is Krav Maga really effective

Status
Not open for further replies.
Techniques are effective only if you repetitively train them and ingrain them into muscle memory. The issue that I have with KM is that there are few, if any, full contact sparring or any drills to practise the techniques

Techniques are effective only if you repetitively train them and ingrain them into muscle memory. The issue that I have with KM is that there are few, if any, full contact sparring or any drills to practise the techniques

What locations have you checked out? Many KM places have comprehensive sparring programs that include getting people acclimated to sparring in a safe and staged manner.

The best places continue to do this as well as introduce multiple attackers, stress drill scenarios, situational awareness, response options ,and full contact. And no, eye gouges, bites, and throat rips (Macgruber) aren't part of the sparring.

There is enough range in what most places offer that a soccer mom who wants an hard workout and learn some self defense techniques without getting black eyes or broken bones can accomplish her goals. On the other end of the spectrum there room for the heavy weights who want to get into things a little harder, fight with full resistance, as well as drill multiple attacker / weapon scenarios.

I'm providing this detail from a point of knowledge, not speculation. Your mileage may vary from gym to gym or organization to organization -same as Muay Thai. But, as a system KM has evolved (that's part of their philosophy) to address these gaps.

Hell, checkout KM San Antonio. They have a facility to train car jacking, getting held up while taking groceries out of your car, ATM stickups, Airplane situations - with full resistance and doing the same drills when you are protecting your spouse/children.

No, its not boxing. No, its not BJJ. No, its not Muay Thai. No, its not better. Its just another set of tools.

What locations have you checked out? Many KM places have comprehensive sparring programs that include getting people acclimated to sparring in a safe and staged manner.

The best places continue to do this as well as introduce multiple attackers, stress drill scenarios, situational awareness, response options ,and full contact. And no, eye gouges, bites, and throat rips (Macgruber) aren't part of the sparring.

There is enough range in what most places offer that a soccer mom who wants an hard workout and learn some self defense techniques without getting black eyes or broken bones can accomplish her goals. On the other end of the spectrum there room for the heavy weights who want to get into things a little harder, fight with full resistance, as well as drill multiple attacker / weapon scenarios.

I'm providing this detail from a point of knowledge, not speculation. Your mileage may vary from gym to gym or organization to organization -same as Muay Thai. But, as a system KM has evolved (that's part of their philosophy) to address these gaps.

Hell, checkout KM San Antonio. They have a facility to train car jacking, getting held up while taking groceries out of your car, ATM stickups, Airplane situations - with full resistance and doing the same drills when you are protecting your spouse/children.

No, its not boxing. No, its not BJJ. No, its not Muay Thai. No, its not better. Its just another set of tools.

i have a hard time believeing the multiple attackers training is very effective. i've been in a MA school that drilled multiple attackers with knives and/or clubs. it was ok. but it definitely isn't exactly realistic. it's more to just get your reflexes up, because rarely would you have multiple attackers attacking one at a time with very telegraphed attacks.

peoples multiple attackers defence can be improved, what you must understand is its not taught as a sure way to win, its taught to improve your chance to defend youself.

footwork and positioning can help a great deal.

i have a hard time believeing the multiple attackers training is very effective. i've been in a MA school that drilled multiple attackers with knives and/or clubs. it was ok. but it definitely isn't exactly realistic. it's more to just get your reflexes up, because rarely would you have multiple attackers attacking one at a time with very telegraphed attacks.

How many times have you done the multiple attacker drill and how much reality/resistance was put in play? You can't take 1 example and draw a conclusion from that.

That being said, it just plain sucks to have 2 people coming at you. Trying to circle and keeping 1 in between the other is a defense that you work and work and work. With 3 people its exponentially more difficult.

I'm not claiming that its a guarantee. Just like training in any sport isn't a guarantee that you will win - but you will improve your chances.

There is no magic solution. Luck is something that you have or you don't. Skill is something that you hone or you don't. Drills are something that you do or you don't. Thinking thru scenarios is one thing. Drilling thru scenarios and reviewing for feedback is another. Doing it repeatedly over an extended period of time while increasing your responsiveness, recognition of threats, and combative skills may still not save your ass - but it will improve the odds.

The only time any martial art can claim that they've actually trained their "deadly" eye gouges and groin grabs if I see the students and instructors there have eyepatches and are talking in falsetto.

And by jove, I hope nobody actually does that, since that's just as counterproductive.

As for the multiple attackers thing? Play team sports like basketball and football, theoretically, you'll learn the position and footwork there. It doesn't matter if they're holding knives or you're holding the ball, if you move well, you won't be surrounded or cornered easily.

peoples multiple attackers defence can be improved, what you must understand is its not taught as a sure way to win, its taught to improve your chance to defend youself.

footwork and positioning can help a great deal.

Payak, come train me.

I'll give you room and board.

Man, Krav-Maga is all about drills. Actually one can arguee that it's so much drilling that it can drive you mad.

Even though I don't train it, KM does work for real practical street defense. I think ive posted this a bunch of times but I'll post again, long as you're getting good instruction KM works as well as anything on the street. Do people still really question this?

Maybe it's because I'm in LA and KM here is like Bjj. The best training you can get outside the homeland of the art is here

it's not on the art but the fighter itself who applies it.

in cebu im going to try this coz its rare to have a krav maga seminar here. gonna try if it really is good and useful.

529874_277084149043068_717642928_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back