is Krav Maga really effective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Payak

Brown Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
before every Krav Maga addict jumps down my throat, take a minute to think about something.
outside of demonstrations,the gym and seminars, where have you seen krav maga used.
I cant recall ever seeing it used in actual combat.
I have heard the hype and been told again and again about how effective it is.
most arts that really are effective are arts that engage in fairly realistic sports combat, such as boxing or muay thai. you get to test your techniques and the highly intense repetative training really sharpens your skills and make all your moves natural,you also get used to taking a hit.
krav maga appears to have some very effective dirty kick ass techniques, but without very intense,athletic like commitment what do you have.
just another pressured martial artist in a street fight swinging wild like a drunk rock ape.
I am not saying its not effective, but someone at least post proof,a fight,something.

no joke i asked a buddy of mine how he's taught to get out of a standing RNC.

the fucker went straight for the sack!

i think as far as self defense goes its fantastic.

I think they know some BJJ moves like RNC, but Krav teaches nothing about groundwork. My friend and I were sparing once, and every time I got him down he said "if this were real I would go for your eyes or ....".

I guess it hinges on when you plan to use Krav Maga. Like the above said, maybe for self defense it would be cool, but probably not an effective sport background or something you compete in for fun.

How does Krav fare in the standup portion?

no joke i asked a buddy of mine how he's taught to get out of a standing RNC.

the fucker went straight for the sack!

i think as far as self defense goes its fantastic.

lol. Pretty good escape when i think about.
I don't do BJJ but would it be possible to get out of every BJJ hold with some sort of dirty move like that? Eyes, nuts, windpipe and so forth?
I like the fact they only really teach one kick (nut bound) as i've done Muay Thai and in a fight i dont think i'd even think to kick there.

I'm unsure about it also, but i can't argue with the effectiveness of the above technique even if you can't spar it.

lol. Pretty good escape when i think about.
I don't do BJJ but would it be possible to get out of every BJJ hold with some sort of dirty move like that? Eyes, nuts, windpipe and so forth?
You could probably hit someone in the nuts from most holds lol

you don't need any training to squeeze someones nutsack.
my wife has never trained in anything but krabi krabong, if i get her in a RNC she will go for the nuts.
anyone will in the street if the lights are about to go out.

The thing that gets me about Krav Maga is that it is basically every Traditional Martial Art I've ever seen but with a new name and they swear up and down that it is new.

Then they give you these life or death scenarios that statistically no one would have a chance of surviving and they tell you to hit the guy in the nuts, or rake his eyes, etc. Basically just shit that you could have told yourself to do without paying for it.

I've taken Krav Maga and it's just not impressive. You'd be better off learning boxing, MT, wrestling, or BJJ and just telling yourself that everyonce in a while, you might have to kick someone in the nuts, poke them in the eye, or run the fuck away.

Can i answer the question with a better question?

How effective is the warrior spirit?

or (ontologically speaking I agree with you.)

The first thing a warrior must do in makes himself invincible? (Sun Tzu)

yellow bamboo works,i saw a practitioner take apart 2 elephants with only one lightning fast energy ball,only a small energy ball to.
anything created by gajah mada must be good,right.
2 elephants,1 ball. pokamon style.

from watching southpark, i believe eric cartman may have studied krav maga, however he calls it roshambo.
kick u in da nuuuts.

I don't know if you have seen the video at the bottom on this page, I feel that the techniques are for the most part very realistic:

Krav Maga for self defense

I agree with you however that you have to spar to get a sense of timing and the get used to the feeling of getting hit.

That's why it would be awsome to combine Muay Thai or Boxing, with Krav Maga.

Its one thing to say that 'under pressure anyone would hit someone in the balls'. But is that true, or would most people freeze up? Without having muscle memory to rely on, would people use the techniques?

I've seen guys in a michelin man type suit for women's self defense courses, surely they could use some sort of padding like that and have people actually practice attacking the groin under pressure so that it becomes natural. Maybe they do that?

I agree with you however that you have to spar to get a sense of timing and the get used to the feeling of getting hit.

Along with the most important aspect of sparring that it creates reflexes against different kinds of attacks. You learn to react instead of think since events that require self-defense usually happen fast.

before every Krav Maga addict jumps down my throat, take a minute to think about something.
outside of demonstrations,the gym and seminars, where have you seen krav maga used.
I cant recall ever seeing it used in actual combat.

How many times have you had a gun pulled on you, or been to Israel? It's a military martial art. it's not made for sports combat.

I'm sure that its effective and everything but it would be better entered with some kind of background in boxing/kickboxing. I sparred with a friend with a background in Krav (they spar and everthing) and I wasnt too impressed. I did some pad work with him, showed him some set ups and tricks and it blew his mind. I'm not great by any means, not even good enough to fight but even guys brand spanking new to sparring in MT gave me more trouble than this guy.

I think it's important to keep in mind that much of the Krav Maga taught in the US is about as authentic or quality as most of the TKD taught in the US. Which is to say, sparring with a guy who learned Krav Maga from a 3 day course in a strip mall is a lot different than going to Israel and learning it from people who actually use it. Just saying

I'm sure that its effective and everything but it would be better entered with some kind of background in boxing/kickboxing. I sparred with a friend with a background in Krav (they spar and everthing) and I wasnt too impressed. I did some pad work with him, showed him some set ups and tricks and it blew his mind. I'm not great by any means, not even good enough to fight but even guys brand spanking new to sparring in MT gave me more trouble than this guy.

Well you have to keep in mind that he could not do many of the techniques because its just friendly sparring. He couldn't kick you in the nuts or put his fingers in your eyes, or bite you etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back