Is it legal to burn a rainbow flag?

His comment makes good sense.

The reasons for burning the US flag are quite varied, but there isn't really another reason to burn an LGBT flag other than hatred for "the queer agenda" or whatever (or plain hatred for gays).

I hate the "queer agenda". Am I not entitled to my own opinion?

I don't care if people are gay, I also think that married gays should have the same rights as hetero married couples.

What I hate is the gay parades and never ending pro-gay propaganda. I am willing to accept it but certainly not celebrate it.

There has been outrage and a man ticketed in Canada over rainbow coloured crosswalks having tire-marks on them.

Driver ticketed after skid marks left on Pride crosswalk in Grande Prairie

Saskatoon’s rainbow crosswalk damaged by tire marks

Fort McMurray Pride crosswalk defaced week after it was installed

Fort Langley's new rainbow crosswalk defaced by heavy tire marks

png0917nrainbow-01.jpg

giphy.gif
Are rainbow crosswalks a thing in Canada?
How strange. Seems like trampling a gay symbol would be frowned upon.

I hate the "queer agenda". Am I not entitled to my own opinion?

I don't care if people are gay, I also think that married gays should have the same rights as hetero married couples.

What I hate is the gay parades and never ending pro-gay propaganda. I am willing to accept it but certainly not celebrate it.

The media glorifies gays as flawless, sassy, attractive Ken dolls who are morally and fashionably superior to the rest of the peoplekind. It is interesting the media never mentions the higher rates of promiscuity, risky sex, drug abuse, sexual abuse, domestic violence and sexually transmitted diseases (including AIDS) that plagues the gay community.

The media glorifies gays as flawless, sassy, attractive Ken dolls who are morally and fashionably superior to the rest of the peoplekind. It is interesting the media never mentions the higher rates of promiscuity, risky sex, drug abuse, sexual abuse, domestic violence and sexually transmitted diseases (including AIDS) that plagues the gay community.

See? There you go again making it sound fun!

It's not an "ISIS-flag" tho. It's the shahada on a piece of cloth, one of the five basic pillars of Islam.

Burning that will get you in trouble with many people.

Then those "many people" should be roasted slowly to death.

Sounds like something that would clearly be protected by the 1st Amendment in the US.

Agreed. But would there be outrage?

Sure you can burn it. You just look like a asshole wasting his time. No different than when someone burns any other flag.

Burning the flag isn't a crime (unless there's some general anti-flag burning ordinance in play). But if they're using the process as part of some larger targeting behavior, it might be evidence of something else.

Sort of how burning crosses wasn't illegal, riding at night isn't illegal, wearing hoods isn't illegal or assembling with friends isn't illegal.

Yet a group of friends wearing hoods and riding up to someone's house in the middle of the night and planting a burning cross in their yard to terrorize them crossed into criminal behavior.

Of course it would piss people off. It's a display of bigotry.

Provocation would be the intention. These nutters seem to think that free speech means freedom from criticism (and obviously that is only supposed to go one way).

The only 2 flags liberals would be against burning are the LGBT flag and an ISIS flag.

Yeah, right. I know SO many liberals that just LOVE isis. You guys need to get out more.

Of course it would piss people off. It's a display of bigotry.

Though Im pro gay marriage, its a sad day when burning that flag makes people angry while burning the American flag does nothing

Though Im pro gay marriage, its a sad day when burning that flag makes people angry while burning the American flag does nothing
The US flag being burned pisses tons of people off, liberal conservative or whatever.

It's a terrible comparison though. Like I said earlier, people burn the US flag for lots of reasons (even people that love the country). People would only burn a gay flag for reasons like religious bigotry, or other kinds of hatred toward gay people.

Something just came to my mind, I wonder if any lawyers or anyone well versed in the laws of the US or Canada would know the answer to this. I know that in these countries as well as a few others, it's completely legal to burn the nation's flag as an act of protest. Obviously if the flag is stolen from someone, or if the fire is started in a reckless way that presents the danger of causing injury or property damage the person can be charged. But if it's a contained fire as part of a protest you would be covered under freedom of expression to burn an American or Canadian flag. As low as my opinion of people who tend to do that is, I fully agree with the law.

But what if someone burned a rainbow flag under the same conditions? Could they be charged with hate-crime offenses at all? Does anyone know if something like this has ever come before the courts? Sorry if this is a topic that has come up and been played out before but I can't remember anything like it. Closest I can think of was all the drama with people burning Qurans a few years ago.
I suppose if you burned it on the lawn of some LGBT+ people it could be considered a hate crime. Just like if you burned a cross on the lawn of black people. But burning a flag or a cross in and of itself is not a crime.

Back