Is Jordan B Peterson's new website idea an atrocious one or reasonable one?

The feminist.

Didn't you say you got pulled into feminist studies by an ex? And that led to your hatred for people who actually agree with you on all relevant policy issues?

Nobody forced me into it. I thought I would take some feminist classes to see what all the fuss was about and it was a huge mistake. I have had a strong hatred for feminism and identity politics ever since.

The other book you are referring to in your previous post is the Closing of the American Mind by Allen Bloom?

Have you ever read anything by Christopher Lasch?

51GZA-eDvhL._SX320_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Nobody forced me into it. I thought I would take some feminist classes to see what all the fuss was about and it was a huge mistake. I have had a strong hatred for feminism and identity politics ever since.

Well, we've been over this. You're a bigger proponent of identity politics than almost anyone here (and in the top 1% in the population, I'd guess). Supporting politicians whose policy agenda you oppose is exactly what identity politics is about.

The other book you are referring to in your previous post is the Closing of the American Mind by Allen Bloom?

Correct (though it's "Allan"). Not endorsing or anything, but at the time I read it, it was very eye-opening and thought-provoking.

And I'll check that other rec. You should check out Peter Lawler:

http://www.theimaginativeconservative.org/category/senior-contributors/peter-lawler

I'm not sure if it's on or off topic at this point, but does anyone have any information as to whether this website is actually being developed? I've seen conflicting information.

Atlas Shrugged??

DP isn't a right-winger in terms of his general thinking. Just really hates a subset of campus feminists, which turns him against the whole left.

That's a general thing in America, too. A big chunk of Republican voters (a plurality) opposes the party's economic policy but votes on racial/cultural issues or because they believe Democrats are corrupt, evil monsters or support policy that they don't actually support, like open borders or gun confiscation.

I'm not sure if it's on or off topic at this point, but does anyone have any information as to whether this website is actually being developed? I've seen conflicting information.

A few days ago, he created a poll asking his subscribers whether a website of this sort would be of interest to anybody. Since the response was not overly supportive (from his own subscribers), he decided to scratch the idea as being too "polarizing".

The "plan" never even reached the development stage.

Isn't it mostly those on the far left that are dictating this?

Where would you put Peterson?

In his private time? Probably a libertarian-leaning Democrat. Think Clinton without the hawkishness and apathy towards the security state.

In his public image? Firmly to the right.

What's funny is that far-left types in America sometimes use "neoliberal" as a kind of derogatory term for the pro-capitalist left. Support for a market-based economy is a central tenet of liberalism, but post-market redistribution and various regulations is not inconsistent with a market-based economy. Mention that because one of the exiled hive-minders was insistent that support for the ACA was not liberal.

Pro-capitalism and neoliberalism are not synonymous. And neoliberalism need not necessarily be a modification to liberalism so much as a tangential or supplementary ideology in furtherance of liberal aims. To imply that a market-based economy necessitates neoliberal extraction of wealth, foreign and domestic, and political dominance of shareholder interests is inaccurate.

Also, please tell me that Atlas Shrugged is not one of your favorite or most influential books...

Also, please tell me that Atlas Shrugged is not one of your favorite or most influential books...

No. I've slogged through it, but I found it to be horribly written and juvenile.

As I said, DP guessed correctly, and I'm not necessarily endorsing tCotAM either. Just saying that when I read it, it made a big impression and was very influential to me (not that it would necessarily have the same impact if I read it at another time or that it would have the same impact on someone else--that's a very personal list).

Well, we've been over this. You're a bigger proponent of identity politics than almost anyone here (and in the top 1% in the population, I'd guess). Supporting politicians whose policy agenda you oppose is exactly what identity politics is about.

Correct (though it's "Allan"). Not endorsing or anything, but at the time I read it, it was very eye-opening and thought-provoking.

And I'll check that other rec. You should check out Peter Lawler:

http://www.theimaginativeconservative.org/category/senior-contributors/peter-lawler

I have never voted for Canada's Conservative Party (I will in 2019 though). I have only voted either Green or NDP. Our politics and outlook on things are probably closer than either of us would care to admit.

You read articles from the ImaginativeConservative? I go to that site all of the time.

I am going to read this article by Peter Lawler first:

What Can the Puritans Teach Us about Philanthropy?

DP isn't a right-winger in terms of his general thinking. Just really hates a subset of campus feminists, which turns him against the whole left.

That's a general thing in America, too. A big chunk of Republican voters (a plurality) opposes the party's economic policy but votes on racial/cultural issues or because they believe Democrats are corrupt, evil monsters or support policy that they don't actually support, like open borders or gun confiscation.

The short essay Up From Liberalism (1959) by Richard Weaver is what turned me away from leftism:

You can read it for free here: http://www.unz.org/Pub/ModernAge-1959q1-00021

So it was basically 'yelp' for people who may or may not want to avoid firmly left professors and their rhetoric. Or, at least get a sense of the severity of their leftist views. What's wrong with that?

So it was basically 'yelp' for people who may or may not want to avoid firmly left professors and their rhetoric. Or, at least get a sense of the severity of their leftist views. What's wrong with that?

According to the nearly incoherently angry people telling me about it online, it was a continuation of violence against professors and students who have been recently targeted (I assume with violence?) by the alt-right. Also something about a death threat at UofT, and Peterson being a bigot and such.

According to the nearly incoherently angry people telling me about it online, it was a continuation of violence against professors and students who have been recently targeted (I assume with violence?) by the alt-right. Also something about a death threat at UofT, and Peterson being a bigot and such.

As an Alumnus of UofT -- it's hilarious that any of the mass left coalition that attend / teach there would worry about being violently targeted. Again, it's the equivalent of white people in Greenwich being on edge due to the notion of genocide against them.

Last edited:
Possible top 5 most influential book for me (another one would be another you've praised). Surprising that you'd think so, though.

Guess you gotta work out your hatred for your ex for a while before joining humanity.

Atlas Shrugged??
Don't be silly, when anyone refers to the top 5 most influential books this one always cracks the list.

51HIu-hYQAL.jpg

Last edited:
1) Pageau is wrong when he says that Weinstein committed a "performative contradiction". It's easy to literally insert a set of axioms that define the hierarchy of truth into what Weinstein said, in which case it's well defined and not contradictory.

2) Peterson is wrong when he claims that Weinstein conflates scientific truth and pragmatic truth. It's very obvious that the examples of heaven and reincarnation that Weinstein used were just that: examples, and could have been replaced by a large number of other examples so that Peterson's complaint about entangling it with the Darwinian process is entirely meaningless. Weinstein correctly points out that science can internally sort veracity, whereas no "metaphorical truth" system can do the same with respect to each other.

3) Peterson's later example with the KGB scientist blatantly mangles what words mean with regards to "ethical truth" superseding scientific truth. Something being determinable as true and that thing being determinable as true in an ethical way, for some definition of ethical, are orthogonal considerations. Sorting them with respect to each other is meaningless, and any set of axioms that try to do so will necessarily invoke an internal contradiction.

That's as far as I made it (6:25 or so). If this is the best Peterson can do, he really is not worth my time. Weinstein handled them, although he made a mistake when he accepted Pageau's initial argument. If he was a bit sharper, he would've made the same rebuttal I did.

Very good observations, an exquisitely tight cortex Mr Brothir, quite a delicious specimen you are.

1 - Weinstein agrees with Jordan on investigating religions to distill philosphical tools that can be used as a moral framework using the terminology "Wisdom" instead of a type of truth. Where they differ is in the values of moral utility to govern science or vice versa. Weinstein and Sam Harris are saying science will not only solve all our problems but also provide us with the ethical framework that we already distilled from wisdom, it is valued more and is at the top of the hierarchy wherein objective truth supersedes the moral framework we have built upon for centuries.

2- If you have time to dig into this you should check out the second talk Jordan and Harris had on Sam Harris's Podcast, they flesh out your conundrum here.

It is quite an interesting discussion here on the concept of truth where those who usually disagree with Jordan on this particular topic follow a dichotomy of ideas that aggregate themselves with conviction. His fans seem to enjoy the ontological approach, the abstract thinking of inquiry to a more holistic journey on ideas so conceptualization this form of "Wisdom" where moral framework governs the trajectory of objective truth is the most appealing approach towards a less perditious future of man.

What he says lines up with the terminology that is used in the Mitrokhin Archive, and other KGB sources, to describe subversive activity, as utilized by the Soviet regime to further its interests.

"On the other hand -- and this is the other side of the Soviet intelligence, very important: perhaps I would describe it as the heart and soul of the Soviet intelligence -- was subversion. Not intelligence collection, but subversion: active measures to weaken the West, to drive wedges in the Western community alliances of all sorts, particularly NATO, to sow discord among allies, to weaken the United States in the eyes of the people of Europe, Asia, Africa, Latin America, and thus to prepare ground in case the war really occurs. To make America more vulnerable to the anger and distrust of other peoples.

In that sense, the Soviet intelligence [was] really unparalleled. ... The [KGB] programs -- which would run all sorts of congresses, peace congresses, youth congresses, festivals, women's movements, trade union movements, campaigns against U.S. missiles in Europe, campaigns against neutron weapons, allegations that AIDS ... was invented by the CIA ... all sorts of forgeries and faked material -- [were] targeted at politicians, the academic community, at [the] public at large. ...

It was really a worldwide campaign, often not only sponsored and funded, but conducted and manipulated by the KGB. And this was again part and parcel of this campaign to weaken [the] military, economic and psychological climate in the West."

https://web.archive.org/web/2007020...IALS/cold.war/episodes/21/interviews/kalugin/

It seems like you're hell-bent on treating a well-established historical fact as a "right-wing fringe conspiracy" so I don't think there's much discussion to be had over the subject.

Hardly. No discussion to be had because you're clearly a CTer. As indicated by your linking of Peterson's "cultural marxism" diatribes to Yuri's pronouncements of doom.
The rise of "cultural marxism" as a right-wing fringe conspiracy is all there and documented, along with it's various strains from Lind and the LaRouche movement.
There's no connection between the Soviet actions as listed in Mitrokhin archive and Yuri's assertions about the fall of the "West" (his timeline being completely wrong) other than his use of terminology.
The actual actions taken in the Mitrokhin archive do not represent the picture Yuri paints, let alone the even broader allegations of "Cultural Marxism". They show a much more limited power, involvement, influence and effect. Including a lack of industriousness from KGB agents in the West (such as "Ref" or "Kardinal").
What's more we've seen the development of the Russian "soft power" method, and that they are just as happy using nationalist and ultranationalists as they were trade unionists or the like. Ideology plays little role in their pushing at the cracks, and yes the promotion of fake news has taken a substantially different turn with the internet.
The "Cultural Marxism" conspiracy theory replaces Soviet control with the idea of a (predominantly Jewish) cabal who have supposedly been responsible for everything Conservatives hate in the culture war, from environmentalism through to feminism, as a result of the escape of the Institute for Social Research from Nazi Germany.
This isn't even a theory about Soviet/Russian "soft power" (and it should be noted that the Mitrokhin Archive illustrates the extent to which Communism was anti-Zionist, and it's well known that the KGB distributed anti-semitic material as propaganda).
Peterson has jettisoned a lot of the baggage, and seems to use "cultural marxism" as a pejorative interchangeable with postmodernism, but it's pretty obvious that he's chosen it because of it's appeal within his target audience (the long history of a persecution complex from "paleoconservatives" and now the "alt-right" in the broadest sense).

2- If you have time to dig into this you should check out the second talk Jordan and Harris had on Sam Harris's Podcast, they flesh out your conundrum here.

This is one thing that really annoys me about you. You seem to insist on there being a lack of clarity on the issue (and you've done this in the past as well) on my part. This literally is not a conundrum to me. The entire 13 minutes of that discussion is entirely trivial to me. I skipped to the very end after I made the last post (12:16), and heard Weinstein say "(...) how is it not, by just the virtue of the fact that it does something nothing else does (...)" and paused right there. From that fragment of his sentence, I know exactly what his point was, exactly what he was going to say later and that neither Peterson nor Pageau would be able to summon any counter to that.

That entire discussion may as well have been about whether or not water is wet. It really is that simple to me. There is nothing that can confound me, there is nothing that any of those three can teach me about the subject matter, and that's simply it. I am quite well trained in mathematics, computer science and logic, and through that education I have transcended this entire subject matter. That's how, even though I've never heard the term "performative contradiction", when Pageau said that I immediately knew exactly why that argument was false. There is nothing anyone can throw at me regarding this, that I cannot immediately dissect.

It is quite an interesting discussion here on the concept of truth where those who usually disagree with Jordan on this particular topic follow a dichotomy of ideas that aggregate themselves with conviction. His fans seem to enjoy the ontological approach, the abstract thinking of inquiry to a more holistic journey on ideas so conceptualization this form of "Wisdom" where moral framework governs the trajectory of objective truth is the most appealing approach towards a less perditious future of man.

I also think the "we're more holistic about it" argument is blatantly dumb. For instance, I can very easily form a holistic view regarding the science/ethics dichotomy. The analytical power of mathematics makes it very easy to establish a set of axioms that cleanly solves the point about the KGB scientist developing a deadly chemical weapon that Peterson brought up. Like I mentioned in my original post, that being a pursuit of science and that being an ethical pursuit of science are orthogonal. Pick one.

When you have, it's easy to backtrack from there into a set of axioms that justifies the one you picked. Obviously, Sam Harris and people who hold similar positions to him are not truly confused about it, but many of them lack the training in formal logic that gives them the tools to do just that. Thenceforth arrives the slightly confused "science can justify itself and will solve everything" position. I don't suffer from that limitation, and so I propose a more clear variant: "It is entirely possible, and quite easy, to form a set of axioms wherein scientific pursuit is well defined and constrained by ethical considerations, and a subset of those same axioms can also be used to decisively answer a whole range of moral questions regardless of whether or not they pertain to science specifically". Without internal contradictions, of course.

Back