Is George Clooney the worst Batman? | Page 3

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by WildMan, Jan 11, 2018.

1. RollSonnenRoll 1998 Cannonball Champion of Spring Break

RollSonnenRoll
    Imagine Schumacher pitching that storyboard to the producers

"This is gonna be one of the benchmark scenes of the movie. A show stealer that'll be remembered for years to come when Ivy makes her grand entrance"
    "Nice. So she'll come out of some giant, exotic looking plant right?"
    "No, we're gonna put her in a purple fluffy gorilla costume that she'll strip out of"
    "...ok. Then she'll have some crazy hot costume on?"
    "Actually she'll be damn near fully clothed and covered"
    "Hmmm. She'll at least have a sexual aura to her though?"
    "I was thinking we'd make her do really awkward choreography and be stiff as a board. She'll wink though."
    "......Do I still have Burton's number"

2. Cint Risen

Cint
    splendica likes this.
  3. RollSonnenRoll 1998 Cannonball Champion of Spring Break

RollSonnenRoll
    I appreciate the fact that Kilmer at least looked like he lifted a little bit of weights to get in shape for the role which Keaton and Clooney just took as a suggestion.

[​IMG]

Keaton was the most believable though as a man who had truly nothing of joy in his life though and is my favorite.

4. esum80 tiger knee

esum80
    it's safe to say that both schumacher directed batman movies were trash.

robertcop2 and LuchaBear like this.
  5. Amerikuracana Titanium Belt

Amerikuracana
    They should have given Eddie Murphy a shot there.

6. GearSolidMetal I'm here to chew bubblegum and bang your mom.

GearSolidMetal
    I consider Clooney to be one of the worst and overrated actors in the history of Hollywood, and the only reasons he gets roles is because of his charm and politics.

He doesn't act, he plays himself in every role, and he doesn't take roles outside of how he is in reality.

BUT, this quote above, gains him a few respect points. He took a role that was outside of how he is in reality, and he bombed it. From then on he exclusively took charming roles that were written for him in mind.

7. GearSolidMetal I'm here to chew bubblegum and bang your mom.

GearSolidMetal
    I consider Clooney to be one of the worst and overrated actors in the history of Hollywood, and the only reasons he gets roles is because of his charm and politics.

He doesn't act, he plays himself in every role, and he doesn't take roles outside of how he is in reality.

BUT, this quote above, gains him a few respect points. He took a role that was outside of how he is in reality, and he bombed it. From then on he exclusively took charming roles that were written for him in mind.

8. RollSonnenRoll 1998 Cannonball Champion of Spring Break

RollSonnenRoll
    I can't figure out if Batman Forever is solid just because Batman & Robin came afterwards. Like if there was no Batman & Robin would we say that Batman Forever destroyed the franchise? I like the movie but I also look it at through nostalgia glasses because I was a kid when it came out and it was one of the first big blockbuster movies that I can remember being excited for. I also had the soundtrack as one of my first CDs. So I look at as fun, over the top comic book film while Batman and Robin is just trash that can't even be "so bad it's good" enjoyed.

robertcop2 likes this.
  9. ookii Brown Belt

ookii
    Batman & Robin destroyed careers and only Clooney came unscathed. Uma didn't do much except for Kill Bill

KnightTemplar likes this.
  10. Prefect Brown Belt

Prefect
    I think he played it how it was supposed to be played. Really really campy. Adam West was great at campy Batman because he thought it was all a joke as well. I don't think it is the worst of the bunch. Batman 2 was equally forgettable but just not campy.

11. jgarner Red Belt

jgarner
    Yeah, but in all fairness it seems like the majority of great Hollywood actors sort of insert their own personality in all their roles.

12. esum80 tiger knee

esum80
    i feel like they took the darkness in the two burton films out of it and turned it into a caricature of itself. they tried to mix humor into it the way the current DCU is trying so hard to do and it just doesn't work. the campiness worked in the adam west tv version of batman but on screen (i speak for myself at the very least) not a lot of people want to see that shit.

13. RollSonnenRoll 1998 Cannonball Champion of Spring Break

RollSonnenRoll
    Well Returns scared off the parents with the disturbing Penguin origin and child Holocaust plan as well as Catwoman being a sexual BDSM lightning rod. So Forever gets contemporary A list stars, sprinkles pop music throughout the movie and turns up the humor. It is essentially a marketing machine instead of a movie.

shinobimusashi likes this.
  14. GearSolidMetal I'm here to chew bubblegum and bang your mom.

GearSolidMetal
    One actor that hasn't been mentioned, by name, in this thread is Ben Affleck.

When he was announced to be the next Batman, the entire internet burst into rage saying he was going to be horrible.

His name not being mentioned yet is a way to say 'he wasn't the best and he wasn't the worst.' I maintain he is ONE of the best.

Its tricky to discuss the various performances of the character because each was a different version of the character. Affleck's Batman in BvS is ruthless and brutal, without the 'rules' that every other cinematic version of Batman had. Add to that the exposition scene that explained the Wayne family initially became wealthy from trading animal pelts in the 1800s - they were hunters - was valuable background into that Batman's character.

IMHO, Affleck's Batman performance was every bit as good as Keaton's, but since BvS wasn't nearly as good as the original's 1989 release, his performance was lost in the other mediocre aspects of that film.

Loiosh, KnightTemplar, Pepper and 3 others like this.
  15. esum80 tiger knee

esum80
    i actually didn't mind affleck as batman but he did have pretty big shoes to fill after the nolan/bale batman universe.

GearSolidMetal likes this.
  16. Strange King Strange Music

Strange King
    No he is the victim of a horrible movie so in those terms maybe but he did want the director and script asked of him

17. RandyTrevor Hear me talkin' to you?

RandyTrevor
    that's wicked progressive.

shinobimusashi likes this.
  18. UFC=Pride Brown Belt

UFC=Pride
    I'd say so

19. TheWorm Black Belt

TheWorm
    I think a lot of people were shocked at how not shitty Affleck was as Bruce Wayne and Batman.

Mike and GearSolidMetal like this.
  20. usmctanker242 Black Belt

usmctanker242
    I think it plays more to the reality that most people didn't even know he played Batman or that another Batman movie had been made. I don't think it's wrong to suggest that many people were satisfied with the Dark Knight Trilogy as being the quintessential Batman movies and this new stuff almost doesn't exist.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Urban Youth and GearSolidMetal like this.