Is Judo effective in a streetfight?

PedroCassidinho

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'v recently restarted Judo after doing it for maybe a year as a kid but me and my friends have been disagreeing about teh merits of it. I say it would obviously be an advantage in a street fight as it improves you're balance, grip and grappling strength as well as adding various techniques such as throw and submissions etc, i mean i'm a big guy but i got easily threw around at practise by people that werent even trying. They are trying to say taht it is useless because if you go into a fight looking for a throw you will more than likely be caught by a punch and get smashed.

Do you think Judo is a good weapon to have in a street fight?

No way, you should take a rape prevention class instead. That's real fighting.

Of course, mix it with a couple of punches first and then flip them around in the air.

Yes.

There's a thread somewhere on this forum (can't seem to find it now) where a guy harai goshi'd some punk in his store. Has some nice frame by frame pics. He tossed the guy hard and pretty much held him on the ground in kesa. If he wanted to GnP him it would've been easy as hell.

Also figure you're getting tossed around by and trying to toss other Judoka. You'd be suprised how easy people who have never trained can be thrown/tripped/swept. You can also imgagine how bad it would hurt to land on a hard surface with no ukemi.

Yes.

There's a thread somewhere on this forum (can't seem to find it now) where a guy harai goshi'd some punk in his store. Has some nice frame by frame pics. He tossed the guy hard and pretty much held him on the ground in kesa. If he wanted to GnP him it would've been easy as hell.

Also figure you're getting tossed around by and trying to toss other Judoka. You'd be suprised how easy people who have never trained can be thrown/tripped/swept. You can also imgagine how bad it would hurt to land on a hard surface with no ukemi.

Cool, thats basically what i was thinking. Their argument is tht by looking for a throw you leave yourself open to punches but theres obviously ways around that.

judo is more effective in a street fight then bjj. If you don't believe it smack your head on the concrete and let me know how it felt.

Yes, Ive been doing BJJ for a bit over a year, and I can tell you, those judo guys are amazing.

They try to throw you, its so unorthodox and blows my mind. He calls it an uchi mata, but I dont know what that means. I just flop on my back and try to pull X guard. Thats all any BJJer knows how to do. I wish I could spend years learning to do such complicated techniques as an O Goshi like those judoka

Yes, Ive been doing BJJ for a bit over a year, and I can tell you, those judo guys are amazing.

They try to throw you, its so unorthodox and blows my mind. He calls it an uchi mata, but I dont know what that means. I just flop on my back and try to pull X guard. Thats all any BJJer knows how to do. I wish I could spend years learning to do such complicated techniques as an O Goshi like those judoka

I sense sarcasm...

What style of fighter would you least want to fight in the street?
For me it would probably be a judoka. One move and you could be crippled for life.

For me it would probably be a judoka. One move and you could be crippled for life.

For me it would probably be someone armed with a sawed off shotgun ...

That's actually kinda my issue with judo in a streetfight. Not that it's not effective--it is--but that the judoka has little control over how badly the other guy will get injured. One guy might land well, be pumped up on adrenaline, and pop right back up. Another may land poorly and break bones. A third may flail while falling and spike his head on a rock, concrete or snap his neck on a curb and be critically injured or even die from the impact. Sure, proper technique helps ensure good breakfall entry, but a lot still rests on the uke.

Any form of fighting is better than no form of fighting. I don't want to sound ignorant, but striking is generally a basic thing. Anyone knows how to punch, but few know how to throw and submit.
Plus, probably like 90% of street fights end up on the ground in the end anyway, so of course Judo would help.

Any form of fighting is better than no form of fighting. I don't want to sound ignorant, but striking is generally a basic thing. Anyone knows how to punch, but few know how to throw and submit.
Plus, probably like 90% of street fights end up on the ground in the end anyway, so of course Judo would help.

See, this shows how wrong you are.

Go over to bullshido.net and go to their striking forums.

Tell them that everyone knows how to throw a punch, that its common sense.

Tell me how that goes for you.

knocking someone out isn't as easy it it looks (unless we're talking sucker punches here) unless somebody's stupid enough to stick their chin high in the air, I wouldn't worry about your friends opinion if I was you

That's actually kinda my issue with judo in a streetfight. Not that it's not effective--it is--but that the judoka has little control over how badly the other guy will get injured. One guy might land well, be pumped up on adrenaline, and pop right back up. Another may land poorly and break bones. A third may flail while falling and spike his head on a rock, concrete or snap his neck on a curb and be critically injured or even die from the impact. Sure, proper technique helps ensure good breakfall entry, but a lot still rests on the uke.

Amen.

On a side note I think anyone who trains in martial arts should train in Judo. Breakfalls are the most important and practical technique you will learn in any discipline. You don't even need to be in a fight in order to apply them.
Can anyone deny that?

See, this shows how wrong you are.

Go over to bullshido.net and go to their striking forums.

Tell them that everyone knows how to throw a punch, that its common sense.

Tell me how that goes for you.

It is common sense. I've trained martial arts since I was 8, I know proper form in punching, and I realize that most don't, so of course the proper technique isn't common sense, but black kids in the hood that fight like tard asses throw punches. They're not good, but they're punches. IF you took one of them to the ground they wouldn't know what to do.

I guess it's a stretch to say its common sense, but it pretty much is

No offense people, but if you train judo ONLY, then you sure are gonna have problems in grappling against guys who are a bit good at wrestling - especially those who are good at finishing their shots. So if I were you Id mix it up a bit.

Once he gets your leg, and it ends on knees as a scramble... your screwed. Id like judo if it had folkstyle/freestyle wrestling rules, but used a gi.

Whats with all the ippon talk... Id never want to throw somebody down on the concrete and cause possible bleeding in brain, or whatever. Maybe if it was a matter of life or death, which I think I would be able to predict that it will happen and if for some reason I would still get into it and not avoid it, I would preffer a gun. Its not like you cant give your wallet to the drug addict who has a knife and he has his hand on your shoulder, and nobody will shoot you in the head for no reason. Maybe if your a part of some gang or whatever, in which case Id preffer ... again ... a gun, or if I wouldnt be able to get it, why not just carry a knife with yourself, or a small baton?

It's effective against about 95% of the people you will run across, and 100% of the people that are dickish enough to try and fight you.

The other percentage being other trained fighters.

Back