Is Lao or Isan more useful to learn in Thailand?

Robocok

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm dating a Thai girl in the US right now and have been learning Thai because I want to visit Thailand and train and maybe even have a fight. She told me she wants me to learn Isan. Don't more people speak Lao than Isan? Can anyone give me more insight on Thai language dialects and what's more useful?

I was thinking about training in Chiang Mai because it's cheap but she says Bangkok is better for muay thai. What do you guys think?

I could be wrong but I think the language is a mix of Thai and Khmer. I remember when I was near Buriram a lady told me this but it could of just been for that specific area.

You're better off just learning Thai because even if they know another language most speak Thai

Yeah when I went to Sakon Nakhon in Isan, to visit a friend/gym buddy I met in Samui, they all speak Thai but have their own dialect that I think is similar Laos. Also Bangkok training is pricey imo so depends where and what you're after.. Kiatphontip or Sitmonchai would probably be the only 2 gyms I would bother with imo

I'm pretty sure Isan is a dialect of Lao that has been influenced by Thai. I would learn Thai just so you can understand most Thais and also the fight announcers in the youtube videos.

Learn Isaan. They can understand Thais, but people who speak Central Thai do not always understand Isaan/Lao. There are just more words in Isaan/Lao so the overlap covers Central Thai. Also pretty much everyone you'll run into in Muay Thai circles will speak Isaan since that is where the majority of the fighters come from. Be aware that it is considered a bit of a country bumpkin dialect and that may sway some people's perception of you (Hi-So Thais). Fun languages to learn, though they can be difficult especially since many Isaan people have thick accents.

Chiang Mai is getting more and more expensive, personally I prefer BKK as there are more options for food, shopping, nightlife, etc. Chiang Mai is dead after midnight and the street food scene is pretty weak. Where is the gf from? I live with an Isaan family in BKK (my trainer's family), they are a ton of fun.

My understanding is the majority of the bordering towns are mixed and speak different languages. I also think its a mix of thai/khmer. I have never heard of anyone speaking laos in thailand although if there is a town that borders laos I wouldnt be surprised.

Learn Isaan. They can understand Thais, but people who speak Central Thai do not always understand Isaan/Lao. There are just more words in Isaan/Lao so the overlap covers Central Thai. Also pretty much everyone you'll run into in Muay Thai circles will speak Isaan since that is where the majority of the fighters come from. Be aware that it is considered a bit of a country bumpkin dialect and that may sway some people's perception of you (Hi-So Thais). Fun languages to learn, though they can be difficult especially since many Isaan people have thick accents.

Chiang Mai is getting more and more expensive, personally I prefer BKK as there are more options for food, shopping, nightlife, etc. Chiang Mai is dead after midnight and the street food scene is pretty weak. Where is the gf from? I live with an Isaan family in BKK (my trainer's family), they are a ton of fun.
She's from Khon Kaen.

for useful training all over thailand i suggest thai, but for impress your girlfriend and stay in northeast isaan/lao

I would learn Mandarin. All the wealthy people are chinese, and China is poised to take over Asia.

I would learn Mandarin. All the wealthy people are chinese, and China is poised to take over Asia.

No, many rich people in thailand are chinese heritage but they usually don't speak chinese anymore and adopted thai culture.

Nice. I'm a fan of girls from that area. Does she have the high round cheek bones and big eyes?
I don't know. I googled high cheekbones and I'm still not sure what the difference between high and low cheekbones. I think she's pretty hot.

She just hit me with the marriage talk yesterday... I told her no way. I feel bad because I totally understand that she wants citizenship but I am not down. She didn't break up with me but I might have to do it because I don't want to waste her time.

why are all chinese rich?!?!?!?

many early chinese in thailand were businessmen and entrepreneurs and are now dominating the economic sector there. and with wealth the political power came, that's why also many politician are thai chinese. but as I said most identify as thai, and don't speak chinese anymore.

basically the story of most ethnic chinese throughout south east asia.

I'm dating a Thai girl in the US right now and have been learning Thai because I want to visit Thailand and train and maybe even have a fight. She told me she wants me to learn Isan. Don't more people speak Lao than Isan? Can anyone give me more insight on Thai language dialects and what's more useful?

I was thinking about training in Chiang Mai because it's cheap but she says Bangkok is better for muay thai. What do you guys think?

Learn Thai and try and pick up a bit of Isarn/Lao as well, a lot of words similar, unless your going to stay in Isarn then Thai is much better option as you won't just want to speak to trainers etc.. and if your in a gym full of Southern Thai's you won't understand a thing either. If you go to Chiang Mai isarn not spoken their either, Northern dialect different again, central Thai is by far the best language to concentrate on and just add in some Isarn dialect too

I could be wrong but I think the language is a mix of Thai and Khmer. I remember when I was near Buriram a lady told me this but it could of just been for that specific area.

You're better off just learning Thai because even if they know another language most speak Thai

That southern part of Isarn, Buriram, Surin, Sisaket has a lot of Khmer speakers, depending on the villages, some of the villages the elder generation don't always understand Thai

Isan ladies are considered the most ratchet and poor ones in Thai, btw.

Isan ladies are considered the most ratchet and poor ones in Thai, btw.
I think she's beautiful and nice. She gave me a free massage and even paid for lunch for me and her friends.

Back