Is Jordan B Peterson's new website idea an atrocious one or reasonable one?

His project is to convince students to avoid classes he thinks turns people into sjws?

Sounds dumb.

I don't see the problem here. Just some whiny pussies worried about their jobs. His site sounds like if made a program to search all of the online restaurant menus and summarize the leanings of their content so that perspective diners could make an informed decision. But I could have misread the article.

Another balanced article from the CBC...

If anyone is familiar with academia in Canada, this is a very good idea. Most parents don't know what they're signing up their kids for, and a lot of the social sciences are racist cesspools. Shine a light on these cockroaches, they're only creating division and animosity in the country where you could argue that racial harmony was achieved.

It is always going to be very rare that these things are reported on in a balanced way

"The proposed website has created a climate of fear and intimidation"

lol this line is taken directly out of a can, and is always trotted out by postmodernists. Victimology 101. I think I have lost count how many times I have seen that 'climate of fear of intimidation' line used it just makes me laugh now.

It's always painful to see a trained psychologist who is so nakedly pathological. This guy's megalomania is off the charts. Web celebrity and neckbeard worship are powerful intoxicants I guess.

It is always going to be very rare that these things are reported on in a balanced way

"The proposed website has created a climate of fear and intimidation"

lol this line is taken directly out of a can, and is always trotted out by postmodernists. Victimology 101.

You nailed it, it's the same formula over and over- when in doubt, claim victim status. It's beyond transparent, and hopefully this is the turning point.

When someone is demanding gov't action of any kind in order to battle ideas and concepts they don't like, they've lost and need to make like Robert E Lee at the end of the Civil War and hand their battle sword in.

I would say that separates Peterson from some of his opponents. As long as he is "resisting" his ideological rivals through individual actions, I do not really care what sort of tactics he employs. Everybody has a different belief on what is the best way to accomplish their goals. Some believe in fighting fire with fire, some believe in compromise. But he will lose any deemed moral high-ground, the moment he begins to believe that the state should enforce his type of thinking.

So far he hasn't resorted to such intellectual laziness, from what I've seen.

Here is a write up of American schools that teach creationism. Definitely a problem, to be sure, but doesn't seem to be as widespread as the militant critics think, considering there are many thousands of public and private schools in the US. And this is Slate so it's possible this report exaggerates it somewhat. Even at the end they note that the report refers to schools allowed to teach it, not necessariyl those that do. Given the state of American education, protesting consistently about creationism is looking at a house overrun with giant hornets, yellowjackets, wasps, bees, scorpions and spiders and centipedes in the walls and protesting over a few moths fluttering in the window.
http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...ed_where_tax_money_supports_alternatives.html

Peterson sees the issues from a Canadian perspective anyway. If he had grown up in America, as a somewhat liberal-minded, moderate man, he'd probably be more resistant to the idea of religious conservatism. But since Canada is almost devoid of any type of hard-line conservatism or fundamentalist religiosity, he has come to see the "right" as a more reasonable alternative to the Canadian "left", which has strayed away further and further from the center.

Another balanced article from the CBC...

If anyone is familiar with academia in Canada, this is a very good idea. Most parents don't know what they're signing up their kids for, and a lot of the social sciences are racist cesspools. Shine a light on these cockroaches, they're only creating division and animosity in the country where you could argue that racial harmony was achieved.

Canadian parents enrol their kids in Uni? Aren't they capable of doing it themselves?

His project is to convince students to avoid classes he thinks turns people into sjws?

Sounds dumb.
"Avoid thoughts and ideas of professors that I have determined you should disagree with".

something something safespace marxists post modernism echo chamber something something.

Canadian parents enroll their kids in Uni? Aren't they capable of doing it themselves?

Most parents take an active role in helping their kids enroll, and often help mitigate the costs. And most would want to know if they're going to be taught racist garbage in the guise of social justice.

I would say that separates Peterson from some of his opponents. As long as he is "resisting" his ideological rivals through individual actions, I do not really care what sort of tactics he employs. Everybody has a different belief on what is the best way to accomplish their goals. Some believe in fighting fire with fire, some believe in compromise. But he will lose any deemed moral high-ground, the moment he begins to believe that the state should enforce his type of thinking.

So far he hasn't resorted to such intellectual laziness, from what I've seen.

I also fear that he will succumb to the temptation of trying to turn to state sponsored methods and effectively becoming the monster he's fighting. In Canada, the temptation is stronger since Canadians as a country believe in substantially more gov't involvement in public and cultural affairs than Americans. I'm glad he's resisted giving in so far.

Peterson sees the issues from a Canadian perspective anyway. If he had grown up in America, as a somewhat liberal-minded, moderate man, he'd probably be more resistant to the idea of religious conservatism. But since Canada is almost devoid of any type of hard-line conservatism or fundamentalist religiosity, he has come to see the "right" as a more reasonable alternative to the Canadian "left", which has strayed away further and further from the center.

I actually hadn't considered that much the extent that living in Canada shaped his views on religiosity. Someone in Canada, Western Europe or for that matter a less religious and more academic oriented region of America may be in a situation where their outlook isn't molded by overexposure to religious literalism and Puritanism. Those who get overexposed to religious excesses and regressive left excesses may end up alienated enough with both sides to become firebrands when it comes to both of them. Peterson, not having the overexposure, may be more inclined to find more religiously based belief sets as something that can still be worked with rather than something which needs to be smashed

Last edited:
I like the intent (reduce enrolment in classes infected with social justice rhetoric), but I think the means (a website that tells you if a certain class is infected or not) will be utterly ineffective. If you plan on avoiding them, it's obvious which classes are social justice-y just by reading their summary, that's not the issue. The problem is a large amount of clueless people who don't know about the rhetoric, or don't disagree with it, therefore they're not interested in avoiding it. It's a much deeper problem to solve.

Most parents take an active role in helping their kids enroll, and often help mitigate the costs. And most would want to know if they're going to be taught racist garbage in the guise of social justice.

What age do they typically start Uni over there?

I think this idea could work if it classified classes based on a spectrum of how liberal or conservative they are as well as how authoritarian or intellectually free they are. The latter spectrum is substantially important since the flitering of classes should first and foremost be based on the extent to which students in a class will be dictated what to think as opposed to being taught how to think. That could be particularly helpful.

What age do they typically start Uni over there?

In my province, it used to be after grade 13 until some years ago, but now it's after grade 12, so the process usually begins at 17.

In my province, it used to be after grade 13 until some years ago, but now it's after grade 12, so the process usually begins at 17.

Hmm. Weird. Sounds the same as here, but parents don't really play any role in enrolment.

Just a site dedicated to warn young people who may not be aware of the leftist lean a class may have. Some kids have no idea about what to expect and this gives them a possible heads up.

I don't see the issue with that. A UofT liberal arts zealot worried about harassment is like a white guy in Greenwich Connecticut worried about white genocide.

I find it so hard to believe that people are so taken by this guy.

He's not even a leader in his field.

His YouTube videos have made your life better?

Lol

I do think that Peterson's model for gaining fame is innovative. He essentially uses his credentials, and not the knowledge acquired in their pursuit, to hollowly pander to uneducated persons.

Back