Is GSP's best win Jake Shields?

No.

I rank BJ (at the time), Kos, Fitch and definatly Hughes higher. Hughes won 11 (?) title fights when he fought GSP, only losing to BJ. Kos was 9-1 and a huge prospect when he first lost to GSP, and Fitch was on a 16!! fight win-streak.

I looked it up and Shields was on a 15 fight streak as well, he's up there, but for me Hughes is his biggest win.

Prime Penn due to his dominance...

Jake is a very under rated fighter.

Hughes is his best win.

Jake is his second best win, though.

No one is as under rated on this forum as Jake Shields.

Solid win. GSP had lots of solid wins along the way. Beating prime Hughes for his first title was probably his biggest fight when you really think of the challenge and importance (first belt). By the time GSP was fighting Shields he was already being considered one of the top 3 or 5 MMM fighters of all-time.

I always considered Fitch his "best" win in that he massively out-wrestled a guy who many thought had the wrestling advantage going into the fight. IMO the Fitch demolition is what cemented GSP as the best wrestler in MMA.

He definitely had other important wins though.

The jab-led destruction of Koschek was a big one because at the time GSP was taking a lot of heat for only being able to wrestle and win fights with GnP on points but he out-boxed Josh big-time for 5 rounds.

Of course beating Hughes for the title was huge.

The Serra rematch--in Montreal, setting the attendance record at the time--was a big comeback fight with him coming off his first (and only) KO loss.

Oddly, the loss to Serra might be the most important result in his career--that was the turning point where he decided he'd never underestimate an opponent or enter the octagon without having all phases of his game polished and ready to go...something he admitted to doing for the 1st Serra fight.

Shields was a big one in that he faced early adversity (that knuckle to the eye) for the first time in a long time and lost his first round in for-freakin'-ever but still came back to win big.

hughes penn fitch sherk and condit were all bigger wins at the time they happened but it was impressive to watch gsp beat the guy who had recently beaten dan henderson a weight class up without giving up a single takedown (even though he did take about 40 savage eye pokes lol)

GSP is the GOAT. Dominated three generations of WW without having a significant size advantage over anyone. He was the smaller man in a lot of his fights too.

All the guys he beat he fought in their primes. Never ducked a contender. His record is filled with legit names.

Alves
Prime BJ x2
Condit
Prime Fitch
Prime Koscheck x 2
Prime Hughes x 2
Shields
Nick Diaz
Hendricks (iffy)
Sherk
Trigg
Miller
Hardy

Hughes is top 10 p4p all time, so that's a big win. But Shields was successful at MW and holds wins over more dangerous opponents than Hughes, so I'd say: yes.

Prime Kos, Hughes, Fitch. Shields is up there, too. Of course, Fitch recently beat Shields, so I don't think Shields was any more significant. Outside of the GSP fight, Shields went 4-2 in the UFC, so he wasn't as dominant as some of the others (particularly Hughes and Fitch).

but it was impressive to watch gsp beat the guy who had recently beaten dan henderson a weight class up without giving up a single takedown (even though he did take about 40 savage eye pokes lol)

He beat Shields who had recently beaten Hendo who had recently beaten Fedor.:D

Condit is a better win

The fights after proved that he was still in his prime and that he was a top fighter

Prime Kos, Hughes, Fitch. Shields is up there, too. Of course, Fitch recently beat Shields, so I don't think Shields was any more significant. Outside of the GSP fight, Shields went 4-2 in the UFC, so he wasn't as dominant as some of the others (particularly Hughes and Fitch).
Agreed .... Plus kampmann and Woodley fights were really close

What about his victory in Paleontology?!

We all knew that Jesus roamed the earth at the same time as the dinosaurs.

But GSP theorized and proved that Jesus rode them as well!

Back