Is Dominick Reyes The Next Big Thing @ 205?

Arkridge

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Dominick "The Devastator" Reyes. 9-0 (3-0) UFC. All fights inside of the Octagon have been finishes thus far. Big, big 205er. Stands at 6'4, former D1 football player that had a few stints in NFL training camps before washing out and giving MMA a try.

Now he's sitting just outside the top 15 of the UFC's most talent starved division and man, he's looking like a future title contender if you ask me. He called out Jordan Johnson post fight. I'm luke warm on that fight. Johnson is also 9-0 but he's had a very boring start to his UFC Career. No finishes and each fight more lackluster than the one before it.

BUT, Johnson is currently holding that #15 spot. A win over him will definitely get Reyes in the top 15 and into a fight with a LHW veteran that will really put him on the map. Either way, I'm excited for the guy's future in the sport. One of the few prospects in that weight class that has me hopeful.

DefensiveDelayedGander-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

I liked what I saw on Saturday. He's got some serious power. I'd like to see him on the ground though.

I liked what I saw on Saturday. He's got some serious power. I'd like to see him on the ground though.
Same. I need to see him against someone who'll use a wrestling heavy gameplan.

My only concern his he will get pushed too fast due to the shitty division

His grappling looked okay from what I saw when he fought Jeremy Kimball. Sunk in a RNC pretty effortlessly but that was likely greatly due to the crazy GNP he was dropping leading up to it. Dude can generate insane power from anywhere.

My only concern his he will get pushed too fast due to the shitty division
My concern as well. LHW is so shallow he can find himself fighting top 5 competition within 3 fights or so. That would be way too soon but its like, who the hell else is there??

This dude has the power to put out anybody at 205 and it seems like he’s got a chin on him. I’ve been impressed with him since his debut.

BUT,

His grappling is a total question mark.
I’m just happy there’s an exciting up and coming LHW. LHW is absolutely garbage. The division desperately needed this. I’m a fan so I’m hoping he keeps it up.

My concern as well. LHW is so shallow he can find himself fighting top 5 competition within 3 fights or so. That would be way too soon but its like, who the hell else is there??

Someone in another thread today said 1 more fight then title shot for him lmao. Slowwwwwww down!

He looks good. I'd like to see him fight a Gian Villante level guy next, then step up to the top 10 if he can pass that test.

His chin seems to be out there and available to be hit, but his offense is so potent and he's so aggressive, good luck tagging him without getting wrecked.

I can see that as well. It'll be like Volkan all over again. But like you said, what else is there to do?

205 is such a mess that he is a big thing now and the next big thing is under 25 years old and/or not in the ufc

Too bad there are no wrestlers in 205, except DC and Latifi.

Dominick "The Devastator" Reyes. 9-0 (3-0) UFC. All fights inside of the Octagon have been finishes thus far. Big, big 205er. Stands at 6'4, former D1 football player that had a few stints in NFL training camps before washing out and giving MMA a try.

Now he's sitting just outside the top 15 of the UFC's most talent starved division and man, he's looking like a future title contender if you ask me. He called out Jordan Johnson post fight. I'm luke warm on that fight. Johnson is also 9-0 but he's had a very boring start to his UFC Career. No finishes and each fight more lackluster than the one before it.

BUT, Johnson is currently holding that #15 spot. A win over him will definitely get Reyes in the top 15 and into a fight with a LHW veteran that will really put him on the map. Either way, I'm excited for the guy's future in the sport. One of the few prospects in that weight class that has me hopeful.

DefensiveDelayedGander-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif
Yes. I was there at that LFA fight and knew he would be legit. I told people to be on the lookout for him this weekend.

205 is already a graveyard. Time for Reyes to stomp some light heavyweight zombies then.

There is pretty much no one else up and coming at LHW so I guess so

The Division is wide open, the current Champ will be done in less than a year and he might not even return for a last fight at LHW. Jones might get a ban that will end his career, Glover is 38, Blachowiz 35, Latifi 34, Shogun 36 and OSP 35.

Man, I hope so. LHW is on life support right now.

Good, LHW needs new blood.

Can't even remember that last important fight I saw at LHW.
Or how many good ones the division had this year.

Back