Is it worth is for females to pursue kickboxing?

Estelita Scott

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I started training for kickboxing last year October. I've done two local tournaments.

The problem is that as a female and flyweight, it's hard to find opponents.

I live in Africa.

Is there a career for me in this or not?

Should I rather just go straight into other areas in the industry?

Should I just accept that this is just a hobby?

I know nothing about a Kickboxing scene in Africa, so I'd imagine if you wanted to make a career out of it you would need to travel abroad. Still, even at the peak level for women's Kickboxing I don't believe it pays incredibly well so you would have to do it out of passion. You may be better off going the MMA route, or plan to transition into it. A lot of women Kickboxers have made it into the UFC.

I think there's a lot of money to be made at WMMA and the same can't be said about women's kickboxing, and considering the WMMA skill level when it comes to striking, it's probably easier to make money as a woman.
If you're really athletic, you have a enormous advantage already.

So it really depends on how you view grappling as a whole.

I also feel like the best idea is to talk with female fighters themselves, kickboxers, to see what is their opinion, maybe with some smaller promoters.

Unless you are the best of the best, you need to have full-time/part-time jobs like teaching classes/being instagram models.
Even if you are really talented, you need to also be marketable for promoters to push you due to the decentralised nature of the sport.
Even in WMMA, the fighters outside UFC need to do other jobs to make a living.

But I mean, if you are really passionate about it then talk to people in the industry like heads of your gym or promoters in your area and ask their opinions.

Have you checked out Sylvie the Muay Thai girl? She moved to Thailand and fights pretty much every week. Of course the financial side of things will be difficult. I would recommend MMA but all the big stars train in America so you would be moving anyways.

Sylvie mainly makes a living thanks to Patreon though. She has a niche point in being a blogger,
writes feminist articles and husbands supporting her full-time.
Also, fight purse for female fighters in Thailand is peanut even compared to male fighters in Thailand.

I started training for kickboxing last year October. I've done two local tournaments.

The problem is that as a female and flyweight, it's hard to find opponents.

I live in Africa.

Is there a career for me in this or not?

Should I rather just go straight into other areas in the industry?

Should I just accept that this is just a hobby?

if $$$ is what your chasing. Go EFC with Richie Quan of FFM.

Guys and gals thanks so much for replying to my post. I am so sorry that I didn't reply earlier. I didn't receive any notifications in my mail regarding this post. I really regret it.

Thank you for clarifying things about kickboxing for ladies for me. It is a little sad that women don't really succeed much in sports in general the way men do. But, I guess it's just the way things are. Other women won't support kickboxing because it's not quite girly enough. So, we can't really rely on women to be fans or supporters.

This thread has helped me find answers to some questions that arise when I evaluate kickboxing. I'd hate to give up on kickboxing completely, because I really love the game. The only problem is that with so few kickboxing women, there are usually no contenders especially in my weight class. I also feel that if I can't make a living off it, I should probably not let my face get ruined over it. I'll try coaching and maybe compete once in a while.

Have you checked out Sylvie the Muay Thai girl? She moved to Thailand and fights pretty much every week. Of course the financial side of things will be difficult. I would recommend MMA but all the big stars train in America so you would be moving anyways.
I actually like her. I saw her on a Muay Thai Guy Video a few months back. I really enjoyed her talk on attitude in the ring. She was talking about looking brave even if you get badly cut. I love her personality. That's why I remember her even after only watching one of her videos.

I think the muay thai guy people are very nice and helpful. Plus they're entertaining too.

To be fair, most men don't make a living off Kickboxing either, outside of the elite guys. Their are more opportunities for them however.

Back