Is it legal to burn a rainbow flag?

You really should fuck off though, with that nonsense. Some practically nonexistent burning of a gay flag that doesn't come from bigotry/hatred/intolerance? How much time does that corner-of-a-corner case deserve? None. U.S. flag burning can come from a lot of motivations (obviously, since it's a much larger symbol encompassing many more people and ideas, including the LGBT flag if you're keeping score).

It's far more likely that given 100 gay flag burnings and 100 U.S. flag burnings that the U.S. flag burnings are coming from a large variety of motivations, with hate/bigotry being a subset of those motivations, while on the other hand the gay flag burnings would be almost exclusively expressions of bigotry/hate.

And this is so obvious that it's not plausible you're that you're so stupid that you don't see it immediately. So I'll compliment your intelligence and just assume that religious bigotry gets you hard as fuck.

No, I need not fuck off. Unlike you, I'm not afraid to explain myself. If you're asking whether I can see that bigotry could be a reason people would burn a rainbow flag, I surely acknowledge that.

But you have accused me of "defending horrible things". And I haven't defended anything other than flag burning. But you threw a tantrum when I asked you to clarify whether you find flag burning horrible. Pro tip, if you make a habit of leveling spurious denunciations at people, they're going to ask you what you mean.

So, do you find find flag burning horrible or not? And if not, then what horrible things have I defended here?

Other guys have expressed similar persecution fantasies or speculation, yeah. The premise is utterly ridiculous. It's not a remotely controversial or questionable issue. Of course it's legal to burn a rainbow flag.

There's no persecution fantasies here dude. Who's being persecuted? Where have I implied that anyone is? I'm not American, I know that it's legal to burn the national flag but is it a given that the legal protection would apply to other non-national symbols as well? And does your dismissal of the question apply to Canada or any other countries where burning the nation's flag is legal? Because that's also a question I posed in the OP.

I'm just trying to start a interesting conversation and learn some things. At least 1 guy in this thread, a fellow Canadian, learned something about US law. I'm interested to learn from this other guy if there are specific laws against cross-burning, which I had never heard before. There are plenty of threads on here where you can just throw poop at "you guys" if you don't want to add anything of substance to this thread.

There's no persecution fantasies here dude. Who's being persecuted? Where have I implied that anyone is? I'm not American, I know that it's legal to burn the national flag but is it a given that the legal protection would apply to other non-national symbols as well?

Yes, it is a given. I don't think you'll find a single lawyer who would tell you otherwise. It's like asking if it's still legal to say "Merry Christmas" (obviously since Trump was elected, it is).

No, I need not fuck off. Unlike you, I'm not afraid to explain myself. If you're asking whether I can see that bigotry could be a reason people would burn a rainbow flag, I surely acknowledge that.

But you have accused me of "defending horrible things". And I haven't defended anything other than flag burning. But you threw a tantrum when I asked you to clarify whether you find flag burning horrible. Pro tip, if you make a habit of leveling spurious denunciations at people, they're going to ask you what you mean.

So, do you find find flag burning horrible or not? And if not, then what horrible things have I defended here?
I said everything that needed to be said, and I won't permit you to hide behind obtuseness.

What you should do is answer how you think I would respond, in good faith, to your bad question. You have to do some of the lifting here. You owe it after you pretended that "both sides" of US/gay flag burning were equivalent. That was a boner.

I said everything that needed to be said, and I won't permit you to behind obtuseness.

What you should do is answer how you think I would respond, in good faith, to your bad question. You have to do some of the lifting here.

I've done all the lifting silly. You accused me of defending horrible things, but you refuse to say what those horrible things are. How is it obtuse to ask you what exactly you meant? What horrible things?

What's obtuse is spuriously accusing others of defending horrible things and then refusing to say what those horrible things are plainly.

Here's your quote.
No, I think you're stretching credulity yet again to defend-without-really-defending horrible behavior.

Yeah, but LGBT flag ?

Flags desecration is not defined by national or territorial terms -- the wording is just flags and its protected. So long as you dont light it and throw it at lgbt people (or other acts of intimidation) its not illegal, outside of open burn / air quality violations.

Burning replica like effigies of people are not illegal and that seems like more of an intimidation factor than a flag.

I've done all the lifting silly. You accused me of defending horrible things, but you refuse to say what those horrible things are. How is it obtuse to ask you what exactly you meant? What horrible things?

What's obtuse is spuriously accusing others of defending horrible things and then refusing to say what those horrible things are plainly.

Here's your quote.
Yeah, the standard Inga hunt for whatever you can get. Unfortunately your bloodhound nose is tuned to a nearer source of contamination, to which you naturally try to drag arguments.

No sale. You already know (on a lower level of understanding, but in the ballpark) what my answer to "is flag burning horrible" would be, and you are again in the corner of religious bigotry, leveraging all you can out of it. It's shit. It's mud. Take a shower.

Yes because liberals love isis.

You really are daft.

There are no such thing as the "ISIS-flag" really.

The text on their flag is the shahada, the common creed of muslims worldwide: "There is no god but Allah and Mohammed is his messenger"

Burning this flag would certainly be offensive to many muslims, even within an isis context, in fact it's something that is regularly thrown towards groups fighting ISIS, from even non-pro ISIS muslims, that careless handling of that flag is an offense.

So how about that?

Flags desecration is not defined by national or territorial terms -- the wording is just flags and its protected. So long as you dont light it and throw it at lgbt people (or other acts of intimidation) its not illegal, outside of open burn / air quality violations.

Burning replica like effigies of people are not illegal and that seems like more of an intimidation factor than a flag.

This seems at odds with hate speech laws.

Yeah, the standard Inga hunt for whatever you can get. Unfortunately your bloodhound nose is tuned to a nearer source of contamination, to which you naturally try to drag arguments.

No sale. You already know (on a lower level of understanding, but in the ballpark) what my answer to "is flag burning horrible" would be, and you are again in the corner of religious bigotry, leveraging all you can out of it. It's shit. It's mud. Take a shower.

It's a standard Inga hunt for Fawlty to explain his words. I don't know whether you think flag burning is horrible since you've run from the question, all while without a scintilla of self awareness you've called me obtuse and said I'm hiding. If I had to guess, I'd say you think burning American flags is fine but burning a rainbow flag is horrible. As for me, I don't think any flag burning is horrible. I think it can be offensive but I'd never describe a person defending flag-burning as defending horrible things.

This seems at odds with hate speech laws.

There was a tranny last year who burned one at UBC; and she/he/it only got a mischief fine because it was university property and under 5000 in value

It's a standard Inga hunt for Fawlty to explain his words. I don't know whether you think flag burning is horrible since you've run from the question, all while without a scintilla of self awareness you've called me obtuse and said I'm hiding. If I had to guess, I'd say you think burning American flags is fine but burning a rainbow flag is horrible. As for me, I don't think any flag burning is horrible. I think it can be offensive but I'd never describe a person defending flag-burning as defending horrible things.
Sounds simple and stupid, but I'm not surprised by it, and I'm not interested in your inevitably bad opinions about flag burning.

I already rebutted the equivalence of gay flag vs US flag burning in terms of motivation, so there is nowhere for this to go, except you hunting for your own ass.

Sounds simple and stupid, but I'm not surprised by it, and I'm not interested in your inevitably bad opinions about flag burning.

I already rebutted the equivalence of gay flag vs US flag burning in terms of motivation, so there is nowhere for this to go, except you hunting for your own ass.

If my take on your views on flag burning is simple and stupid, why don't you supplement them by explaining your view on the topic? You started talking shit about me, and now you're trying to find a way out of it without having to explain yourself or back down, but you really should do one or the other.

What horrible things did I defend in this thread?

Back