Is it time to call it quits??? Too many injuries and need advice

I see it as simply pointing out issues he sees in his request and his approach to the issues. It's a decent way to get to the bottom of something in a sub-forum, and its far less time consuming.
I would say some of those subtle jabs were unnecessary and take more time away from talking about what he needs to do/who to see.

Why is it that when someone has been shown the flaws in their approach to what they want it's seen as a negative thing?

Getting to the truth, or identifying the true nature of things is how you go about an assessment. Sometimes it can be uncomfortable, but it's always beneficial in the end.
I appreciate what you're saying but I've addressed him in another post which he has chosen to ignore. I've conflicted feelings about the whole thing hence the manifest confusion. I'm just asking for advice is all but it seems like he wants to argue so I've placed him on ignore. Go see a psychotherapist and group therapy is not exactly showing me my flaws.

It's not. It's the way you say it. Especially to a guy in chronic pain who is ready to call it quits and give up.

The guy needs to see a physiotherapist. No need to take subtle jabs at him.

One thing you're missing is that he sees a physiotherapist and that doesn't seem to be enough for him.

Another thing you're missing is that the problem here is not that he is ready to give up due to chronic pain; the problem is that a) he thinks he already knows what he needs, and b) he admits to not having the discipline to stick to it.

The only things that can help him: a) realise he doesn't know nearly enough and start researching, or b) man up and do what he needs to do.

If he is unable to face facts due to the being in a bad mood due to chronic pain, his best bet is either a reality check or professional psychotherapy help.

Last edited:
rCodFLc.gif

Yes absolutely I think you can treat this on your own. But I think you should go see a doc and get a full comprehensive bloodwork done if possible. Aside from that, what exactly hurts? Are you in pain all the time? Only when lifting? What exercises hurt and where?
I haven't been to the gym in almost a year, reason being is that any exercise involving the knees will immediately hurt. Now it's at a stage where even if I walk it can hurt ; It's not unbearable pain and it only occurs a few times a week but definitely worsens during cold weather.

Re shoulders (rotator cuff tear) - since the PRP and laying off the gym the pain has almost gone. The pain would stretch all the way down from my shoulders through to my biceps and into to my hands. I've improved my posture and have been lying down on a towel where I can. A few months ago I tried theraband exercises but they hurt the following day so I stopped.

I still feel pain in the shoulder region (supraspinatus) even though I'm not partaking in any activity. Again, it's bearable pain and would definitely worsen if I hit the gym. Any exercise will almost immediately lead to pain. Weird thing is my range of motion is good.

Edit: I have an appointment with the Orthopaedic surgeon to arrange an MRI to see if there has been any progress with the PRP which I'm doubtful of. If a theraband is causing pain then obviously there has been no progress.

I haven't been to the gym in almost a year, reason being is that any exercise involving the knees will immediately hurt. Now it's at a stage where even if I walk it can hurt ; It's not unbearable pain and it only occurs a few times a week but definitely worsens during cold weather.

Re shoulders (rotator cuff tear) - since the PRP and laying off the gym the pain has almost gone. The pain would stretch all the way down from my shoulders through to my biceps and into to my hands. I've improved my posture and have been lying down on a towel where I can. A few months ago I tried theraband exercises but they hurt the following day so I stopped.

I still feel pain in the shoulder region (supraspinatus) even though I'm not partaking in any activity. Again, it's bearable pain and would definitely worsen if I hit the gym. Any exercise will almost immediately lead to pain. Weird thing is my range of motion is good.

Edit: I have an appointment with the Orthopaedic surgeon to arrange an MRI to see if there has been any progress with the PRP which I'm doubtful of. If a theraband is causing pain then obviously there has been no progress.
There is a lot to unwrap here. The best advice I can give is to work on the following, in the following order:
-Thoracic extension. This is essential. If the curve of your thoracic spine is off then the scapula wont rest on the rib cage properly. Since the glenoid joint itself is a part of the scapula any disorientation of it will cause unnecessary trauma to the supraspinatus, bicepts tendon origin, labrum, etc. So work on a foam roller to improve thoracic extension.
-After doing that for a while work on creating balance in the muscles of the shoulder girdle. 9 times out of 10 its tight upper traps and levator scapula that is the problem. You'll want to use massage (self massage is fine) to loosen those muscles and use exercises to strengthen the lower traps, mid traps, and serratus.
-Find as many upper body exercises as you can that do not cause pain and do only those. Getting things moving again pain free is important and after a while you can expand the exercises to include ones that were once painful. An example of this is I used to have horrible shoulder pain. I could barely do any upper body stuff. I started doing pronated arm curls, seated cable rows, serratus pushes (scapular protraction), isometric holds on the dip bar, lower back extensions, leg work, and very very light preacher curls and scaption lateral raises. After a while I was able to do a full upper body regimen.
-For the knee pain, start to stretch your hamstrings, calves, and glutes aggressively.
-Work on strengthening the tibialis anterior muscle.
-Work on hip flexion with the knee locked out. Resistance can be applied at the ankle. This puts the quad in a contracted position and works it isometrically.
-This will help the pain with the knee cap.
-Ice the patella area whenever you have pain.
You are basically going to have to become an expert just to implement what ive outlined here but this will kinda lead you in the right direction.

There is a lot to unwrap here. The best advice I can give is to work on the following, in the following order:
-Thoracic extension. This is essential. If the curve of your thoracic spine is off then the scapula wont rest on the rib cage properly. Since the glenoid joint itself is a part of the scapula any disorientation of it will cause unnecessary trauma to the supraspinatus, bicepts tendon origin, labrum, etc. So work on a foam roller to improve thoracic extension.
-After doing that for a while work on creating balance in the muscles of the shoulder girdle. 9 times out of 10 its tight upper traps and levator scapula that is the problem. You'll want to use massage (self massage is fine) to loosen those muscles and use exercises to strengthen the lower traps, mid traps, and serratus.
-Find as many upper body exercises as you can that do not cause pain and do only those. Getting things moving again pain free is important and after a while you can expand the exercises to include ones that were once painful. An example of this is I used to have horrible shoulder pain. I could barely do any upper body stuff. I started doing pronated arm curls, seated cable rows, serratus pushes (scapular protraction), isometric holds on the dip bar, lower back extensions, leg work, and very very light preacher curls and scaption lateral raises. After a while I was able to do a full upper body regimen.
-For the knee pain, start to stretch your hamstrings, calves, and glutes aggressively.
-Work on strengthening the tibialis anterior muscle.
-Work on hip flexion with the knee locked out. Resistance can be applied at the ankle. This puts the quad in a contracted position and works it isometrically.
-This will help the pain with the knee cap.
-Ice the patella area whenever you have pain.
You are basically going to have to become an expert just to implement what ive outlined here but this will kinda lead you in the right direction.
Really appreciate this advice, bro. It has given me some confidence and will research further.

I think sitting is just a killer for mankind. It's the root cause for many problems. It's better if you're up moving around.

My knees have been an issue for the past 20 years. Patella baha, bursitis, femoral syndrome, patella tendinitis etc etc.

Nothing has helped them more than 2 things:

1: doing progressively more with them using proper support. I strap the shit out of them, wear knee braces, anti inflammatories. I choose lifting that doesn't cause too much pain. Trap bar deadlift is a favourite right now. They hurt less when I was a kickboxer than ever before.

2: posture. Feet rolled in, knees in, anterior pelvic tilt. Addressing all of this is a big improvement.

I'm now starting to seriously address muscle imbalances.

1: doing progressively more with them using proper support. I strap the shit out of them, wear knee braces, anti inflammatories..
Is this only during exercise ? Thanks for your post.

Strapping your knees may keep the patella from gliding the way it should and it may cause more pain later. I'm not a big fan of knee straps.
Then exclusively for exercise would be your advice?

Unless you are a powerlifter I'd try to stay away from tightly strapping knees. It's working for Phlog, but I don't know if that's a good idea for most athletes to strap that patella down into the knee more forcefully. It's gonna not let is glide over the joint as easily.

If you have patella femoral pain, you probably need that kneecap to track more medially, but I'm not sure that you want it forced more into the knee joint. It might feel better and stronger during the exercise, but what's it gonna do long term or how's it gonna feel later? For Phlog it works, but it may make your patella femoral pain worse.

Phlog is right on with posture though.

Unless you are a powerlifter I'd try to stay away from tightly strapping knees. It's working for Phlog, but I don't know if that's a good idea for most athletes to strap that patella down into the knee more forcefully. It's gonna not let is glide over the joint as easily.

If you have patella femoral pain, you probably need that kneecap to track more medially, but I'm not sure that you want it forced more into the knee joint.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm seeing the ortho surgeon this weekend and will raise this issue.

Strapping your knees may keep the patella from gliding the way it should and it may cause more pain later. I'm not a big fan of knee straps.

Yeah during exercise different ways depending on what I'm doing.

For football I use shock doctor extreme knee supports, for lifting I use some neoprene sleeves and I use straps just to get some more compression around the O ring that sits on the patella. I also sometimes use a patella tendon strap underneath. It almost all varies depending on what the current issues are and what I'm doing on them plus intensity of training at the time.

The detail probably doesn't apply to you, I'd suggest more a process of discovery, buying various solutions and trying them with a consistent stimulus then grading the results.

It's fucking annoying that posture isn't part of the curriculum at school. Everyone should have to be analysed and shit fixed. I'd be a next level monster if it weren't for having to figure all this shit out myself. At least ny kids will know.

Yeah during exercise different ways depending on what I'm doing.

For football I use shock doctor extreme knee supports, for lifting I use some neoprene sleeves and I use straps just to get some more compression around the O ring that sits on the patella. I also sometimes use a patella tendon strap underneath. It almost all varies depending on what the current issues are and what I'm doing on them plus intensity of training at the time.

The detail probably doesn't apply to you, I'd suggest more a process of discovery, buying various solutions and trying them with a consistent stimulus then grading the results.

It's fucking annoying that posture isn't part of the curriculum at school. Everyone should have to be analysed and shit fixed. I'd be a next level monster if it weren't for having to figure all this shit out myself. At least ny kids will know.
I've seen some old books and videos about how our parents and grandparents were taught posture, balance, coordination etc in early elementary education. They don't care about it now. They care about that standardized test score. And who cares if that it's unhealthy to keep these kids sitting down at a desk for hours in a day.

Not that our administrators and teachers are bad people, they aren't, but we've lost some of what we had.

I strap the shit out of them, wear knee braces, anti inflammatories.

I'd be really cautious about that last one. I'm not saying that anti-inflammatories don't have a role to play, but there's enough evidence of potential adverse health effects that different medical groups have advocated that ibuprofen be classified as a controlled substance.

I'll use ibuprofen in response to specific injuries, for specific periods of time, but I personally wouldn't want it to be a regular part of my lifting the way straps or braces might be.

I'd be really cautious about that last one. I'm not saying that anti-inflammatories don't have a role to play, but there's enough evidence of potential adverse health effects that different medical groups have advocated that ibuprofen be classified as a controlled substance.

I'll use ibuprofen in response to specific injuries, for specific periods of time, but I personally wouldn't want it to be a regular part of my lifting the way straps or braces might be.

Yeah, I've dialled em back on the basis of evidence. They're only for when things are bad and relief is necessary to function. They're not a regular addition. I should have said that all the protective methods I mentioned are used when appropriate rather than everytime. The when can only be discovered by the individual as a result of the experience.

Back