is Krav Maga really effective

Status
Not open for further replies.
So mixed martial arts but deadlier.

This Krav Maga stuff sounds awesome.
Don't mistake me for someone who:

a) trains KM
b) cares that other people train it.

I'm of the opinion that 'self defence training' usually only results in someone learning just enough to get the shit beaten out of them by an aggressor.

I've worked with mentally challenged/drug affected/aggressive people and not once have I had to resort to anything physical, but then again I've had the benefit of learning how to difuse situations with counselling and shit.

Don't mistake me for someone who:

a) trains KM
b) cares that other people train it.

I'm of the opinion that 'self defence training' usually only results in someone learning just enough to get the shit beaten out of them by an aggressor.

I've worked with mentally challenged/drug affected/aggressive people and not once have I had to resort to anything physical, but then again I've had the benefit of learning how to difuse situations with counselling and shit.
Only in the cases of people not understanding the uses of self defense.

KM teaches the use of first trying to diffuse the situation, then fleeing, and as a last resort fighting, from what I've read.

I'm not a KM student but I can't believe we still ask this question on this site. Any martial art o fighting system can be effective on the street and anyone can be ineffective. BJJ works on the street, so does Muay Thai, tkd, boxing and krav Maga

A good krav maga gym will appear very close to a MMA gym, expect for the weapon and group training.

I do agree, after searching online that there are a lot Mc Dojo Krav Schools out there. However, most Israeli MMA fighters have Krav Maga background either in the IDF or though personal education. It is also good to note that there is a growing number of Mc Dojo styled MMA gyms...I remember seeing a few in WI before I started a summer at Duke Roufus' gym in Milwaukee.

I've done Krav Maga for a year back in my home country when i was just getting into martial arts a long time ago.
Jujutsu, Combat Sambo and Krav Maga have one thing in common which is the fact that all of them are taught to armed forces in their respective countries and the main objective is always to disarm and "eliminate" the opponent as soon as possible and with all the way possible therefore its not surprising that Krav Maga includes strikes to the most vulnerable parts of the body such as the throat, groin and etc.The first thing Krav Maga learners are taught is the principle "attack before being attacked" Its also a good way of defending yourself against an armed opponent so it might be somewhat useful in a street fight if you know what youre doing.

I've done Krav Maga for a year back in my home country when i was just getting into martial arts a long time ago.
Jujutsu, Combat Sambo and Krav Maga have one thing in common which is the fact that all of them are taught to armed forces in their respective countries and the main objective is always to disarm and "eliminate" the opponent as soon as possible and with all the way possible therefore its not surprising that Krav Maga includes strikes to the most vulnerable parts of the body such as the throat, groin and etc.The first thing Krav Maga learners are taught is the principle "attack before being attacked" Its also a good way of defending yourself against an armed opponent so it might be somewhat useful in a street fight if you know what youre doing.

Seems like a good way for someone with very few fighting skills to escalate an already dangerous situation

you don't need any training to squeeze someones nutsack.

You dont need any training for punching a guy in the face...

But still.. Training will make you better. Even a jab is a simple thing for a untrained eye

true frode, but i feel that many of these short coarse defence instructor things are forgetting that exact thing and skipping the basics.
so they teach a few moves like the ball grab and say your ready.
every pays feeling happy and leave with a false sense of security.
they need a foundation to build on.

true frode, but i feel that many of these short coarse defence instructor things are forgetting that exact thing and skipping the basics.
so they teach a few moves like the ball grab and say your ready.
every pays feeling happy and leave with a false sense of security.
they need a foundation to build on.

Well that seem to be what people who never have trained KM think. Are there any good reason to why people (like you) think that KM only train you for a few hours, and then tell the people that they are ready for any situation of the streets?

I have never met a serious Krav Maga instructor or practitioner who claim that Krav Maga can make you safe after a few session. Just like any art, it take time to become good in the system.

I agree that it dangerous to give people fake security.. I see this many time. Maybe more in system that got belts

i am not saying all krav maga, i should have pointed that out.
but i have seen many that host 2 day seminars that are concluded with an instructors certificate, you must have seen these, very common.

i am not saying all krav maga, i should have pointed that out.
but i have seen many that host 2 day seminars that are concluded with an instructors certificate, you must have seen these, very common.

i have not. I know of a instructor program for KM. It last 12 days. And IF you pass, you get the lowest instructor degree. And you cant enter the course unless you are a black belt in a full contact striking art, a boxing/kickboxing coach, or have done KM for years.

But i have seen ads for very very short instructorprograms in american martial arts magasines. That promise you a black belt or instructor degree after almost no training.. But that is for any style.. Even Muay Thai.

But every person with common sense know that it is bull shit..

but you dont see the flaw of being an instructor at even a low level after just 12 days.
and having to be a black belt at another art to do so,they borrow the student who is already skilled, give him a cert after 12 days and say look what we produced, a fighter.

now i am convinced further that is flawed, one thing that cannot fool a fighter and thats the eye.

i have watched elite krav maga instructors teach, they have poor technique, the eye does not lie, however the untrained eye is another story.

If Krav Maga was effective it has been water downed a great deal. I am sure this fighting system like others was effective or still is but the instruction you find on internet courses or magazine advertised seminars is not legit.

I hear a lot of people say the israeli military uses it. Well if they do they probably train a lot every day for years. They dont go to a 12 day courses and become a master.

I have tried out some classes but it wasnt for me to continue following. Though I did learn some interesting things.

Where I live the Krav Maga studio has fighters who compete in mma.

Take from that what you will.

I think i have been somewhat foolish in looking at krav maga like i expext them to be champions, I am used to working with champions.
I should remember its aim is to defend yourself, if krav maGa achieves this it is a great success.
every art has something to offer in that respect.

I think i have been somewhat foolish in looking at krav maga like i expext them to be champions, I am used to working with champions.
I should remember its aim is to defend yourself, if krav maGa achieves this it is a great success.
every art has something to offer in that respect.

Having trained one year in self-defence Krav Maga, with previous experience in Judo and a bit of boxing, before I've switched to BJJ i'd like to sum things up and try to explain what is and isn't KM.

1) Is Krav Maga a the base a military hand-to-hand combat method, designed to injure and kill, "and do it ASAP"? Yes it is. Civilian Self-Defense KM isn't it the same thing? NO IT ISN'T. Show me the jerk of a city maire which wants his tax payers to become a street killing mashines? Even within military version of Krav Maga, KM for special forces is not the same, as KM for a conscript or civilian.

2) Can SD Krav Maga outmatch some highly technical striking arts as MT or Boxing, or outgrapple BJJ, the answer is no, and it's not its purpose, which doesn't make it useless piece of crap, in my opinion. Experienced KM practitioner has quite the same chances of winning the street fight against experienced MTyer, as a local cop in a suit against pro-lawyer. Only maybe if it actually went to the ground and KMer managed to inflict some savage suffering to MTyer, like gouge his eyes and strike him in the throat (and you will learn how to do this, and many other nasty things from many different positions).

BUT!

If for example, my brother in law, who is a honest worker, works as electronic engineer, did his military service, has a good family, very nice kid but has absolutely no interest in martial arts (like maybe 70-80% of Western World male population) asks me for advise "if i want to learn how to successfully defend myself and my family in hostile street situation what MA should i do?" Knowing, that in my country even simply having a gun with you in a street will put you in jail for like few years, I think I would advise him to take a year or year and a half in Krav Maga for a couple of reasons:

Unless you are an antisocial, lonely pathetic freak no-family, no kids to feed, to whom assaulting people in the street is a usual week-end delight, who has a pack of criminal charges and who, basically doesn't give a f about the consequences, self-defense actualy HAS rules and it calls the LAW. Knowing what you can, and what you cannot do is a first and essential component of any decent self-defense system. If the guy insulted and slapped you in the face, beating the living crap out of him, or go to the ground and destroy his arm with a good old americana will cost you a helluva a lot of money, sometimes your job with all pain in the ass, which will follow, especially if you are a father, the only and unique source of revenus for your wife and kids.

Technically, in KM you will learn basic striking, basic low kicks, first. By training them every day they

Good post above. I recently took a Krav Seminar on gun defenses. Here was my impression of that experience:

The facility was high end, spacious, clean, and professional looking.

Every single employee was extremely fit (moreso than some "fighters" and "gym goers). Another thing I noticed was that both the owners and employees were extremely successful in their lives and in their communities and not one of them had an ounce of fat. Another thing--talked to nearly every one of them or got background on each--they were truly impressive as people.

Now--the seminar was done to support wounded warriors. The actual owner of the studio is the one that taught. He went around and introduced himself and shook the hand of EVERY single participant. He taught every technique in a building block fashion from ground up, making sure to explain minute details of everything. When he got it to the point of everyone doing the entire disarm, he introduced elements of stress by yelling, screaming, etc. Then coupled that with being tired and distracted with folks doing knees on a pad with one individual and then have someone put the gun on them to do the disarm. At the end he discussed the castle law which discussed the legality of shooting someone on your property.

So in summation, the krav maga product seems to cater to the individuals who want to be in the best shape they can, while also having a bit of self defense knowledge both physically and legally. In my opinion KM produces a high end product that is worth the money.

Is it a combat art? No. Is what they teach effective for the scenarios given? Absolutely.

Last edited:
Is it a combat art? No. Is what they teach effective for the scenarios given? Absolutely.

Perfect summary of what Krav Maga is. And i have heard a serious KM practitioner claim anything else.. So i dont get all the childish hate for this system.

Perfect summary of what Krav Maga is. And i have heard a serious KM practitioner claim anything else.. So i dont get all the childish hate for this system.

Comparing KM to any combat art is apples and oranges. Two totally different products taught for different reasons and in different ways.

Doing the KM reminded me of the courses I took in the military--from the demeanor of the instructor to the detail they use on even the most basic things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back