Is Jones the only A level athlete in MMA?

So Jon misses a dunk from a pretty ambitious position in a sport he doesn't train in and it makes him a C-level athlete?

Ok people. Grow the fuck up. This A level athlete shit has run it's course a long time ago. First of all, how the fuck do you know if a fighter is an "A level athlete" just by watching the fights. Yeah you can see their strength, speed, flexibility, athleticism and stamina but only for things that are required in MMA.

How does having a 40 inch vertical help you become a better fighter? How does beating Usain Bolt in a foot race help you beat Jon Jones in a fight? My point is that it is plain dumb to compare our atheletes in MMA to athletes in other sports because they train their bodies to do different things. Cmon sherdog, I know it's a lot to ask but please be just a little bit smarter.

So yes a guy like GSP or Cain Valesquez would be considered A level athletes for MMA

Mma basically has poverty D level athletes with jones being the exception.

For fucks sake. What were all the NCAA D1 wrestlers that joined MMA- D level athletes? many of which get beat due to other MMA fighters athletic talents?

He isn't an "A-level" athlete.

He's a fighter.

I'd rather have an athletic fighter than an athlete who fights in MMA

This line of thinking is so stupid. Jones missing a dunk means absolutely jack shit about his ability to destroy opponents inside the cage. Consequently a basketball player who never misses a dunk could step inside the cage and get destroyed by Roy Nelson.

Shouldn't you judge athletes by how they perform in their own sport instead of assigning them some arbitrary grade based on how well they dunk?

Last edited:
DC was an olympian and sub a level jones dismantled him off a layoff.

Yeah in 2004...before Jon Jones even started his MMA career.

Despite Jones not excelling athletically at a college level, I still rate him as the one of the greatest athletes the sports ever seen...MMA has plenty of athletes but to me the super freak athletes that stick out in history are probably Romero, Randleman, Brock.

OSP use to play for the Tennessee Volunteers and Matt Matrione use to play in the NFL.

OSP use to play for the Tennessee Volunteers and Matt Matrione use to play in the NFL.
Also, Mitrione saw actual playing time in the NFL. Unlike Schaub, he wasn't there solely to occupy a spot in the sidelines during games. And seeing authentic playing time in the NFL places you in the top fraction of a percent of football players.

No, theres olympians that compete in MMA
But wait Olympians don't give big pay days like NBA or NFL players how could they possibly be A- level athletes?

It's impossible to be an A-level athlete unless you're getting milliions of dollars a year/fight. Their bank accounts say otherwise.

No way an Olympic wrestler or gymnast is an A-level athlete, they can't even dunk a basketball or run a football in for a touchdown.

An Olympic wrestler can't even use any of their skills in a real fight unlike NBA and NFL players!

/ Sarcasm

When has there ever been a basketball and hoop inside an mma cage?

Dunking a basketball is not in anyway a gold standard for determining an A-level athlete.

Cmon you're better than that.

wuts the criteria for determing whos "A" level?

This obsession with "A level athletes". What even constitutes being an "A level athlete? And no - playing in the NFL or the NBA does not make you one.

A level?!?! LMAO Dude isn't even C level
2gt3g5v_jpg.gif

Seem like he has very good elevation to me.

Hint: if you give those basketball and football players a raquet for the first time and tell them to hit a tennis ball, they would look like idiots.
And if you put them into mma they would look like this

I cannot fathom how people still bang on about this "A Level" athlete bullshit. It's normally Americans with an incredibly over-inflated opinion of NBA and NFL players.

DC is 40 year old with half a foot difference in height and one foot difference foot in reach from Jones. I'm a fan of neither but DC is a much better P4P fighter. We will see how good Jon is when he fights Stipe, Overeem, Werdum and other men of his own size. It is really hard to speak on such things when he has only fought relative midgets and guys he should be two weight classes above.

THIS IS Very Accurate lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back