Is it weird I literally don't want to say a word to anyone at work?

I don't like coworkers who never talk. We're here to work, but that doesn't mean we can't have some fun within the circumstances.

Not weird so much as you blowing an opportunity to build work relationships.

Also once you build a relationship with someone it frees you up to speak more openly around them. I wouldn't dare to make sexually themed comments around women I barely know. My female friends are another story.

Last edited:
Not weird so much as you blowing an opportunity to build work relationships.

Also once you build a relationship with someone it frees you up to speak more openly around them. I wouldn't dare to make sexually themed comments around women I barely know. My female friends are another story.

Not really. Barring getting g to know someone all the way at the top of something, it's all based on seniority when it comes to getting g a position. Course there's a little bleed and stuff, but it's pretty consistent in that sense.

There's also a lot of people at work who only speak French, which I'm proficient and could have a formal debate in, but don't get slang and shooting the shit type stuff.

Not really. Barring getting g to know someone all the way at the top of something, it's all based on seniority when it comes to getting g a position. Course there's a little bleed and stuff, but it's pretty consistent in that sense.

There's also a lot of people at work who only speak French, which I'm proficient and could have a formal debate in, but don't get slang and shooting the shit type stuff.

I highly doubt that's true. At the end of the day, real people are making the decision who gets promoted, who gets a raise, who gets an opportunity. As an employee it's your job to make those people like you and think you are a valuable member of the team.

Even if it doesn't lead to an opportunity in this job, it can lead to an opportunity elsewhere. If people you've befriended leave their position and go somewhere else, now you've got friends at other places. Willing to recommend you.

If you never socialize with these people you could be missing out on major opportunities. Maybe not now, or in a month, but down the road. If you got fired right now you'd have no professional relationships and no one who cared.

Perfectly normal to me glad to see there's more of us around. Unfortunately I work in an open work environment and people are constantly forcing me to talk in front of everyone. I hate it. I would be perfectly fine sitting in that room the entire week without talking to anyone.

Back