Is it legal to burn a rainbow flag?

sangreporsangre

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Something just came to my mind, I wonder if any lawyers or anyone well versed in the laws of the US or Canada would know the answer to this. I know that in these countries as well as a few others, it's completely legal to burn the nation's flag as an act of protest. Obviously if the flag is stolen from someone, or if the fire is started in a reckless way that presents the danger of causing injury or property damage the person can be charged. But if it's a contained fire as part of a protest you would be covered under freedom of expression to burn an American or Canadian flag. As low as my opinion of people who tend to do that is, I fully agree with the law.

But what if someone burned a rainbow flag under the same conditions? Could they be charged with hate-crime offenses at all? Does anyone know if something like this has ever come before the courts? Sorry if this is a topic that has come up and been played out before but I can't remember anything like it. Closest I can think of was all the drama with people burning Qurans a few years ago.

The only 2 flags liberals would be against burning are the LGBT flag and an ISIS flag.

Burning a rainbow flag would be kinda gay.
NTTAWWT.

It's probably considered hate speech.

Sounds like something that would clearly be protected by the 1st Amendment in the US.

I think burning any kind of flag is stupid and gae.

Thats actually a good question.
It should be protected under the 1st, but in todays climate of histrionics, hysterics and hashtags, I could see it being exempted.

Something just came to my mind, I wonder if any lawyers or anyone well versed in the laws of the US or Canada would know the answer to this. I know that in these countries as well as a few others, it's completely legal to burn the nation's flag as an act of protest. Obviously if the flag is stolen from someone, or if the fire is started in a reckless way that presents the danger of causing injury or property damage the person can be charged. But if it's a contained fire as part of a protest you would be covered under freedom of expression to burn an American or Canadian flag. As low as my opinion of people who tend to do that is, I fully agree with the law.

But what if someone burned a rainbow flag under the same conditions? Could they be charged with hate-crime offenses at all? Does anyone know if something like this has ever come before the courts? Sorry if this is a topic that has come up and been played out before but I can't remember anything like it. Closest I can think of was all the drama with people burning Qurans a few years ago.

Nothing illegal about it in America.

Is it actually illegal to burn a US flag?

... Guess I could google it,but I'm already here.

The only 2 flags liberals would be against burning are the LGBT flag and an ISIS flag.
They'll really hate me then... I use the ISIS flag as toilet paper and to wipe up blood at the gym after hard sparring sessions.

No, not in the US anyway. I mentioned this in the OP.

My bad.

Burning a US flag as a firm of protest makes sense to me.

Burning a LGBTQ flag seem to just be an act of hate. Unless you are somehow suffering or being persecuted under LGBTQ rule?

Burning a LGBTQ flag seem to just be an act of hate.
oOTw1w9.gif

His comment makes good sense.

The reasons for burning the US flag are quite varied, but there isn't really another reason to burn an LGBT flag other than hatred for "the queer agenda" or whatever (or plain hatred for gays).

My bad.

Burning a LGBTQ flag seem to just be an act of hate. Unless you are somehow suffering or being persecuted under LGBTQ rule?

It seems like it would be a silly form of protest sure, and mean-spirited. But that's not the question. Would it be covered by freedom of expression? After all, I seriously doubt that everyone who ever burned a US flag has "suffered or been persecuted" by the US. And it's not like they have to prove that they were in order for their act of protest to be considered legal.

A couple of American posters here seem pretty confident that burning a rainbow flag would be covered by the First Amendment. Since nobody is citing any cases I'm guessing that it's never come up before the courts, or if it was then it didn't get a lot of publicity. I'm wondering about Canada as we don't have a First Amendment, although our courts have decided that burning a Canadian flag is a legitimate form of protest.

It seems like it would be a silly form of protest sure, and mean-spirited. But that's not the question. Would it be covered by freedom of expression?

Obviously. The persecution fantasies you guys have are ridiculous.

His comment makes good sense.

The reasons for burning the US flag are quite varied, but there isn't really another reason to burn an LGBT flag other than hatred for "the queer agenda" or whatever (or plain hatred for gays).

So you don't really see a reason other than two distinct motives? And look at the scare words here. Couldn't a person simply protest the queer agenda without necessarily hating it? I think so. And couldn't they protest it for varied reasons? You are looking at this from a narrow perspective imo.

Back