IS it okay to bench 3 times a week?

nick jacoby

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I am still in the beginner progressions. I am getting stronger fast and my fastest gains are coming on my benching.
I've been doing starting strength and now doing stronglifts 5x5 with some curls added.. Both call for benching twice a week.
I've been benching 3 times a week though. And progressing nicely. Should I stick with 3 bench days a week
or go back to twice a week?

If it's working and you're not too beat up from it, I don't see why you should change anything.

As long as your still not sore from previous training go nuts. Personally i need 2 days to recover then good to go again.

There's nothing wrong with benching 3 times per week. Just take care of your shoulders, which I suppose is good advice if you're benching at all, no matter the frequency.

It’s more than ok, it’s the best way to gain strength and size

I am still in the beginner progressions. I am getting stronger fast and my fastest gains are coming on my benching.
I've been doing starting strength and now doing stronglifts 5x5 with some curls added.. Both call for benching twice a week.
I've been benching 3 times a week though. And progressing nicely. Should I stick with 3 bench days a week
you're gonna learn real soon that you need to add equal volume of rows if you bench frequently.

you're gonna learn real soon that you need to add equal volume of rows if you bench frequently.

This plus scapular work. But yes 3x a week is fine if the volume intensity is adjusted and recoverable.

Yes, if:

a) You don't have elbows/wrists/shoulders injuries
b) You manage intensity and volume since your frequency is very high
c) You hit variations (incline, decline, paused, board press, floor press, pin press, etc)

Benching 3 times a week is fine.

Pull lots and build those bowling ball shoulders.

Some exercises for your training programs by MMA Fighters!

Agreed re all the talk of balancing the shoulders. Pull the same that you push imo, plus face pulls, rotator cuff stuff etc.

And don't forget the oranges. Lots of oranges!

Its fine, just very your intensity and rep scheme as the weight goes up. Strengthen the antagonist muscles like the upper back, lats, rotor cuff mucles, and stretch your pecs to avoid shoulder rounding.

It's fine, but don't go heavy every day. Maybe on day could be spent working on form and speed.

Back