Is it common to lose a competitive will already at 29?

to answer your question, no it's not uncommon to lose a competitive edge or motivation throughout training, obviously there are road bumps, I would suggest either taking time off or trying something new to respark the flame.

I don’t think it’s a competitive edge you are losing. Sounds like you are just demotivated because you may be understanding where you actually stand in the totem pole.. And it’s so low that “what’s the point” is the thought that goes through your head.

Seen it time and time again, especially with folks who are new but have been consistently training for a couple months

I don’t think it’s a competitive edge you are losing. Sounds like you are just demotivated because you may be understanding where you actually stand in the totem pole.. And it’s so low that “what’s the point” is the thought that goes through your head.

Seen it time and time again, especially with folks who are new to actual full contact training

The only time I've seen that is when someone has been on the sidelines for more then a month, their was one guy I use to train with. He was one of the best in the gym, but then one guy injured his leg in sparring, he tried to train as much as possible with it, but then just stopped after the instructor left the gym and he went with him. I heard he was getting out of shape, and that he wasn't training as much anymore.

Obviously spacetime didn't have an injury, but he's just losing motivation because of a guy whose beating him up in sparring, he should think of it as a motivation to get better. You got be strong minded. So if he wants to get his motivation back, then he should try learning from his mistakes, and try having a different mentality. Don't worry spacetime, you'll get him back. Just keep training and improving.

to answer your question, no it's not uncommon to lose a competitive edge or motivation throughout training, obviously there are road bumps, I would suggest either taking time off or trying something new to respark the flame.

I haven't lost the passion for training, it's the sparring only. Is that common? I just don't care for it anymore. I don't feeling competitive.

I haven't lost the passion for training, it's the sparring only. Is that common? I just don't care for it anymore. I don't feeling competitive.

Look mr. Mental Age of 15 year old, let me ask you this, do you want to spar? Do you want to be a fighter? Or do you want to just get beaten up all the time?

Sparring is THE most important aspect of training.

I have done both. Have you?
Yes. I got stabbed in an altercation less than a month ago. Sparring and fighting might be drastically different but what other aspect of martial arts training even comes close?

Yes. I got stabbed in an altercation less than a month ago. Sparring and fighting might be drastically different but what other aspect of martial arts training even comes close?

Sorry to hear that. None. Training realistically and being in condition is more important IMO. I got in an altercation recently with a trained dude who'm I walked back and faced, and If I had 80% confidence of taking care of him inactive for two-three months, I would have 95% confidence while training.

I have serious motivational problems sparring. I still enjoy the training but I just don't care about the outcome and my mind isn't 100% focused. Holding back a lot.... Never get into it. Trying and pushing myself but my mind is elsewhere. I also hate facing young guys who are so much more energetic and motivated. Feels like fighting father time already.

I'm curious if you guys think this is due to testosterone dumps pushing 30 or if it's purely psychological?

I was a competitive beast as a teen and young adult. Basically a shadow of that these days.

I like sparring it's the other shit I find boring. I have other shit to do. At least that's what I tell myself.

I'm 32, is it time to cancel my gym membership and start looking for a decent cemetery?

Back