Is Giorgio Petrosyan still the best kickboxer in his weight class right now?

Danis_champ

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
His latest fight:

Where is Alfio Romanut in his corner? I remember the guy being is head coach for years.
Petro was at this best 2009-2010 imo when he won K-1 Max. Watching this fight it looks like he has lost some speed and sharpness. Hands are lazier too. Allazov hit him with clean shots. years ago I doubt Petro would have been touched at all. But I might be wrong. He is 12-0 since he lost to Andy Ristie. He is still only 32. What do you think?

Sittichai right now has a better claim I would say.

Goat of kickboxing no doubt .

You can't really say that. He is undoubtedly the best 70 kg in late K-1/ post K-1 era, but that is very much the point.
He ruled the division when the 70 division was very fractured and the best no longer fought the best on regular basis.

The heavyweight fighters in the golden era of K-1 have much better claim imo. Hoost, Aerts even Schilt, pick your poison.

Arguably. I'd put a win against Chingiz over Sittichai's last 10 fights.

I think he had a bad case of nerves against a tough cookie Chingiz. I don't think he has been clear cut best in some time but still top 3 id say.
But I do think that Petrosyan has... regressed? I get the feeling he just doesn't have the gas tank to fight the way he used to. We get flashes of it during fights.
He is getting the job done for now. Id say old man Petrosyan will still be competitive with the top Thais in kickboxing for years to come.

100%

I always tell people to watch him if they want to learn kickboxing. Everything he does is perfect technique. Amazing fight IQ. Calm and calculated. A real tactician.

Depends. Do you mean "Kickboxer" as in regular kickboxing rules, K-1 rules, Glory rules or the non-gimped full MuayThai rules?

197237.jpg

Glory 70KG champ vs 2017 Kunlun world Max Tournament Champ. The winner is the best 70KG stand up fighter in the world.

Giorgio is still top 5 without a doubt.

Sitthichai’s strength of schedule takes it for me. I think he’s the best in the world right now. Not a kickboxing expert, very much a newbie, but I’ve watched almost all of his fights over the last four years and he seems to be on top, for the moment at least.

I'll echo the sentiments here
Sitthichai is the most dominant guy in the division but Petro beating Allazov and the way he did it proves he's still up there

197237.jpg

Glory 70KG champ vs 2017 Kunlun world Max Tournament Champ. The winner is the best 70KG stand up fighter in the world.

Giorgio is still top 5 without a doubt.
Sittichai already beat him 3 times tho. A win for Sittichai does nothing for him, a win for Grigorian puts Petro at #1 IMO.

Sittichai already beat him 3 times tho. A win for Sittichai does nothing for him, a win for Grigorian puts Petro at #1 IMO.
Grigorian knocked Superbon out last year. Superbon is the last man with a victory over Sittichai in 2016... But I don't disagree with you. We can put it that way also.

Grigorian knocked Superbon out last year. Superbon is the last man with a victory over Sittichai in 2016... But I don't disagree with you. We can put it that way also.
Fair point, I don't disagree with Marat getting the shot, there really isn't anyone else in Glory as deserving. I just look at Sittichai vs Petro in regards to recent accomplishments, and while Petro has been blamed for ducking high level competition, I'd put his win over Chingiz higher than yet another Sittichai win over Marat as well as his other opponents in 10 or so fights.

Back