is it okay to spar hard every sparring session?

SkribbLe

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In my first sparring session, I sparred with somebody equally as experienced as me, the trainer put us in the ring for 3 rounds of 1:30.

In the first round I busted up his nose, the sparring was cut short and never sparred with him again.

On my second sparring, I got a different partner outweighing me by over 30 pounds. in the second or third round, I knocked him down with a body shot.

My only other sparring partners available had hundreds of fights already.

Long story short, I gave them amazing sparring while having 0 fights.

The thing is, my gym spars HARD, really hard every sparring session. The gym supplies very good and new gloves and headgear for our protection.

My gym dosnt spar at a certain percentage. We just go and try to knock our heads off.

Should I tell my partner or trainer something about it? is it okay? I really want to emphasize we use high quality gear for great protection.

Thanks

I would say it's fine, my gym is the same. Every spar is a pretty hard spar, some are really intense.

Sigh..............I am really sorry.........you already have the brain damage.............

"High quality gear" will do little to stop your brain colliding with the inside of your skull.

highly doubt I have the slightest amount of brain damage.

plus I've only been boxing for a year and a half

Sigh..............I am really sorry.........you already have the brain damage.............

I have 129 ammy fights and I'm 15. I am very VERY far from brain damage. I take very good care of myself. I have the best headgear money could buy for sparring, I haven't lost my edge in school. It's really about how you protect yourself sparring. You shouldn't spar with competition headgear. You should have as much protection as you could.

Seems like an odd question for someone with over 100 fights

134784284264.png

Geordie "Shadow" Munro;78437001 said:
Seems like an odd question for someone with over 100 fights

Ouch. Is someone caught in his own web of lies?

LOL

I was giving great sparring while having 0 fights. Yes, but you're not understanding I'm talking about the past tense. as of today, I have 129 ammy fights

I was giving great sparring while having 0 fights. Yes, but you're not understanding I'm talking about the past tense. as of today, I have 129 ammy fights

You made the thread less then an hour ago.

highly doubt I have the slightest amount of brain damage.

plus I've only been boxing for a year and a half

Plus it doesn't really make sense for you to be telling us about your first sparring session before you had any fights if you've had 129 fights to date and you made the thread less then an hour ago.

Geordie "Shadow" Munro;78437295 said:
You made the thread less then an hour ago.

I understand where you're coming from, but you're not understanding me..

I stated that I GAVE amazing sparring WHILE having 0 fights.

I was talking about the time being.

I was talking about the past tense, the situation that was occurring.

As of now I have 129 ammy fights, while my sparring partner has a little over 280.

I understand where you're coming from, but you're not understanding me..

I stated that I GAVE amazing sparring WHILE having 0 fights.

I was talking about the time being.

I was talking about the past tense, the situation that was occurring.

As of now I have 129 ammy fights, while my sparring partner has a little over 280.

I understand that, which is why I find it odd that you are asking a question in the present with a scenario from the distant past, when anyone who reads this first glance will think you had this sparring experience recently.

Why would you ask us if sparring hard is okay or not if you have over 100 fights?

This might sound stupid, but I try not to have people record sparring sessions or fights. I think it gives my opponent something to study.

I agree with this post but I still have videos of my fights in my possession and if someone really wanted to dig they can find news articles. Not having any evidence seems fishy.

the scenario is from the past. Yes. but the actual situation is from both present and past.

My boxing is from Puerto Rico. having a little over 100 fights still puts me in the intermediate level over here.

My problem was and still is, that we spar way too hard I think. I own a custom winning fg 5000 headgear which is basically the best money could buy, but I'm worried about my partners health as well.

I still feel the shots inside the headgear, it's not like I'm invincible with it. I'm just worried on the long term injuries, that's why I asked if I should let it be because it's normal in some gyms, or say something about it.

and yes, I try not to have people record, only because our sparring sessions go all out. you'll clearly see my faults and strong points.

If people do actually record, it's for personal use, it's not something they'd show to other gyms or post in the internet

In my first sparring session, I sparred with somebody equally as experienced as me, the trainer put us in the ring for 3 rounds of 1:30.

In the first round I busted up his nose, the sparring was cut short and never sparred with him again.

On my second sparring, I got a different partner outweighing me by over 30 pounds. in the second or third round, I knocked him down with a body shot.

My only other sparring partners available had hundreds of fights already.

The thing is, my gym spars HARD, really hard every sparring session. The gym supplies very good and new gloves and headgear for our protection.

My gym dosnt spar at a certain percentage. We just go and try to knock our heads off.

Should I tell my partner or trainer something about it? is it okay? I really want to emphasize we use high quality gear for great protection.

Thanks

How is it "amazing sparring" when your partners don't come back and/or end up not being able to spar for the rest of the lesson?

In that case no, in my opinion, sparring 100% all the time isn't the best way to go about things.

You are more likely to get injured, not develop as much technically, receive more wear and tear/ fighter mileage .

Don't get me wrong, hard sparring has its place and is very important, but IMO isn't the be all end all.

Geordie "Shadow" Munro;78438579 said:
In that case no, in my opinion, sparring 100% all the time isn't the best way to go about things.

You are more likely to get injured, not develop as much technically, receive more wear and tear/ fighter mileage .

Don't get me wrong, hard sparring has its place and is very important, but IMO isn't the be all end all.

Thanks. I appreciate your words.

How is it "amazing sparring" when your partners don't come back and/or end up not being able to spar for the rest of the lesson?

did you even read it all?

I meant I gave amazing sparring to the guys with over 100 fights while I had none at the time

Back