https://populationeducation.org/life-span-vs-life-expectancy/

Sometimes, when we tell kids “the life expectancy was 48 in 1900,” they think that means that at age 48, people were old and decrepit instead of understanding that 48 was an average, and the high child mortality brought that average way down. Consider the example of our Founding Fathers. When they were born in the 18th century, life expectancy was below 40. Yet the average lifespan of the 56 signers to the Declaration of Independence was 66 years, and a quarter of them (including Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, and Ben Franklin) lived to 80 or older.

I go to the dentist once every 10 years and my teeth are perfect and i brush daily.

Dentist Doctors Therapists, etc only are in business because they tell you that you need to see them. My mom pays $40 for a 10 minute chiropracter visit.

Truth hurts more than the non existant pain of healthcare

Unless you do actually have something wrong with you. Yeah healthy people don't need a doctor

We never used to need potions to live way back in the day. You know, when someone living into their 40s became the village elder

Life expectancy grew mostly because newborn/child deaths drops. There were old people way back lol to think everyone died in their 40s lol you simply looked up life expectancy without not understanding newborn/child deaths impact

Clean water, food and toilet is a lot more responsible for current life expectancy than medicine.

Can't believe people actually believed humans only made past theirs 40s lol

Back