Is Frank Dux legit?

Dude he holds the record for fastest kick with a knockout (70 mph) in the kumite. You can’t just make that up.

Obviously they had radar guns pointed at the fighters’ legs constantly.

What about the Kumite tourney in Hong Kong? Was that real at least?

Organized crime has had its hand in boxing for decades. Id be surprised if they did not try and pull something more no holds barred especially in countries that lax regulations.

While there was an early MMA-esque tournament in Hong Kong in 1981, Frank Dux did not compete in it. I do not know who won, but it doesn't match his description of the Kumite tournaments. Here is some footage from it:

Much different than the untelevised, bare knuckle, ever changing platforms that he described haha

While there was an early MMA-esque tournament in Hong Kong in 1981, Frank Dux did not compete in it. I do not know who won, but it doesn't match his description of the Kumite tournaments. Here is some footage from it:

Much different than the untelevised, bare knuckle, ever changing platforms that he described haha

that is awesome, there was some GNP too, but was that allowed? Looks like RVC knew guard. He should have done better in UFC. The Gracie should have competed in this, and they definitely should have marketed this tourney more.

is it not possible Frank did compete in this event, but just embellished like cray?

fuck me, i remember watching this when i was a kid. there was another one i remember, they fought in gi with a weird head guard that had a visor. it was full contact that included ground fighting, i remember lots of flying headbutts and arm bars. anybody else remember it?

Legit or not, without him we'd be deprived of perhaps the greatest movie ever made.

Not sure if it was the same 80s Hong Kong kumite that got close to MMA, but one I found online 5 or so years ago had a random Croatian guy winning. I googled his name and the internet had nothing on him besides that video and possibly a personal facebook page.

He won the Kumite didn't he? Of course he was legit. He even beat that chinese guy with the giant pecks. GOAT

fuck me, i remember watching this when i was a kid. there was another one i remember, they fought in gi with a weird head guard that had a visor. it was full contact that included ground fighting, i remember lots of flying headbutts and arm bars. anybody else remember it?
I belivbe that is kudo or daido juku.

Yeah man, he’s about as legitimate as you would expect a super secret special ops/ CIA agent, world underground no holds barred karate champion, master ninja from the 80’s would be.

you win the best comment of the year award dude. So logical and so funny at the same time. lol

technology and the internet has put an end to that kind of stuff, but man "i love the 80s!" lol

YOu mean Daido Juku? That is still going on

What about the Kumite tourney in Hong Kong? Was that real at least?

Organized crime has had its hand in boxing for decades. Id be surprised if they did not try and pull something more no holds barred especially in countries that lax regulations.

Frank Dux is not a real fighter he created this story for a neighborhood newspaper, but history has taken giant proportions.
He was increasing the story more and more until leaving in the newspapers. Soon afterwards he wrote a book (The Secret Man: An American Warrior's Uncensored Story) with a complete history of what this tournament would have been.

But the same never existed. His teacher Senzo Tanaka never existed.

According to the Los Angeles Times, the organization that allegedly staged the Kumite had the same address as Dux's house, and the trophy he claims to have won was bought by him at a local trophy store

A was already forgetting Kokuryukai also never existed.

"The Black Dragon Society" (Japanese transliterated: Kokuryukai), which was a prominent paramilitary, ultra-nationalist right-wing Japanese organization.

He's got nothing on Jason Blaha, aka our boy Hemingway.

It's hilarious that this same topic still gets posted occasionally. I remember reading the "Bullshido" page at what seems like over a decade ago on this topic here at Sherdog. It is pretty well known that Dux was a fraud. I can't believe people still don't know this, especially Sherdoggers with 2010 join dates. I think my first account was around 2006 or so. And lol @ the guy who brought up Zane Frazier, who , legend has it, knocked out Dux in the lobby of a karate tournament, if I remember correctly. I am so glad the murky days of TMA are behind us. Now, shit gets tested or it gets tossed. I sound old. Get off my lawn.

Back