Is ESPN committing suicide?

ralphc1

Titanium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
ESPN seems to be going through some severe mismanagement. They've lost many of their personalities and ruined the most popular show they had, Mike & Mike by splitting the hosts and airing them opposite of each other. They spent a large amount of money on the new show that Greenberg is on, taking months to get it on the air. Meanwhile they teamed Golic with Trey Wingo though every time I've watched, one or both are not on the show.

ESPN also took over the Formula One broadcast but decided to go the cheap route of just broadcasting the F1 coverage without using their own announcers and doing any video editing. They break the coverage for commercials then there are no replays or explanation of what happened during the breaks and it seems like something happened every time they broke in for a commercial.
They have some of the coverage on ESPN3, some on ESPN news and some on ESPN.

It seems strange that the network that pioneered sports broadcasting could lose it's way.

Nobody gives a shit about either mike, ghey wingo or formula 1. If they’re committing suicide it’s via all the liberal/political shit they push all the time. People watch sports networks for sports not politics. This is coming from someone who’s liberal too.

Dave Rubin a political podcast guy was on Rogan's podcast around the last presidential election and noted people are pissed at ESPN and other sports shit cause every time you turn it on they're blabbing about politics.

That's what's killing ESPN.

Nobody gives a shit about either mike, ghey wingo or formula 1. If they’re committing suicide it’s via all the liberal/political shit they push all the time. People watch sports networks for sports not politics. This is coming from someone who’s liberal too.

Every sports network is addressing the same issues as it has been pushed into sports by players and fans. There is no way to avoid it.

They're burying themselves and good fucking riddance

Can't commit suicide when you're already dead.

Every sports network is addressing the same issues as it has been pushed into sports by players and fans. There is no way to avoid it.

Sport specific networks like MLBN and NFL network are much better at focusing on sports and highlights.

ESPN knows whats up. We need more stuff like ultra left black activist Carrie Champion taking car rides with Lebron and Durant and them talking about how hard they have it in life.

Greenberg is a feminine douchebag. He wanted to leave because he sees himself as bigger than just "sports" at this point. He wants to be on something like Good Morning America at some point. He looks at this new show as an audition for that.

BOOM

Exactly.

its a dead network.
too much politics, not enough sports.

yes, they've butchered coverage of F1 but their coverage of the Masters has been shitty too. and it's awesome that they have 12 straight hours of World Series of Poker over the weekend.

good riddance IMO

I'm old enough to have been around when ESPN started in 1979. Prior to that people had to wait for the local evening news or read about sports the next day in the newspaper. Maybe hope something would be on ABC's Wide World of Sports on Saturday. It was great being able to turn it on and get the latest scores on the ticker and more in depth coverage. They also covered sports that the local stations didn't have time for in their 7 minute sports reports. ESPN covered more college football and basketball than the major networks. Racing was what I enjoyed the most.

The internet has removed sports news from the equation as everything is available almost instantaneously from many sources. Instead of reporting on what is happening they have discuss why it happened and how it impacts the sport.

mostly true IMO.
but with the virtual vacuum created by social media, espn began to accent their
programming with political opinion and editorial content. It was a big gamble IMO and one that never paid off. viewers can choose from actual news outlets for bias this way or that.
a sports network should just cover sports without a different agenda.

Not to mention is manufactured corporate outrage/takes/opinions/insight. Mike & Mike was to sport radio, what cheese Whiz is to real cheese.

It's sad man. I grew up loving ESPN, I would watch sports-center 3 times in a row as kid instead of watching cartoons. Now you can't go online without hearing about social injustices, Kaep, kill whitey.... ESPN ran itself into the ground (#'s back this up).

It's sad man. I grew up loving ESPN, I would watch sports-center 3 times in a row as kid instead of watching cartoons. Now you can't go online without hearing about social injustices, Kaep, kill whitey.... ESPN ran itself into the ground (#'s back this up).

loved the mid 90's sportscenter commercials.

stopped watching espn in 99 or 2000.

loved the mid 90's sportscenter commercials.

stopped watching espn in 99 or 2000.

As a kid I had the espn watch and the free t-shirts. I was a walking tool.

I agree with basically everything posted here. One thing I would add is the manufactured controversy that took off with First Take. Dumb opinions being shouted is irritating television. There is far better sports talk on a karate forum than on ESPN; the opinions on here are more interesting, better informed, and more clearly articulated. How is that possible?

Back