Is it possible to make a living from betting?

Once murica gets on board moreit’ll be lit

I might have missed it, but limits and bookies declining your action become a serious issue.

I don't really think it's a viable living for anyone. Not with just Mma, anyway.
I was going to ask if 5dimes ever ban/limit people..? They sure get nothing out of you.

Discipline is key. It's something that I don't really have and I lost money because of that. Don't bet just for the sake of betting really, bet when you feel you have an edge. If you are on a bad run don't be afraid to take some time off instead of forcing the bets. This is what I'm doing right now.

Read the forum, watch the interviews and watch the tape. There is a lot of useful stuff posted on here and some very knowledgeable people.

If they're legal in your country, the exchanges are actually a good way to get around limits. They have no incentive to limit you. Getting huge volume (More than a grand or two) onto non-major UFC fights would be difficult, though. I know a bunch of guys love it for standard sports since even a domestic Australian Soccer match can get up to $120k matched.

hell yes you can, been doing it for 3+ years and I'm lazy as fuck.

If they're legal in your country, the exchanges are actually a good way to get around limits. They have no incentive to limit you. Getting huge volume (More than a grand or two) onto non-major UFC fights would be difficult, though. I know a bunch of guys love it for standard sports since even a domestic Australian Soccer match can get up to $120k matched.

the exchanges are a godsend, liquidity is increasing for mma lately with books and exchanges trying to attract a younger customer who are naturally inclined to bet things like mma anyway. if you have access to an exchange and don't use it for any mainstream sports you are almost certainly getting worse odds. making US available to an exchange would change the whole industry for those that can already use it, especially for mma.

yea. they limit. bookmaker is the only big book that doesn't that i've seen...

pinnacle too supposedly. but can't confirm that as I've not been allowed to use them from UK for the last few years. they encourage ppl to take value lines and arb. but when i did use them i had limits for each bet. think that was for everyone though.

Not true re volume. You can bet thousands on any ufc fight whether its the first or last fight of the card on matchbook

the exchanges are a godsend, liquidity is increasing for mma lately with books and exchanges trying to attract a younger customer who are naturally inclined to bet things like mma anyway. if you have access to an exchange and don't use it for any mainstream sports you are almost certainly getting worse odds. making US available to an exchange would change the whole industry for those that can already use it, especially for mma.
Are the better odds at exchanges offset by the commission and premium charges incurred though? Reading the T&C's with Betfair the emphasis seems very much on 'the longer you go on winning the more we charge you'. Understandable from their point of view but no doubt you get clobbered as a long term winner.

Depends on your starting money. If you have 100k or so to dedicate to it and are extremely disciplined/humble its possible.

I started with $200 (mainly for the entertainment factor) and in about 4-5 months had $2.2k I then made the worst bet of my life and put 1.5k on Brunson over Whittaker (hindsight is 20/20 but Brunson had Whittaker hurt against the fence at one point....then decided to throw his head straight in the air and run around like a duck)

That 700 left I turned into about 5.4k (max I had) now I'm back and forth around 3-4k. From a percentage basis its good but constant growth and profit enough to live off would be very difficult I'd imagine, especially if you're only betting MMA. I've never dabbled in other sports but I'd imagine MMA is one of the most difficult things to consistently profit from.

A general rule of thumb I'd say with any type of gambling is just don't risk what you can't afford to lose regardless of the outcome. Anyone can go on a great run, think they're beating the game then lose it all the next time out.

My goal awhile ago was to build up enough winnings to do just one even-odds bet per month and double my money while getting Bovada's maximum check payout each time ($3,000).

The bets I'm convinced are good never turn out, though. :(

My goal awhile ago was to build up enough winnings to do just one even-odds bet per month and double my money while getting Bovada's maximum check payout each time ($3,000).

The bets I'm convinced are good never turn out, though. :(
I thought about this long ago, I thought if I get one bet 1.8 or even money a month with high stake that’s great but I didn’t even do it cause MMA is unpredictable and also it’s not smart to bet like that :)

I thought about this long ago, I thought if I get one bet 1.8 or even money a month with high stake that’s great but I didn’t even do it cause MMA is unpredictable and also it’s not smart to bet like that :)

I was trying to triple my pot at 217 with a Zahabi/Harris parlay and we all know how that went...

Are the better odds at exchanges offset by the commission and premium charges incurred though? Reading the T&C's with Betfair the emphasis seems very much on 'the longer you go on winning the more we charge you'. Understandable from their point of view but no doubt you get clobbered as a long term winner.

sorry for the wall of text:

with betfair It's 5% base commission(winning bets only) and the vast majority of the time that still works out much better than the odds you get at bookmakers, it's a bit different for mma due to the lower liquidity so books are needed too. but often you can get bet's matched higher than books if you put an order up dependent on the liquidity and odds that you and others are offering/taking.

you will lower the commission you pay the more you bet also, by accumulating betfair points which is a tiered ladder, when you hit enough points you get a 2% discount on the commission paid each level, up to 60% at which point your paying 2% commission.

there's a thing called the premium charge which you refereed too, it's fairly complicated and I don't know much about it tbh. but they basically take a large part of any winnings, luckily you need to be making something like 250k a year to get it which most people don't. and even then this can be avoided by using other exchanges( betdaq,smarkets or matchbook) or books if you can get good odds to lower the profit you make on betfair, and avoid the charge. your better off finding some youtube videos explaining it though tbh.

matchbook are a great alternative for mma as @Sham5916910 knows, they have good liquidity for it and the commission is a lot lower from the get go. i think it's 1.5% for bets that you take and 0.75% for bets that you offer and get taken. for most sports however the liquidity simply can't compare to betfair or betdaq a lot of the time. even smarkets (1% base commission iirc) have more liquidity for the most popular few sports which is understandable as their place as an outlet for matched bettors is pretty solid.

so when you look at the commission each exchange charges you and compare that to the average bookmakers overround which is usually 10-20% exchanges are much better in the long run generally.

So these exchanges are only available for Europeans?

I would suggest having another sort of Income along with it.

Say you build up 400k in savings. Take 50k for betting. 350 Stocks. Shoot for 3k/month from stocks as sort of a base for living. Then you can use your 50k bankroll without ungodly fear that you'll have to give blood every day to get by if u hit a bad run. Which you will!!

Treat the 50k carefully. Set rules! Max 1k per fight. Max 3500 per event.

Maybe u can then build that BR up while surviving on your Inv Income

Back