Is it inevitable China and the U.S. will get into a war?

I can tell Mongolian lineage I was just being a smart ass with his defense of his races "supposed" upcoming superiority.

Where did I state my racial superiority? That's quite the accusation there.

If anything you're the one bringing race into this, with myself and that other poster as well. Sound to me like you may some deep seated bias against asians, should get that checked out.

But they're on the upward trend again, which I've detailed here with evidence and links, as did V-2.

Promoting willfull ignorance and idiocracy is a disservice to your nation and lowers the collective intelligence and capabillity of the population. A true patriot understands the threat, a true patriot educates himself on the topic.

Hey man, it's all respect.

I personally find Xi Jinping to be pretty abhorrent, but I have reluctant respect for his intellect and the STEM background doesn't hurt. He has complete control over that country and is wildly competent at both running it and achieving the objectives he puts forth, even if some of those objectives are downright Orwellian. In terms of science and technology, Xi has drastically overhauled their structure and focus, redirected funding to areas which allow them to realistically compete and eventually overtake the United States. China is now an innovator, not merely a development research pit. They're doing a lot of fundamental and applied, with impressive feats.

I view the PRC on the whole as being a superior adversary to the former USSR but the reason it isn't directly comparable is far less to do with capability but the fact that the economies of the US and China are interdependent in ways the Soviet Union never was or ever would've been. I don't necessarily view it as being a zero-sum game, but the way China's alliances shake out could complicate matters, not to mention their quite entitled view on dominion over the Indo-Pacific. The insanely ambitious OBOR initiative is already ruffling the wrong feathers and the comments from James Mattis were telling in a 'wink-wink' kind of way.

People can be in denial all they want in the face of the mountain of data, reports and articles published, can ignore our own NSF director flat out saying the PRC is closing in to loosen America's grip over global S&T leadership but it's demonstrably happening nonetheless, far more abruptly than anyone anticipated and one of the big advantages they operate on is the comparative lack of regulatory obstacles and ethical practices. There is no one within the scientific community underestimating China or what they're up to. The challenge is with our government and the wider public.

On the contrary, the US has stagnated with inconsistent funding and there's still big issues in China with academic fraud and misuse of research grants despite a heavy crackdown effort under Xi; scientists there are also fixated with numerical output. The PRC could take the lead in both R&D expenditure and total output whilst actually remaining behind the US in high-impact quality. The Nature Index (12-month rolling window) paints a bit of different picture and is based only on the biggest HIJ's with the largest citation factors.

Nature.png

I think the US will continue to innovate as they've always done, they just won't dominate innovation in all key areas as they've done in the last century.

I think China might pull ahead in renewable energies, AI (possibly) and computer hardware. Barring a major recession/depression the US will likely still be the leader in most other key areas of technology and science.

I think the US will continue to innovate as they've always done, they just won't dominate innovation in all key areas as they've done in the last century.

I think China might pull ahead in renewable energies, AI (possibly) and computer hardware. Barring a major recession/depression the US will likely still be the leader in most other key areas of technology and science.

Oh, the US is already in trouble with bio-tech, robotics, and quantum information systems; yet the NIH and FFRDCs like Los Alamos and JPL among others have had flat budgets for damn near a decade straight up until the 2018 omnibus bill which cites China specifically.

On the contrary, Xi is opening a state of the art $10 billion R&D center in 2020 dedicated solely to quantum info (computing and cryptography) and China already has the biggest achievement in the field to date, with a paper in Nature I've linked on here several times. They seem to be betting the house that this is the most consequential area of technology for the future of defense and national security. I think they're right.

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature23655

nintchdbpict000286915633.jpg

Don't need a land invasion. Completely decimate the coastline, destroy that pitiful Navy (sorry bub, your Navy is pitiful compared to ours I don't care exactly that China surprised us one time by getting close, lold good at 1 aircraft carrier) and keep China boxed in on land with India gladly obliging.

Good effort with yourself though, it's good you are nationalistic to your country, however, the technology is just not there yet for China. Our forward bases and Navy would make life hell for China, should China actually try and nut up vs it's superior. We're talking decades of barrages that would completely whittle that precious GDP down to Pakistan levels. Would China fair better than say 10 years ago? Yes, but overall, the Chinese are not people of innovations, they are people of stealing technology and emulating. They will always be behind.

nintchdbpict000286917111.jpg

I can post pictures too.

http://armedforces.eu/compare/country_USA_vs_China

“The Chinese are not people of innovations”.

Fucking hell.

That really, truly might be the most stupid, ignorant statement I have ever read on Sherdog. On SHERDOG.

“The Chinese are not people of innovations”.

Fucking hell.

That really, truly might be the most stupid, ignorant statement I have ever read on Sherdog. On SHERDOG.
Not even close. The chinese counterfeiting and cloning or products is insane.

Where did I state my racial superiority? That's quite the accusation there.

If anything you're the one bringing race into this, with myself and that other poster as well. Sound to me like you may some deep seated bias against asians, should get that checked out.
Nope.

With China interested in building their empire and spreading themselves around the globe in Africa, the South Pacific, etc, it only seems a matter of time before the two nations will be at loggerheads with each other.
I think China will test America to see if the President at the time,[lets hope its not Oprah!] stands up to them. If he/she does, then a conflict is on the cards imo. Mind you the U.S. may back down.

So if the answer is 'yes,' will Russia join in too?

Or is this a load of bollocks? Will the two countries just get along fine over the next 100 years despite China having control of the shipping lanes in the South China Sea?

Found out yesterday that Australia has about 15 days of petroleum in reserve, that's all. So it wouldn't take too long for the country to grind to a halt if China ever decided to block our supply coming in.

China likes to play the Long Game. While they are ruthless bastards, the Chinese will avoid open warfare if at all possible. Proxy wars in shit-hole countries are fine. No one who actually matters will be hurt. But full scale war between super powers is very bad for business.

Not even close. The chinese counterfeiting and cloning or products is insane.

And that really doesn’t change the fact that the Chinese are probably the most inventive people in the world.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chinese_inventions

I was secretly hoping you’d do a mea culpa and say “what I meant is that they haven’t been innovative in recent times” (and even then, you’d be wrong). But nope, you just stuck to your claim.

History and Science don’t begin in 1776 (or 1945). Keep that in mind, bro

I really hope not. It's not good for anyone IMO. I also think that China in it's current form is headed for an implosion based on demographics and local debt. I don't see how they push growth fast enough to get rich before they get old.

I dont like the Chinese model rightnow they are like UK,US imperialism light, well I hope they don't turn Imperialism 2.0 as that is ugly. But I dont think they will implode nor hope they implode as I see if they implode the ecconomic ramifications in the region will be ugly but if you are in the USA or Europe an imploded China might be benificial in the long run. But I am from Asia so no good.

China is a fragile country surrounded by all 14 neighbors who are enemies and don't trust them. 3 who are world powers (Russia, India and Pakistan), 3 who are US satellite client states (Korea, Japan and the rest of the Pacific) and 99% of Asia are also US allies.

Then there are ethnic Uigyurs, Tibetans, Manchu HK and the rest of the West and North China who are not loyal to the country and hates the ethnic Han, and want to either have their own independent country or re-join their neighboring cousins.

The country can be easily exploited, destroyed and Balkanized with little effort.

Last edited:
Compelling argument...

100 years of poverty and famine is a good teacher, they underestimated the west the first time around but thats no longer the case, its the other way around now. They've seen the darkest times and bounced back, the US is yet to be tested like that.

Didn’t America go through a pretty damn rough time in the 1930s? If I remember right much of the country was barely scraping by or living in wooden shantys outside.

China is a fragile country surrounded by all 14 neighbors who are enemies and don't trust them. 3 who are world powers (Russia, India and Pakistan), 3 who are US satellite client states (Korea, Japan and the rest of the Pacific) and 99% of Asia are also US allies.

Then there are ethnic Uigyurs, Tibetans, Manchu HK and the rest of the West and North China who are not loyal to the country and hates the ethnic Han, and want to either have their own independent country or re-join their neighboring cousins.

The country can be easily exploited, destroyed and Balkanized with little effort.

That is why Mr.Ping is creating a giant surveillance network like some parallel to the NSA in the USA and more. They will quell the populace with incentives too.

Hey man, it's all respect.

I personally find Xi Jinping to be pretty abhorrent, but I have reluctant respect for his intellect and the STEM background doesn't hurt. He has complete control over that country and is wildly competent at both running it and achieving the objectives he puts forth, even if some of those objectives are downright Orwellian. In terms of science and technology, Xi has drastically overhauled their structure and focus, redirected funding to areas which allow them to realistically compete and eventually overtake the United States. China is now an innovator, not merely a development research pit. They're doing a lot of fundamental and applied, with impressive feats.

I view the PRC on the whole as being a superior adversary to the former USSR but the reason it isn't directly comparable is far less to do with capability but the fact that the economies of the US and China are interdependent in ways the Soviet Union never was or ever would've been. I don't necessarily view it as being a zero-sum game, but the way China's alliances shake out could complicate matters, not to mention their quite entitled view on dominion over the Indo-Pacific. The insanely ambitious OBOR initiative is already ruffling the wrong feathers and the comments from James Mattis were telling in a 'wink-wink' kind of way.

Xi was instrumental in reducing corruption within the CCP, using a more pragmatic approach to punish only government officials instead of the private entities and corporations. The CCP is far less fractured than in the past and internal corruption and bribe taking is at an all time low. They are a well fueled machine right now, it wasn't that long ago that there were talks of a major divide within the CCP and a potential civil war brewing.

I was surprised when I first heard about Xi extending term limits indefinitely, Its possible that they believe the possibility of major conflict is looming (either economic or military) and want to consolidate power. Change of leadership every 4 to 8 years is often innefficient and impractical, and a waste of resources, time and effort. Perhaps when Xi was so busy cleaning up the in-house garbage in the CCP, he also used to opportunity to ensure his own legacy. He's the most powerful Chinese leader since Mao, but imo he still answers to the party, China needs a strong leader in the next decade as we see a major shift in power and potential conflicts. So I think Xi is only as powerful as the CCP lets him be or wants him to be.

Didn’t America go through a pretty damn rough time in the 1930s? If I remember right much of the country was barely scraping by or living in wooden shantys outside.

They did, the great depression affected many nations not just the US. As bad as it was though, it was really a cakewalk compared to what was going on in most of East Asia at the time. Around the same time in China, they had no central government, foreign powers controlled most of the wealth and resources, the Japanese were invading from the East, and the rest of nation was divided up by various warlords and there was constant war and fighting. The nation was dirt poor with tremendous poverty, violence and famine, it was hell.

I doubt it.
America especially does not want to get into a fight with a near-peer nation (I don't think the states has the staying power for a conflict of that nature) and China's smarter than to pick a losing, short-term fight when, in the long-term, they can happily achieve their ambitions without conflict with the US.

Nature Index by discipline. America still holds a rather commanding lead considering the funding for fundamental research has largely been stagnant for the better part of the last decade while PRC has increased its own by 18%+ on annual basis over the same period.

Physics

Physik.png

Chemistry

Chem.png

Biology

Bio.png

Earth & Environment

Envo.png

History and Science don’t begin in 1776 (or 1945). Keep that in mind, bro

It's probably closer to around 1687 on the latter with the Newtonian Synthesis (achieved a couple decades prior to publishing) laying the foundation of modern science as we recognize and know it although engineering/invention are and could be considered something very separate. The fundamental approach and mindset behind them is inverted.

I dont like the Chinese model rightnow they are like UK,US imperialism light, well I hope they don't turn Imperialism 2.0 as that is ugly. But I dont think they will implode nor hope they implode as I see if they implode the ecconomic ramifications in the region will be ugly but if you are in the USA or Europe an imploded China might be benificial in the long run. But I am from Asia so no good.

There's probably not enough emphasis placed on actual geography when it comes to geo-political discussion. On this front, the United States possesses an extraordinary advantage over the rest of the world: it's filled to the brim with natural resources, has the most extensive natural network of waterways and more arable land than any other country in the world, with nearly incomparable built-in protection in the form of two massive oceanic bodies of water.

By comparison, China has limited agricultural land, scattered rivers, numerous frontiers (some hostile) and is hemmed in from a clean entry to the Pacific with limited projection capabilities by and due to countries aligned with US strategic interests. It almost adds insult to injury that America will be the most competitive manufacturing nation once again by 2020 as well as net energy exporter by 2022, a status it hasn't held since 1953.

China has already won. There's no destroy the other country war. You take them over financially through their biggest corporations.

Conspiracy theory my ass. C.R.E.A.M.

Last edited:
Back